The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 17, 2005, 11:48 AM   #1
PythonGuy

Local home invasions are increasing!

Although I tend to downplay home carry as being overly neurotic, I was disturbed to hear on the local news that the rate of home invasions in Nassau County, NY, my neighboring county, is rising at an alarming rate.
Here is a link: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/lo...ostemailedlink. The invasions take the form of a group of 3 or 4 masked perps, armed, that cover the head of the victim families and procede to rob them. Now I'm not saying that being armed would be a good strategy, if I was alone that would be one thing, but I have a wife and two children at home and fear if I escalated the situation someone in my family would get shot or taken hostage. We have a dog and alarms and would get some advanced warning, but the homes are close and the walls are sheetrock, and I'm worried about bullets hitting innocent bystanders. A hell of a situation and again, I have to admit I always deride the idea of home protection, and now its close to my home, sigh. Anyone know of a good force field company?

Last edited by PythonGuy; October 17, 2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old October 17, 2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Musketeer

I live in Suffolk county, next to Nassau, and have been following the home invasion spree. I must disagree that you feel using a weapon to stop a home invasion woud escalate the situation... The current situation is that the families are tied up and taken hostage while their homes are robbed. If you live or die, your wife and children are raped or left intact is entirely beyond your control when you decide to surrender yourself. I couldn't imagine my surrenderring the option of resisting in the hopes that the bad guys are having a good day and feeling generous... The longer these invasions go on the bolder these criminals are going to get. They are on to something now on Long Island and other criminals are soon going to follow. Every robbery has been a well publicized success. More will follow and it would be foolish to believe that none of them will turn violent against the homeowner. Most of them already believe Long Island homes to be unarmed and easy pickings.

When in the house I carry, all the time. Even if I am in sweatpants I can throw on a SmartCarry and have either my 1911 or S&W J frame handy and perfectly comfortable. When sleeping they are both loaded and in the master bedroom, along with my cell phone on its charger and a couple flashlights. On more than one occasion, since the SmartCarry is so comfortable, I have fallen asleep on the couch or in my little girls room with it on, as daddy often falls asleep while getting her down... Remember, a home invader will very likely take the phone off the hook downstairs to prevent outgoing calls.

Finally some form of warning is critical. Alarms are good, even just window sensors that make noise if openned. I have a 100 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback that is one of the best gaurd dogs I have ever owned. He is stubborn as a mule and harder to train because of it but he only barks when something is there and takes protecting the home and family seriously. On more than one night he has heard something in the woods behind our back fence that I have missed. I'll let him out and he hits that 6 ft. fence like a frieght train. It is not uncommon to hear running footsteps in the woods at that point. At only 1 year old today (Happy Birthday Colt!) I couldn't ask for much more. Nobody is getting in unnoticed.

Once again, I must reitterate my position that unless you are already staring down the barrel of a gun it is better to resist than surrender the lives of your family and you to a criminal who has already shown no respect for the law.
Old October 17, 2005, 12:16 PM   #3
pax

Quote:
Once again, I must reitterate my position that unless you are already staring down the barrel of a gun it is better to resist than surrender the lives of your family and you to a criminal who has already shown no respect for the law.
I decided a long time ago that I would never be tied up. That's one of my personal boundaries. I'd rather die fighting, even if it's hopeless.

pax
Old October 17, 2005, 12:24 PM   #4
Eghad

I think a Remington Express 870 would generate the required force field.

NRA Life Member
Old October 17, 2005, 12:30 PM   #5
Trip20

When your home is invaded - the invader has escalated the situation. You had no say-so in the matter.

As stated above – once you surrender, you now put you and your family's lives in the hands of a criminal – and you’re going to expect them to be nice?

Surrendering is the last option - as in, when your caught off guard because you believe carrying at home is neurotic. Your unarmed, now you gotta surrender.

Ya know, being armed at home, doesn't mean you must walk around looking like Rambo. It can be discreet, comfortable, and practical.

Stay safe - this stuff is real.
Old October 17, 2005, 12:41 PM   #6
swmike

How many Home Invasion Robberies start like this?

Knock-Knock (or ding-dong if there is a button outside)

Door opened by occupant

Several people rush in before occupant can respond

I have watched more people than I can remember respond to a knock or doorbell by just opening the door to see who is there. Maybe it would be different if:

Knock-Knock
Occupant checks Monitor from Security camera at front entrance (or peephole if not willing to spring for vid system)

Asks party their business through intercom (or shouts through door)
Recognizes threat from video and notifies 911 while arming himself.
Police arrive or threat leaves.

All through encounter, front door remained closed and bolted.

Not perfect scenario but a lot better than throwing open the door and then saying "Aw [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]" as you are knocked on your @$$

BTW if you are worried about secondary access like side, back doors, or windows, what good is that steel front door with a 1" deadbolt if you have 5 other easier means of access.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 17, 2005, 12:48 PM   #7
Musketeer

So far most oof the Long Island invasions have been at night through an unlocked window, according to reports.even windows I leave partially open at night have a lock that keeps someone from coming throug and is impossible to disable from the outside. As the temperature drops though more homes are going to shut their windows at night. I wonder if this will make the invaders bolder about breaking in while families are awake, lead to a hiatus in the invasions, or just reduce their frequency?
Old October 17, 2005, 01:10 PM   #8
Trip20

Very true swmike.

A few weeks back, I was awaken by knocking at my door - it was 3:30am. My dog is barking like crazy.

With out getting into a long story... I couldn't sleep the rest of the night.

I think about how easy it would have been for someone to push right in when I answered. I also didn't like how long it took me to get my stuff together prior to answering the door. I learned from this brief, and thankfully uneventful encounter.
Old October 17, 2005, 01:16 PM   #9
gb_in_ga

"Ya know, being armed at home, doesn't mean you must walk around looking like Rambo. It can be discreet, comfortable, and practical."

Correct. I've recently just started to just CCW in the house. I keep the Bersa on my person, IWB, while at home. It is reasonably discreet, it is comfortable, and since it is on my person I will have it should that sort of thing actually happen. Of course, that's before bed -- after that, it's the wheelgun in the bedside table and the Bersa goes under the bed in a case as backup.
Old October 17, 2005, 01:18 PM   #10
Trip20

gb_in_ga - are you the same guy from the BersaTalk forum? Just curious.
Old October 17, 2005, 01:23 PM   #11
PythonGuy

I own .45's and .357's and a Glock 9mm that is probably the best option for this type of situation. I also own a couple of AR-15's but that might be overkill. I can shoot pretty well and can dot an i at 15 feet or less, so is the Glock my best option? I've read on here and other forums that it doesn't matter what you use, moreso how you use it. I think I am proficient with my weapons and shoot once a week rotating through my collection, except the unfired python's, of course. I'm a careful person, but my wife, despite all my warnings, is the type to open first, or just leave the door open and wander to the neighbors. She'd fight me about carry to some extent, but I think I'm going to go "paranoid" on this one and use the Glock. Thoughts and opinions as I am far too passive in this area being born and raised in NYC.
Old October 17, 2005, 01:44 PM   #12
blackmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonGuy
I'm a careful person, but my wife, despite all my warnings, is the type to open first, or just leave the door open and wander to the neighbors. She'd fight me about carry to some extent, but I think I'm going to go "paranoid" on this one and use the Glock. Thoughts and opinions as I am far too passive in this area being born and raised in NYC.

I used to live on L.I., so I know where you're coming from. It gives a great illusion of being a safe-from-crime kinda place, but it's not.

I wonder why it is that in a place like NYC, which as a city has always had an elevated interpersonal crime rate, people end up bred to be PASSIVE. Wouldn't you think, intuitively, that being in a high-crime area would condition the populace to be alert and perceptive to their surroundings, and resistant when criminals confront them? It seems that the wolves have truly created sheep somehow, if this attitude is prevalent.

I think it's probably time to make a serious impression on your wife. If she is going to be the type to read about and know about the violent home invasions that are taking place all around (and nobody can be sure that they are not next, since it seems random), and yet still insist on being careless and, yes, STUPID about security, then it behooves you to set her straight, for the sake of your kids, you, and her.

Or is she believing in the nonsensical illusion that somehow the police still are a means of salvation even if these guys are already at the door?

I mean it, you are going to have to lay down the law about what is tolerable as far as being lackadaisical at the front door (and elsewhere). Maybe you could read her accounts of the victims of the recent robberies and ask how she'd feel if your children were tied up by invaders. You're going to have to hit her in the emotion department, unfortunately, because a sheeple "say-no-to-guns" female can often be reached only in that way. Good luck.

-blackmind
Old October 17, 2005, 01:58 PM   #13
sm

*Someone* recently PM'd me and their words are what prompt me to type what I am about to. No matter what fussing I get as a result.

Concerns of confrontations, or serious situations in one's home or business is not a new thing. Just some of us may of have been raised in an enviroment which these concerns where part of how raised - even if - in my case I am now 50 years old.

I was also just flat raised with the idea of a firearm was "handy" at the home/ business/ travels , if not on person back in the day and age simply because " That is what one did". City or country - no nevermind, we didn't have persmission papers or anything saying yeah or nay...Just how stuff was done- period.

My concerns have always been entering, leaving, or answering the door. I mean having a long gun is great, the reality is one doesn't get to always tote one in these situations. Hence the sidearm on person - preferebly concealed for element of surprise, and not advertising one' self.

Folks kidded about Guns in the Bathroom, well in Hotels/ Motels one never knows when "room service" may knock and let themselves in. Nor does one know how many Master Keys for your Apt has been given to maintence persons - past or present.

I had access to valuables. I had access to alarms, and safes which held said valuables. We had Professionals that roamed different areas with different "skills". Some by-passed alarms, some were 'back the tow-truck in, snag safe and drive off", some kidnapped folks...all sorts of Professionals.

One learns from mistakes - less expensive and painful if learned from someone else's-Mentor and Elder.

I did not order a Pizza, I used peep-hole. I called my neighbor, she didn't either, she like me wondered why a Pizza guy would be using a Rental Car. I dunno, but when LEO advises me a new MO has been happening, and some Professionals are reportedly in the area...I stay put and make a direct call to someone in LEO.

Been walked in on in my Apt, Motels and Hotels. I also happened to be in a Hotel Bathroom when a fella let himself in and the other folks were caught by surprise....bathroom just happened to be near door, this fella was well into the room, I came up from behind.

Alarm company called. I headed out the door in a hurry at 2AM. Weather was bad , I show up and guess what, no alarm going off...and that car I tried to lose, showed up anyway. You drive to LEO station and lay on the horn for help. I never ever again left to answer an alarm without calling Alarm company to make sure my alarm was ging off - and the LEO had been notified to meet me...

I also learned to have a codeword with Alarm company...seems the Professionals figured out that little detail when they would kidnap a guy's wife, family and make the guy at gun point open business and safes...

Good idea to have beefed up window and doors, motion lights and such. Home alarms are good...still it really sucks to arrive to abode and the guys are good enough to by-pass alarms and greet you at your front door. It really ruins one's evening. I had my fun filled evening...

I'll mention a competitor's wife beat him home, they took two cars to work that day. His wife had the shotgun bbl in her mouth when he opened his door. He got to go back to work with someone riding with him, and his wife being babysitted.

Another had the fun time of riding around in the trunk for hours, his family too had company, he made the mistake of opening his business for a "late customer". He had a wee hours in the morning all right. This was the night I was targeted for same...only like an idiot " you were hard as hell to predict, and when we did find you, you picked up the phone while looking directly across the street at our car". I heard this face to face thru cell bars, I had to hear this and face that demon when they were caught. I had to know how come it was not me that night. My call...I just called a customer to let them know I had something ready for them is all. Pure Luck. I saw the car all right, not uncommon for folks to park there...

This using of Uniforms of Utility companies and delivery folks ain't new either...

This "bump and grab" when driving is not new either. Car bumps you, you get out and rut-roh. Of course this run off road and shoot the driver thru window isn't either...

So while I prefer a 12 ga with slugs, while I do all the stuff best I can to not get into situations, take precautions best can, from beefing up the home, lights, locks, patio doors and such...kinda hard to handle a 12 ga while driving too..

I still have to enter, leave, answer the door. A true gentleman removes the dishes before he tinkles in the sink...but ya know, sometimes you do have to use the bathroom. And since I never can be sure another will take precautions in answering door or there is not a Master Key floating about, or perhaps the fella is smart enought to listen to shower running outside bathroom window...

I'll just wear a handgun(s) concealed all the time , in the bathroom have one, and in sleeping have it handy as well.

Nobody said these learning curves were gonna be fun...they got that right.

Steve
Old October 17, 2005, 01:58 PM   #14
Musketeer

Quote:
I wonder why it is that in a place like NYC, which as a city has always had an elevated interpersonal crime rate, people end up bred to be PASSIVE. Wouldn't you think, intuitively, that being in a high-crime area would condition the populace to be alert and perceptive to their surroundings, and resistant when criminals confront them? It seems that the wolves have truly created sheep somehow, if this attitude is prevalent.
Those who live there I believe consider themselves very "street savy" but it is the "savy" of the prey antelope as opposed to the lion. People will avoid eye contact, dark alleys and perhaps blind corners but like a herd of antelope crossing a river eventually one is going to get taken by the crocodiles. The attitude that exists is of not being the one caught as opposed to being able to fight back if it happens.

In addition cities like NY are centers of social care. The government will make certain the ambulance shows up, the street lights work, the power stays on and the busses run. Living in an artificially modelled enviorment such as a city where so many day to day needs are handled by "the authorities" leads individuals to put all concerns beyond the daily paycheck (and even that for the multi-generational welfare class) into the realm of "government's problems."

You have a tough problem with the wife, especially on Long Island. Sad as it is to say all she has to do is call the Suffolk County PD and tell them she thinks you are paranoid and you may see your handguns taken away. Stupid but true.
Old October 17, 2005, 02:40 PM   #15
PythonGuy

Great posts from all, and I particularly agree with Musketeer's last statement. I grew up in NYC and had to use my wits to survive in a middle class Queens neighborhood. While I couldn't fight all the foes and predator's that abound there, I was able to outsmart and avoid them for survival. There is no recourse to carry, you just had to be faster to evade and out think the enemy. I had minority groups try and steal my bikes, one even came up to my driveway and stole my new Schwinn 10 speed I just got for my birthday, because at 10 I was too naive and trusting. You kind of get arrogant that you can survive this way and that somehow makes you better. My wife grew up there too, and she was in situations that put her at risk as a child having lived in an apartment complex that was taken over by minority groups who then preyed on the remaining white population. She tolerates my gun avocation, but would not like loaded guns around the house due to our children, the youngest of which is 8. As for the Suffolk County Police, my wife would never call and tell them I'm paranoid or unsafe as I am the most careful person about my guns you could imagine. The Police would respond as you suggested though, they even called her when I was obtaining my permit may years ago and asked all sorts of questions about domestic violence, my temper, etc. I am getting some literature about the break-ins as another writer suggested, my coworker's husband is a Nassau County officer assigned to the home invasion case. There are some flyers and reports that have been prepared to "enlighten" homeowners to the situations. He himself is torn between protecting his family and being at work long hours working on the case leaving wife and children at home. I have no qualms about legally protecting my family and home.
Old October 17, 2005, 02:49 PM   #16
chadwimc

All the home invasion type attacks in our area(sw Ohio) involve minorities and drugs. Since I have niether in or near my home, I'd have to assume the worst was in store for me. Unless the goblin's gun was on my nose or against my jellybelly, I'm fighting for my life...
Old October 17, 2005, 03:08 PM   #17
Bravo25

Quote:
I decided a long time ago that I would never be tied up. That's one of my personal boundaries. I'd rather die fighting, even if it's hopeless.
When I worked as a Loss Prevention Supervisor, I had to tell my people that in case of a robbery, just comply, and give them what they want. This was company policy. My policy that I couldn't give to employees was just this....

BG comes in, and wants the money, he can have it. All of it. Cash register, and everything just as hard, and as fast as I can throw it at him, with me coming over the counter right behind it. And as for going to the back of the store, and getting on my knees, sorry that isn't how it is going to go down. I would rather die fighting, than to die laying down.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old October 17, 2005, 04:39 PM   #18
sm

Quote:
BG comes in, and wants the money, he can have it. All of it. Cash register, and everything just as hard, and as fast as I can throw it at him, with me coming over the counter right behind it. And as for going to the back of the store, and getting on my knees, sorry that isn't how it is going to go down. I would rather die fighting, than to die laying down.
I have given a very similar speech.

Nobody, Nobody gets taken out of the store, or to the back. Nobody. I had guns stashed here and there along with whomever was carrying concealed on premise. Employees got range time - I made sure of that.

I had one more rule, for me. IF..IF the BG has me with a gun to me, I am going to drop like a rock ( try to anyway) and I expect someone to take the shot(s) at BG(s). Worst case, I dont' make it, still Nobody was going to get taken to the back, or off premises.

Twice we had some smart-aleck person come in. First was a teenager of a business owner close to us, the second an obnoxious customer.

"This is a stickup!"

Twice we had folks with urine soaked pants and shaking like leaves. They never did that again. Word is my 'come to Jesus meeting" about NOT telling anyone about us, firearms or anything as a result...was heard in neighboring counties and the language was meant to stick.

I may like to kid and have fun about some matters- I have some I take very very serious!!
Old October 17, 2005, 06:20 PM   #19
Bullrock

Quote:
Knock-Knock
Occupant checks Monitor from Security camera at front entrance (or peephole if not willing to spring for vid system)
I agree with Mike. The front and back of my home is well lighted throughout the night with dusk to dawn lamps. We do not answer the door during the day or after dark unless we verify who it is. We don't have a vid.

On the other hand I have a medical problem with my eyes and use medication in them every night before bed. My wife sleeps on the side of the bed that is closest to the bedroom door. She tells the story of a BG breaking in during the night. Awakened by my terrier, I reach for my HD gun on the nightstand.

Through blurred vision I see a form in the doorway and take her out thinking she's the BG!!! Through continued blurred vision, I ask, 'Is there anyone else???

It's really not that bad. My vision is only blurred for about 30 minutes. She seems to enjoy telling the story at family gatherings...
Old October 17, 2005, 07:56 PM   #20
USP45usp

Quote:
doesn't mean you must walk around looking like Rambo.
Dang, . No wonder people look at me funny when they come over. I guess the face paint is abit of overkill ( ).

Good posts. Sorry about your wife being that way, but if you can, you need to really sit her down and have a talk with her. Especially for the kids sake (hey, "it's for the children" does work in the correct context and reason).

If you don't have a good outside light by your front/back door(s), they should be your first order of business and if your wife insist on opening up the door, get one of the door latches, not the chain type but the all metal type and put one between the top/middle and the other one between the bottom and middle. They will hold better. And don't use the small screws that come with them, get the wood screws that will go in about 2in at a minimum. I use the 2.5in types. You may need to drill the holes abit wider so they work.

Good luck to you.

Wayne
Old October 17, 2005, 09:09 PM   #21
JohnKSa
Staff

I will not be taken captive in my home.

I had an ND in my kitchen awhile back. No one in the neighborhood called the cops. That's when it really hit home for me that whatever happens in my house is pretty much off the radar for the rest of the neighborhood. And THAT means that once I'm a prisoner in my own house, there's not much chance that anyone will figure it out until the criminals have accomplished their purpose. Even if they shoot someone, and no matter how much screaming goes on, it's highly unlikely that anyone but the people in the house will notice.

I guess I could HOPE that they'll just take stuff and leave, but I don't believe that depending on the humanity and mercy of criminals is very wise.

Talk of "escalating the situation" only makes sense if one assumes that you already know the outcome. That is a false assumption. You have no way of knowing the outcome until it happens, and by then it will be too late. Maybe these guys are the same guys that have been robbing, or maybe they're not robbers at all, they're BTK copycats. Or maybe they are the same guys and after getting away with it for so long they have decided to up the stakes a bit and find out what a rape or murder is like.
Old October 17, 2005, 09:32 PM   #22
wayneinFL

Does anyone know if these home invasions are happening in neighborhoods where houses are close together? Or are they happening in more remote areas? I think this would be something that would be hard to do quietly. I would think this would discourage criminals from choosing more densely populated areas.

Of course in reality, I'm pretty sure someone could fire a gun in my house at midnight and none of my neighbors would notice. And they're all of 20 feet away measured house to house.

I carry in my home. If I'm carrying it all day at work to protect my own sorry butt, why unload it and lock it up in the safe when I get home and have the responsibility of protecting my precious wife and boys? A snubby in a pants pocket is discrete enough. I don't come across as a rambo or anything- I'm just another dad.

I used to have problems with my wife opening the door whenever someone knocked on it. She grew up in this neighborhood, and just feels safe here. She forgets her grandmother was attacked in the house next to us by someone who pushed his way in the door. Bad things can happen anywhere.

She's getting better about checking the door before she answers it nowadays. I let the Mormons in on her one day and they won't leave her alone.
Old October 17, 2005, 10:07 PM   #23
FLA2760

Re Home invasions

Hi
The thought of a home invasion brings great fear and apprenhension. The criminals have this working to their advantage. May I recomend the following things.
DO NOT OPEN YOUR DOOR TO ANYONE YOU DO NOT KNOW DAY OR NIGHT.
KEEP FRONT AND ALL OTHER DOORS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES.THIS GOES FOR SLIDERS AND FIRST FLOOR WINDOWS AS WELL
MAKE SURE IF YOU HAVE A GARAGE PARTICUARLY AN ATTACHED GARAGE KEEP THE GARAGE DOOR DOWN AT ALL TIMES. I live in Florida and the open garage door is a favorite point of entry for home invaders. These mutts cruise neighborhoods looking for open garage doors and other vulnerabilities.
INSTALL GOOD QUALITY LOCKS AND MOTION SENSITIVE OUTDOOR LIGHTING; HALOGEN IF YOU CAN.
A MONITORED ALARM SYSTEM WITH THE PANIC BUTTON FEATURE IS KEY.A BIG DOG IF THAT IS FEASABLE. A FULLY CHARGED CELL PHONE(PHONE LINES ARE CUT SOMETIMES)
GOD FORBID THAT ALL THIS IS CIRCUMVENTED AND THEY GET IN. GET YOUR FAMILY INTO A SAFE ROOM WITH A STURDY DOOR. SAID SAFE ROOM WOULD BE EQUIPED WITH THE SECOND12GA PUMP SHOTGUN THAT IS TRAINED AT THE DOOR BY YOUR WIFE OR WHOEVER CAN FIRE IT AND CYCLE THE ACTION.MOSSBERG 500 IS WHAT I HAVE. YOU ARE BETWEEN YOUR FAMILY AND THE HOME INVADERS WITH THE 1ST 12 GAUGE FIRING AT THEM. GET A LARGE CALIBER HANDGUN LIKE A .357 REVOLVER WITH A 4'' BARREL OR A .40 OR.45 SEMI AUTO SUCH AS A GLOCK AND CARRY IT AROUND THE HOUSE IN A FANNY PACK. Good luck. You and your family be safe.
Steve
Old October 17, 2005, 10:09 PM   #24
FLA2760

Re Home invasions

Hi
The thought of a home invasion brings great fear and apprenhension. The criminals have this working to their advantage. May I recomend the following things.
DO NOT OPEN YOUR DOOR TO ANYONE YOU DO NOT KNOW DAY OR NIGHT.
KEEP FRONT AND ALL OTHER DOORS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES.
MAKE SURE IF YOU HAVE A GARAGE PARTICUARLY AN ATTACHED GARAGE KEEP THE GARAGE DOOR DOWN AT ALL TIMES; AND THE DOOR BETWEEN THE GARAGE AND HOUSE LOCKED AS WELL. I live in Florida and the open garage door is a favorite point of entry for home invaders. These mutts cruise neighborhoods looking for open garage doors and other vulnerabilities.
INSTALL GOOD QUALITY LOCKS AND MOTION SENSITIVE OUTDOOR LIGHTING; HALOGEN IF YOU CAN.
A MONITORED ALARM SYSTEM WITH THE PANIC BUTTON FEATURE IS KEY.A BIG DOG IF THAT IS FEASABLE. A FULLY CHARGED CELL PHONE(PHONE LINES ARE CUT SOMETIMES)
GOD FORBID THAT ALL THIS IS CIRCUMVENTED AND THEY GET IN. GET YOUR FAMILY INTO A SAFE ROOM WITH A STURDY DOOR. SAID SAFE ROOM WOULD BE EQUIPED WITH THE SECOND12GA PUMP SHOTGUN THAT IS TRAINED AT THE DOOR BY YOUR WIFE OR WHOEVER CAN FIRE IT AND CYCLE THE ACTION.MOSSBERG 500 IS WHAT I HAVE. YOU ARE BETWEEN YOUR FAMILY AND THE HOME INVADERS WITH THE 1ST 12 GAUGE FIRING AT THEM. GET A LARGE CALIBER HANDGUN LIKE A .357 REVOLVER WITH A 4'' BARREL OR A .40 OR.45 SEMI AUTO SUCH AS A GLOCK AND CARRY IT AROUND THE HOUSE IN A FANNY PACK. Good luck. You and your family be safe.
Steve
Old October 18, 2005, 06:56 AM   #25
DocFox

Keep in mind, ladies and gentlemen, that those that commit home invasion EXPECT someone to be home. They are many times more likely to be armed, and are expecting violence. The situation had escalated before you knew they were there. Although I do not have the statistics in front of me at the moment ( I believe you can find them on the DOJ website) as I recall, there is a significant likelyhood that at least one occupent will be assualted or killed. They will know you have a dog, expect it to be killed and understand they will be "pumped up" from doing so.

This being said, yes , take care of your family, be prepared to defend them with a moments notice. But avoidance is the key to safety. Many good suggestions were given, and I will add (or restate) more :

1. Motion activated lighting near every entrance, not just constant lighting. A constant light will allow someone to be seen, an activated light DRAWS attention. Also, if possible, keep the light out of reach when installing them. It will be less likely they can disable the lights.

2. Watch the goings on in your neighborhood, and encourage your neighbors to do the same. Know what is out of place, and ask your neighbors if you see strange cars around. Communication is key. An active neighborhood watch can be invaluable.

3.Walk around your house. All doors and any windows with the windowsill at or below nipple level is a security risk. Keep all hedges trimmed to AT LEAST 1' to 2' BELOW the sightline from the street. Make any intruders expose themselves to gain access.

4. Double and triple pane windows make a "BOOMING" sound when shattered. It may scare the criminals off, but it WILL alert you and your neighbors that something is wrong.

5. If you have a security system, have an external strobe light added. It draws a great deal of attention and helps responding Polie to quickly locate your home.

6. Remember, most people do not have the training or on hand backup available to safely "investigate the noise at night". The concept of a "safe room" is sound. If something happens, gather your family in this room, and stay put while you wait for the Professionals, don't let them in this room, defend it. Keep a cordless phone or cellphone nearby, even at night.

7. Talk to the local officials. Police and Fire Department personell will be able to help you in keeping your home from being a viable target. Ask for their advice, and follow it.

These are just a few points for avoiding being a victim. Remember these words of profound wisdom:
" The best way out of trouble is to not be there in the first place" - J. Teeter