The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 28, 2000, 09:30 AM   #1
dennie suman

For the past several years I have carried a Leatherman tool almost constantly. Very handy at work, hunting, fishing, at the range, etc. Since I have had mine several years, it is one of the models that does not lock the blades in place. This gets very agrivating, and even dangerous at times.
Want to replace it with a new tool.
What are your experinces and preferences with the new Leatherman, as well as the many other brands. Suggestions???
Thanx for the help.
Dennie NRA Life Member, GOA
Old September 28, 2000, 10:04 AM   #2
cobraman

Get a Leatherman WAVE. They are the most baby!

------------------
Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart**** That's right I'm a gear whore and proud of it***

[This message has been edited by cobraman (edited September 28, 2000).]
Old September 28, 2000, 11:20 AM   #3
mnealtx

Leatherman "wave" is definitely the way to go...you can reach the knives/file/saw without opening the tool, plus the inside handles are rounded, so when you DO have to use the pliers, you arent killing your hands...

------------------
Mike
[email protected]
Old September 28, 2000, 01:10 PM   #4
manny1

Try a Gerber. I've had mine for years & have put it thur the test (working construction). The Gerber slides open where the Leathermans that I've seen folds open. Mine can be opened with a flick of the wrist. Try www.gerberstore.com & take a look. You won't be disappointed.
Old September 28, 2000, 02:43 PM   #5
voodoo

Swisstool.
Old September 28, 2000, 07:16 PM   #6
hksigwalther

On my way to the US Grand Prix in Indianapolis last week, we had stopped at Cabela's new store in Dundee, MI. Having read the comments on multitools in the knifeforum, I decided to buy a Wave to compare with the Gerber I've been carying around the past year or two. (Previously, I had always carried a SAK Champion (pre-Champ).

The Wave is very solidly built. No rattling, no squeaks, no loose parts, very tight. Lockinh blades as mentioned. The thins I fell could be better are the small tools on the inside. The flat screwdrivers seem a bit thin (at least compared to the Gerber's) and easier to bend when used hard. The scissors are better than the Gerber's. The philips screwdriver goes into the handle too deep. Have to pull up the tool next to it to get it to pop up even though there is a nail notch on the side of it. This brings up another minor point. When you pull out a tool, it will, more than likely pull out the tool(s) next to it too. (Gerber has stationary metal between tools to prevent this.) The biggest gripe is that the inside tools do not lock much like the SAKs. I've busted my knuckles more times using the screwdrivers than the knives. You can close the Wave with the tool extended but it can still collapse. (All of the tools in the Gerber lock.) The pliers, saw, file and knives on the Leatherman are longer. You can open and close the knives one-handed if needed.

Each multitool has its +s and -s. If only they'd combined the +s in each tool.

------------------
- Ron V.
Old September 28, 2000, 09:10 PM   #7
Marcus

If you use the knife blades and files more go with the WAVE. If you use the screwdrivers a lot the Gerbers are probably a better bet. Marcus
Old September 29, 2000, 09:26 AM   #8
dennie suman

Thanx to all for the input. I do use the screwdrivers and knife the most, so perhaps a tool that locks these would be best.
There are so many of these tools around now, it seems like the old question of which girl's the prettiest.
Thanx again.
Dennie
Old October 1, 2000, 08:46 PM   #9
RJT

The Swisstool is the best IMO.
Old October 6, 2000, 10:14 PM   #10
guerilla1138

gerber.
its tougher. tools are thicker, dont bend as easy.
snapped the file on 2 leathermans now.still on my first,now 3 year old gerber, no problems.
also available with locks.
new one looks really cool. check out their site.
Old October 9, 2000, 10:25 AM   #11
Joe Demko

I've owned a Gerber, a couple different Leathermans (Leathermen?), an SOG paratool, and a couple of department store cheapies. I have found that it is altogether a better idea to simply buy yourself a good quality pair of pliers and a Swiss Army Knife (Victorinox or Wenger) that has the tools you want. You can carry both in one of the many generic nylon belt pouches out there and the weight is not much more than one of the multitools. In addition, this combo lets you use your screwdriver and pliers at the same time. So, unless the folding pliers aspect of it is really important to you, I'd take this route.
Old October 11, 2000, 06:44 PM   #12
TwoGuns

Leatherman Wave, or the Leatherman Super Tool.
Old October 13, 2000, 03:27 AM   #13
Bennett Richards

I was lucky enough to get a Leatherman "Crunch" a small cool little visegrip tool.

Works GREAT!

Ben
Old October 15, 2000, 08:31 PM   #14
OF

Anyone used the Spyderco multitool?

- gabe
Old October 17, 2000, 06:49 AM   #15
dennie suman

I finally bought the Gerber, for a couple of reasons. The tools that I use the most, the screwdrivers and the knife blade all lock, and I like the smooth outside for gripping while using the pliers. I did not look a lot of places, but did not see the Swisstool or a couple of others that were mentioned. The "Wave" looked nice but the screwdriver blades do not lock.
I will try the one I bought and see how it works out. Also like the lifetime warranty.
Thanx for your replies. I may end up with all of them before it's over. Handy tools seem to me like handy guns. Can't have too many!
Dennie