The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2005, 12:57 PM   #1
DanV1317

sig 229/load in my pants

I usually shoot glocks, and they are nice and light. i want to switch over to sigs because they are more saftey friendly i believe. I enjoy shooting my 229, but damn it feels like i have a rock pulling my pants down. I use a wilderness belt and everything, but it is just a heavy gun compared so like a glock. Anybody else run into this problem?
Old September 13, 2005, 01:22 PM   #2
nbkky71

I own a couple Glocks, but I still carry a Sig P228. I shoot my Sig much better so I feel that the weight trade-off is acceptable. I carry mine in a Don Hume IWB clip-on.
Old September 13, 2005, 03:13 PM   #3
garrettwc

Quote:
i want to switch over to sigs because they are more saftey friendly i believe.
Why? Same concept; point gun, pull trigger. No external safeties.

Quote:
it is just a heavy gun compared so like a glock.
Compared to a Glock, everything's heavy.

Judging by your title, I will assume you are carrying IWB? Maybe you're not cinching the belt up tight enough or your waistband size is too big? Another option is the type of attachment points your holster has. The farther apart the loops, the more the weight is spread out.
Old September 13, 2005, 03:22 PM   #4
MADISON

Where to carry rounds?

Go to your local knife shop, with your magazine[S]. Get yourself cloth or leather case[S] to fit them.
Old September 13, 2005, 03:44 PM   #5
spacemanspiff

Quote:
Why? Same concept; point gun, pull trigger. No external safeties.
the option of DA and SA trigger pull is the difference.
Old September 13, 2005, 03:48 PM   #6
AMT8951

I carry a Glock 21 at work, and I sometimes carry a SIG 2340 off duty. I think in my case the Glock is a bit heavier. However in your case a Sig and a Glock, of the same caliber should both weigh pretty much the same. A Sig 229 and a Glock 22 both weigh in at about 26-27oz.
Old September 13, 2005, 03:50 PM   #7
DanV1317

spaceman is right, the DA trigger pull makes a big saftey difference in my mind. That was not meant to be the topic of this post anyway though.

I was more concerned about weight. I am using a Ctac IWB holster with a wilderness instructor belt. My setup is fine, it is just that i think that gun is a bit heavy and was wondering what other people's thoughts were.
Old September 13, 2005, 07:25 PM   #8
TWilliams

Maybe you haven't found the right holster. I carry my 229 in a Don Hume JIT holster or a open top belt slide. It's not a IWB but I like it. I've got the JIT for my 2340 and my Ruger P345. I don't notice the weight so much with them.

http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...m?ProductID=53
http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...m?ProductID=33
Old September 14, 2005, 03:55 PM   #9
garrettwc

Quote:
I was more concerned about weight. I am using a Ctac IWB holster with a wilderness instructor belt. My setup is fine, it is just that i think that gun is a bit heavy and was wondering what other people's thoughts were.
OK. I got it now.

Hard to say. I carry a full size 1911 IWB and they are a bit heavier. It only bothers me if I wear if for long periods of time.

How long have you been carrying? Sometimes it takes a while for your body to adjust to the additional weight.