The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 11, 2005, 04:51 PM   #1
sjsienna

870 express supermag -- differences?

Hi all. I just purchased my first shotgun - a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Synthetic. Came with 28" barrel. I purchased an 18" Mossberg barrel, and was looking at replacing the stock and forend with Hogue overmolded. When I wen to purchase the Hogue parts online at Cabelas, it said that these would not work on SuperMag models. I sent email to Hogue asking about this - no response yet (1 week ago).

So it got me thinking:

1. Is this correct - Hogue stock/forend will not work on this 870?
2. are there other differences with the super mag version that are going to be problematic for compatible parts/accesories I may want over time.

I got the super mag thinking that it would be the most flexible choice for a single shotgun... can be used for HD, can be used for skeet/etc, can be used for hunting with any type of shell size, can use all of the aftermarket accessories for the 870 out there.

If this is true that is is not so compatible with the other 870 out there, it reduces the value I thought I was buying (yes yes -- caveat emptor, but I would like to know).

thanks in advance
Old September 11, 2005, 05:02 PM   #2
WillBrayjr

I e-mailed Hogue as well and never got a reply and that was several months ago. I don't think there would be any changes except a longer reinforced receiver. It does not reduce the value of the gun. visit: www.remington.com and do alittle research.
Old September 11, 2005, 07:40 PM   #3
rugerfreak

The Super and regular 870 receivers are the same------that's why the super has that slidey bolt thingy.

Looking at my super the forends seem the same.

You could call Hogue directly---I thought they had an 800 number----but could be wrong.
Old September 11, 2005, 09:08 PM   #4
ShottyTim

My buddy has the supermag, and all external parts are i believe inter-changeable. My best friend has the super mag, and i have an 870 HD and i bought a hogue stock for him for a present, and it fit perfectly. then we put it on mine and same thing, perfect fit, you shouldnt have any trouble.

meaning come and get them
Old September 11, 2005, 11:48 PM   #5
sjsienna

thanks, guys -- good to hear from someone with direct experience...

I wonder why Cabelas says that it won't fit?

oh well. Glad to hear my supermag will be compatible with the accessories I may want to use.

thanks
Old September 12, 2005, 06:41 AM   #6
WillBrayjr

No problem