The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2005, 08:27 PM   #1
jarin12ga.

9mm or 380 comfort!

My S&W 9mm model 469 to feels bulkey.How about a nice small 380 kel-tec in your your cargo pants pocket.Half the time I don't bring my 9mm because it digs into my love handles.Whatever Give me a comfortable 380 with 90GR. corbons and I can end the fight with any bad guy..Small,compact,and comfortable,means you ALWAYS have it.That is the most deadly to me.My buddy has got a kel-tec and loves the confort.What's your thought on hot 380 loads.
Old September 9, 2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Lou22

I've got a P3AT that I carry a lot when the weather is hot. I haven't tried +P loads though the manual says it's OK to use (but not continously). I've read that Golden Sabers are one of the best 380 loads so I carry with them. They have a heavier bullet so I expect that to aid penetration.

You might try non +P's at the range and then carry Corbons. There might be other +P's out there you can try. I imagine the gun will have healthy recoil with +P ammo. Another thing to try is a Keltec P11 9mm or a Kahr PM9 9mm. I have the Kahr and like it a lot for carry. It's one of the smallest 9mm's (the Rohrbaugh is the smallest but is about $950-1000 new).

Lou
Old September 9, 2005, 09:39 PM   #3
cen

kel tec

Why not try the Kel Tec in 9mm? Smaller and lighter than your S&W, without the caliber drop.
Old September 9, 2005, 10:30 PM   #4
kymasabe

My Taurus is considered sub-compact and is WAY more comfortable to shoot than my Kel-Tec .380. I can shoot my Taurus all day long but the Kel-Tec hurts my hand after about 100 rounds. I absolutely HAD to add the finger rest on the end of the mag too. Was the only way I could keep the gun from moving. Helped eliminate some of the feed/eject problems I was having too.
Old September 9, 2005, 10:34 PM   #5
nemesis

Quote:
Give me a comfortable 380 with 90GR. corbons and I can end the fight with any bad guy.
I can only admire your confidence but I am not so secure in my ability to defend myself. I have tried to expect the unexpected and foresee where I may have to fire through a car door to stop a carjacking. Auto glass is another possible barrier and even multiple layers of heavy winter clothing to be penetrated by a projectile which must retain enough energy to halt the assailant.

I find myself carrying a .45 loaded with +P ammunition in a quest to provide the best defense that I can. I hope and pray that it will be sufficient to penetrate barriers and still stop the BG's.

I admire your confidence.
Old September 10, 2005, 06:20 AM   #6
blume357

same thoughts

I'm going the same way. Headed to a gun show today to look for either a Walther or Sig in 380. 357mag and 9mm are just too much to carry some of the time.. yes, I know they make compacts in these calibers...but... I've looked at some of the 9mm compacts and I hate to be a premadona, but they are just plain butt ugly. the other part of the equation is I'm trying to get my wife to take a basic gun class and she will need something to shoot. I spoiled her by letting her shoot 22's some and then she fired my Ruger p95 one time and layed it down and said "I quite"... so I've got to find something in between. It seems pretty darn impossible to carry even a moderate size handgun during the summer down here in the South.
Old September 10, 2005, 08:13 AM   #7
smince

Never sacrifice power for comfort. We could all stick a Beretta .25 in our pocket and go about our business. Perhaps you need to try to find a different holster or carry method for your 469. They are bulky compared to some of the newer single stack 9mm's on the market now. Some of these are nearly as small as the common .380's.

Quote:
It seems pretty darn impossible to carry even a moderate size handgun during the summer down here in the South.
I carry a Colt Defender in an IWB holster under a t-shirt nearly every day. There are times that I will carry a .32/380, but they are very rare..
Old September 10, 2005, 08:26 AM   #8
erh

Through the Hot months (8+ around here), I generally carry my Kahr K9 '03 Elite (a little heavy, but the perfect fit) in 9mm (IWB). If not the Kahr (again during the heat) I carry my S&W 37 Airweight (Pocket). Cool months it's my Sig P229 .40 B. On my walks around the park (may sound ridiculous, but I practice!) I confidently carry my NAA 1 1/8" Mini .22 Magnum in my pocket. IMHO - Always carry the most comfortable, powerfull (Useable), and above all trustworthy handgun you can. (erh)
Old September 10, 2005, 09:19 AM   #9
Jehzsa

Quote:
What's your thought on hot 380 loads.
Hirtenberger. That's what I use. On some guns, it kicks like a 9.
Old September 10, 2005, 10:17 AM   #10
bulbboy

I feel confident when I carry my .380 - I usually carry my Glock 27 or my Kahr MK9 but some days I carry my Walther PPK and feel just fine!!
Old September 10, 2005, 12:34 PM   #11
michael t

PPK/S in pocket with CorBon works for me.
Their is no +P in 380 as the SAMMI ? has never set any standards. as they have for other +P loads. Their are hot 380's but no offical +P One company has +P on box and not even up to my CorBon in fps or ft lbs. CorBon new DPX round should help the 380 along
Old September 10, 2005, 02:35 PM   #12
smince

I've owned several .380's that are accurate and fun to shoot, but I can't get excited over carrying one when you can get a 9mm in the same size package with more power. I considered a MAK until i did a size comaprision and found it to be almost the same size as my Defender. I only carry my Keltec.32 when it is tha absoute minimum I can get by with.
Old September 10, 2005, 02:54 PM   #13
IM_Lugger

.380 is Ok, 9mm is better...

but I wouldn't trust the Kal Tec, get a better gun
Old September 10, 2005, 03:05 PM   #14
smince

Quote:
but I wouldn't trust the Kal Tec, get a better gun
Mine has been 100% through over 600 rounds.
Old September 11, 2005, 03:19 PM   #15
michael t

Siminic Kel Tec has a 99.9% failure rate at 601to 699 rounds Just thought you should know
Old September 11, 2005, 07:43 PM   #16
Sulaco2

michael t, documentation please.
Old September 11, 2005, 08:15 PM   #17
IZinterrogator

= joke. Thought you should know.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old September 17, 2005, 08:31 PM   #18
jsp98m3

I have a small .380 FEG here that I am cleaning up for a friend. Its light aluminum frame makes it light to carry and the single row clip makes it much less bulky. I haven't tried firing it but the action works well and all the parts seem to be in good enough shape.

I see these all over mainland China in police holsters. I can't speak a lick of Mandarin so I haven't been able to ask the Chinese police what they think of it.

This one was made in Hungary I believe. Seems like it would be a nice carry gun. Thin and light. Not the smallest frame, but then again, being aluminum, its probably best that its not.

Jim
Old September 17, 2005, 09:03 PM   #19
smince

We went out to eat for my in-laws birthday dinner last night. Very crowded restaurant. Carried my Colt Defender IWB in jeans under an un-tucked golf shirt. No one but my wife knew I was CCW.

It isn't that difficult to carry a serious weapon if you really want to.
Old September 18, 2005, 08:06 AM   #20
45-70

.380? Not anymore.

I'm a big guy with no room under my belt either. And I live in Texas. I used to carry a Walther PPK/S .380 everywhere and was happy doing it, despite cautions from knowledgeable friends. I shoot it well and qualified for my CCW permit with it, outshooting several guys with bigger guns (who offered to loan me theirs to qualify).

BUT, I think the incident that turned me around was in the news from the Midwest a couple of years ago. Chicago, I think. You may recall where a guy shot several co-workers at a work place. The news accounts said he used a Walther .380. After shooting the co-workers, he tried to commit suicide by shooting himself in the head with the same gun. He shot himself in the head 7 or 8 times, and they took him to the hospital where he was in good condition at last report.

Now if it's too hot for my vest with the 629 in the pocket, I carry an S&W Model 60 in an IWB holster. I didn't even have to buy larger pants (44), but I tend to wear mine a bit loose. When I get back to Texas, I'm getting an IWB holster for the 629. And if I carry it, that Model 60 ain't stoked with .38 Specials, either.

A pistol is a tool for drilling holes, to quote Tom Givens, so make sure you carry a good drill. Now if Walther would just make a PPK in .357 Sig!
Old September 18, 2005, 08:13 AM   #21
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I've been cooling off on the P3AT's recently. Seen one come from the factory with the extractor installed backwards, and another with a chamber that was jugged so badly that the swollen cases wouldn't extract. Great idea, but execution can be iffy at times...
Old September 18, 2005, 04:43 PM   #22
cas

9mm can't get much smaller, and they shouldn't be much bigger.

Savage24.com
Cylindersmith.com