The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2005, 07:26 PM   #1
Webleymkv

Opinions on Walther P-5

I saw that SOG has Walther P-5 pistols for $459. I know these pistols have always been very expensive and that they work the same as a P-38. Anyone have any experience with these? I really like the look of it but I'm not sure I can justify that much money (I already have two 9mm's).
Old September 6, 2005, 07:30 PM   #2
Handy

The accuracy and trigger on them is merely acceptable. Everything else is first rate. These were some of the finest duty pistols ever, with excellent construction and ergonomics. The control lever acts as both a slide release and decocker - which is the way they all should be. The heel release is well designed for concealed carry. An improvement over the P-38 in most every way.

A very good gun, and a decent buy for that price.
Old September 6, 2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Jehzsa

It's the only 9mm L that I have and will probably stay with me until I die. They certainly take some time to loosen up but when they do....

SOG on the other hand, seems to be a wild card. Some people pay for hand-pick and it arrives in worse condition than non-hp. Price, however, can't be beat. Paid a lot more for mine.
Old September 6, 2005, 09:07 PM   #4
Webleymkv

I might try to convince my local dealer to order a few for the shop so I can look them over before I buy one (he orders a lot from SOG).