The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2005, 05:51 PM   #1
quantum_sig

870P Cycling Problems?

Hello,

I have a new 870P that I just went out and shot for the first time. After firing a round (or pulling the trigger on an empty chamber), the action will jam (meaning I can't cycle the forearm) if there is any back pressure on the forearm when the trigger is pulled. I can only cycle the action if I push forward on the forearm and then pull back. If there is foreward pressure on the forearm when the trigger is pulled, then I can cycle the action just fine. Is this normal for a Remington 870?

One other thing to add: Should the action release (allowing me to cycle the next round) if I pull the trigger and hold it? If I pull the trigger and keep it pulled, then I cannot cycle the action untill I've released the trigger. I don't remember my Benelli Nova acting this way. This is my first Remington so I don't have any previous experience with the 870. Just wondering what the normal operation should be. I got two opinions at the range. The range master said the action not being able to cycle until you've released the tirgger and put foreward pressure on the forearm is a safety feature to keep from ejecting a shell that might is still emitting gas and shot. Then one of the other range employees said that something is wrong and the action should be released the moment the trigger is pulled (even if kept depressed and with back pressure on the forearm at the time of trigger pull) allowing the next shell to be cycled.

Please help! Thanks
Old August 28, 2005, 06:33 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Remington 870's will NOT open if TOO much back pressure is kept on the forearm.

On the left front side of the trigger group is the slide release you press to open a cocked gun.

The front end of this release is a lever that interfaces with the left slide-action bar.

When the trigger is pulled, the release slides down the rear face of the angled action bar.

If you keep too much back pressure on the forearm, the release can't slide down because of too much friction, especially on a new gun.

Only after the forearm pressure is eased off can the release drop.

Here's some things to do to improve it.

First, use the owner's manual to disassemble the gun.
Remove the trigger group from the receiver, and give it a GOOD spray down with something like Rem-Oil.

This will clean out the factory grit and dirty lube.

Shake the group to shake off excess lube, then allow to drain. Wipe off the excess before reinstalling.

Second, SHOOT the gun. Many new guns are just stiff and slightly rough, and the best break in is to shoot the gun.

After the cleaning and a few hundred rounds, the gun should be pretty smooth and easy operating.

The action SHOULD release even if the trigger is held back.
Again, clean the gun out.

Here's a simple test:
Cock the gun.
Point the gun straight up.
With your hand OFF the forearm, pull the trigger, and HOLD it back.
The slide release should drop, and you should then be able to pull the fore arm to the rear.

On a gun that's clean and has been fired even a few rounds, the fore arm should drop 1/2" or so when the trigger is pulled, on it's own.

If the slide sticks with the trigger back, something is wrong.

If after cleaning and firing 100 rounds the gun is still giving problems, return it to Remington for correction.
The 870 Police is one of Remington's top of the line guns, and shouldn't have any problems.
Old August 28, 2005, 07:59 PM   #3
quantum_sig

Well, I just cleaned the gun and sprayed out the trigger group with lots of CLP, let drain (lots of crud came out), wiped dry, and lightly relubed. Cleaned the rest of the gun as well, reassembled and tried dry firing. Same thing seems to be happening. If I do not touch the forearm at all and pull the trigger I can cycle the action fine. If I apply rearward pressure on the forearm, pull the trigger and release, I cannot pull back the forearm until I put foreward pressure on it and then it will pull back properly. If I apply reward pressure on the forearm, pull the trigger and hold, then I cannot cycle the action at all unless I release the trigger or wiggle the forearm back and forth a lot and then sometimes I'll hear something click and then the action can be cycled (even with the trigger still depressed).

I was looking at the action relase lever while trying this. When I do not apply reward pressure on the forearm while pulling the trigger, the action release lever snaps up as the trigger is pulled and the action can be cycled. When I apply rearward pressure while pulling the trigger, the action release bar snaps up a little bit (not the entire way) and the action is locked. Not untill I wiggle or apply foreward pressure on the forearm or release the trigger will the action release bar completly snap up into place releasing the action.
Old August 29, 2005, 12:48 AM   #4
Dfariswheel

Back to Remington.

This shouldn't be happening, and they will make it right.