The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 23, 2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Join Date: April 8, 2005
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 34
Mossberg Shot tube extension?

Why cant I find a 7 or 8 shot tube extension for my Mossberg 500A I see Rems and Winchester but not Mossberg?
I love it when a plan comes together !!
DennyB is offline  
Old August 23, 2005, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: December 15, 2004
Location: Paso Robles, CA
Posts: 115
The Mossberg magazine tube is closed on the end and cannot be extended as that is where the barrel attaches to the mag tube. There is no way to add capacity to a Mossberg 500 other than the Knoxx Sidewinder. This kit converts the 500 to magazine feed and has a 10-round drum magazine that is interchangeable with a 6-round box magazine.
Ca Crusin

CaCrusin is offline  
Old August 23, 2005, 05:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: July 6, 2004
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,443
Yep, the tube is just plain blocked off. The side winder kit looks neat, but if I recall, it costs more than the gun, or at least over 100 bucks. I also don't know about the reliability.

However, the 500a is still a great gun.
"The SKS is a rifle, made the way they should be, out of a heavy block of crappy commie steel, set in an inletted semi-reshaped 2x4."

Not my quote but I agree completely.
rugerdude is offline  
Old August 23, 2005, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: September 26, 2004
Posts: 449
The 590 and 835s have open-ended mag tubes and are also available in 9-shot versions. They can be swapped onto your 500 but you will also have to change the barrel, spring and mag tube cap. The mag tube, spring and cap can be had from Brownells for cheap, but the 590 barrel is hard to find. (I did see one on for $64.)

If you go that route, I think the shortest 590 barrel is 24 inches, which is substantially longer than what you probably have, the 18.5 inch plain barrel.
mikikanazawa is offline  
Old August 24, 2005, 12:23 AM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: December 11, 2002
Location: ALABAMA
Posts: 1,472
Hi CAP 500

You can get the extended tubes and barrels for 500's, but I've only seen a couple of them. (A barrel and tube set sold on ebay a while back, for around $120) The 590 stuff will also fit. I have an 8 shot 590A1 with a 20" barrel and ghost rings. I would think it would be fairly easy to get one of those. If all else fails, contact mossberg, I have always had good luck with their customer service.
shooter_john is offline  
Old August 24, 2005, 01:18 AM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: December 11, 2002
Location: ALABAMA
Posts: 1,472
Found what your looking for!

Here you go:

If that doesnt work, just search for Mossberg 500, it should come up.
shooter_john is offline  
Old August 24, 2005, 03:53 AM   #7
Senior Member
Join Date: July 9, 2004
Location: Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
Posts: 635
Switch to a 590 barrel and extended magazine tube. The mag tube screws into the receiver.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (If all else fails - play dead!)

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
mtnboomer is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2016 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.06377 seconds with 7 queries