The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2005, 04:49 PM   #1
hankthetank

winchester 1300 defender vs mossberg 500 persuader

hi there, i am looking at either of the 18 1/2 inch shotguns.
the winchester 1300 defender
and the mossberg 500 persuader

i was looking at the mossberg 1st but for the same price i found i can get a win 1300,plus the winchester comes with the pistol grip, on the mossberg it is an extra(at my local shop).

it looks to me like the winchester has better sighting, they both feel great,
i am just worried i might regret buying the winchester as it doesn't seem as popular , also the winchester has speedpump,does the mossy have an answer to this.
would i be doing the right thing by going the cheaper option(cost of a pistol grip)

i appretiate your help
hank
Old June 27, 2005, 04:53 PM   #2
mathman

Remington 870...Oh, I'm sorry...that wasn't an option.

By the way, welcome to the forum.
Old June 28, 2005, 12:53 AM   #3
hankthetank

yeah unfortunatly it isn't an option where i live
cheers
hank
Old June 28, 2005, 01:15 AM   #4
mathman

Out of the two, I would buy the Winchester...JMHO. For some reason I don't like Mossbergs.
Old June 28, 2005, 01:18 AM   #5
Twycross

Both the Mossberg and the Winchester are fine guns that should last you a lifetime if properly cared for. Pick whichever one you like more. You might also use the 'search' function here to find old threads on the various "X vs Y" questions to get particulars on both guns. Also, why is the Rem 870 not an option?
And welcome to TFL
Old June 28, 2005, 05:20 AM   #6
hankthetank

thanks for your welcome guys,
the 870 is not avalible where i live,
i am in the south pacific
New Zealand
cheers
Old June 30, 2005, 08:21 AM   #7
rmcginley

On feedback...Winchester - Vs - Mossberg

I own a Model 1300 in 20ga. I bought it primarily for my wife because she has a hard time with too much recoil.

The thing I like so far about the Model 1300 is that it will pretty much handle any ammo you may like to use. The action is very forgiving. It always ejects the spent casings like it's supposed to. I've tested it with field loads, buckshot, and slugs.

We live in a city where home invasions seem to a growing sport. In my book reliability is the key parameter to evaluate in any shotgun that would potentially be used in a personal protection scenario.
Old June 30, 2005, 09:56 AM   #8
Twycross

Welcome to TFL, rmcginley!
Old June 30, 2005, 10:29 AM   #9
sm

Do a search , we have m-a-n-y threads on this.

Gun fit to shooter is a HUGE Factor , any of the Big 4 have proven themselves btw.
Old July 1, 2005, 05:00 AM   #10
hankthetank

the 1300 feels good when i pick it up ,but i like the fact that there seems to be alot of accessories for the mossberg
hank
Old July 1, 2005, 11:33 AM   #11
spacemanspiff

winchester 1300 for function and reliability.

mossberg just cause it looks cooler.
Old July 1, 2005, 11:36 AM   #12
GunsnRovers

I prefer the 870 and Ithaca 37 to the 1300 and 500/590, but I've seen enough to know not to knock them as "inferior".

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
Old July 2, 2005, 10:29 PM   #13
Templario

The Defender 1300

I own a 12 ga. Defender 1300, I have tried Mossberg, I prefer Winchester.
I believe in God, my bible and my guns.
Old July 2, 2005, 10:40 PM   #14
XavierBreath

I have both a Winchester 1200 and a Mossberg 500. The Winnie 1200 is basically a 1300 with a 2&3/4 chamber barrel. Both are set up for home defense. Both are reliable guns.

My preference is the Mossberg due to the location of the safety. The downside is that safety is plastic, so replace it with a steel button.

A pistol grip is not a good thing on a shotgun you want to use. The quickest way to ruin a good shotgun is to install a pistol grip. It makes it an inaccurate poser gun. The pistol grip should not be a factor in choosing the gun.
Old July 4, 2005, 01:29 AM   #15
hankthetank

thanks, i'll use a pistol grip for when i am pig hunting (close range) ,because they are easy to handle in close quarters, they are also easier to manovure with in dense scrub,
cheers hank
Old July 5, 2005, 10:56 PM   #16
WOD

Go for what feels best in your hands

Here are the guns I prefer these for waterfowling in order of preference. Preferred gun is custom camoed and ported Rem.1100, next would be my Browning BPS, and then my 870 Express.

I personally dont like Mossbergs, because it wreaks of cheapness, but I cannot fault it as a reliable firearm. It is the only gun I would consider chopping up into an HD weapon since I dont care if I beat the hell out of it or us it as a bat on the BG. I have a Mossberg 500 that I converted to a defense gun. It has an 18" barrel, Flashlight, and Pachmayer Pistol Grip and I find it ultra maneuverable for home defense. Like my BPS, the Mossberg has its large safety up top, which I prefer for quick and easy access. The Mossberg also has a strong aftermarket following.

I personally love having a pistol grip on my HD shotgun, and contrary to what most say on this board I find it accurate to shoot. I would try the pistol grip first to see if you can handle it. I think its either hit or miss, much like pitching or shooting hoops. I think some people are just more naturally instinctive at point shooting than others, so just because one person cannot hit anything with a pistol grip shotgun doesnt mean that you cannot. I am not the best shot, but I can bet my life that I can score 100% all day hitting coffee cans at 20 yards with 00 buck shooting off the hip. For home defense I use #6 heavy game loads and believe you me, at home hallway distances I will hit the BG 200 times to the one he might fling my way. Before I had my Mossberg, I used my Rem. 1100 as a HD gun because it was my shortest and most agile shotgun, but it still felt unweldy and cumbersome in the confines of my home.

With the Pachmayer Vindicator Pistol grip I can comfortably shoot Magnum 3" shells using an extended one handed hold, although you would never shoot it like this except for fun. The other thing the Mossberg has over the other guns is this: http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/P...SideWinder.htm
Old July 6, 2005, 05:37 AM   #17
hankthetank

i agree,
i'm tending to look more towards the mossberg ,
i've seen a nice mariner 18 1/2 inch.
they seem to have a good following and great resale value.
cheers
hank
Old July 6, 2005, 09:18 AM   #18
big daddy 9mm

I have a mossberg and it is a good gun but...

I would go with the winchester. even though mossbergs are good guns. they make good hunting guns in my opinion, personaly I cant wait to get the 20 gauge version 1300 and get the pistol grip for it.
Old July 6, 2005, 12:49 PM   #19
Skeetin'870

personally i dislike winchester. But i would find somebody who has a 500 and a 1300 shoot with both of them decide which one performs better when you use it and then buy that one. Good luck and happy shooting
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old July 6, 2005, 05:01 PM   #20
Lee Lapin

Biggest drawback to the 500 is the difficulty in pulling maintenance on the magazine tube/spring/follower. You have to remove the tube from the receiver to do it. At least with the 1300 you can just take off the magazine cap, remove the retainer, spring and follower and there you go. Mossberg fixed that shortcoming on the 590, if you can get a 590 that would be the Mossberg to go for. Otherwise get the Winchester, IMHO.

Mossberg used to sell the best PGO (pistol grip only) for the Winchester and Remington pumps (made by Speedfeed), I always found it odd they never marketed it for their own guns but instead saddled them with that abomination they put on. The much touted safety location of the Mossberg becomes a liability with only a pistol grip, and especially so with the abortion Mossberg puts on theirs from the factory- the grip angle is completely messed up and destroys the pointability of the gun when so equipped. See the Speedfeed pistol grip at http://www.speedfeedinc.com/?location=products , IMO it's the best available PGO option. And they do make it for the 500/590 too, I see. I used one of these on my own 20 ga. Winchester for a while when helping provide security for valuables in confined quarters, they work quite well.

lpl/nc (who prefers 870s to all those mentioned above also)
Old July 7, 2005, 04:54 AM   #21
hankthetank

thanks lee
that is a very informative site,
i didn't realise you could by speedfeed stocks on there own,
i have only seen speedfeeds that are part of a "package deal" with the purchase of a mossberg.
cheers
Hank
Old October 21, 2005, 01:22 PM   #22
ThunderStrike

Like My 1300 Defender

I just purchased mine two months ago, shot 50 rounds thru it, and it worked perfect. Did tried shooting few shots with a pistol grip, but took it off and reinstalled the full stock -- the recoil was too much for wrist. I wouldn't mine getting a second 12ga, Mossberg 500 Persuader with PG, heat shield.
Old October 23, 2005, 01:11 PM   #23
270Win

Here's a quick vote for the Mossberg Persuader. My very good friend bought one at a gun show new-in-box and loves it. Despite the short barrel, he shoots trap with it regularly with good results - despite some stares from the Walton league people. A well-made gun!