The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 7, 1998, 08:44 PM   #1
Rob Pincus

Anybody have one? I have a hard time wading through BladeForums...
I wanted to see if anyone on our side of the block that might actually have one of these and would give us a report.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 7, 1998, 09:01 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Rob-
Indeed, I do. The hardness is somewhere between sapphire and diamond and the edge will hold a long time. You can not expect to get hair popping sharpness out of a ceramic, but I have cut everything from glass to my Henkel kitchen knives with mine.

Granted, you woun't be in a position to have to cut up a beer bottle or steel knife on a daily basis, but imagine the durability of this material for everyday use. Mad Dog has been perfecting this technology for some time now and he's really onto something.

Hilton has done a fairly comprehensive review on this. If you'd like to add to that, I'll be happy to ship you my Operator for T&E.
Rich
Old December 8, 1998, 01:49 PM   #3

I have one of Mad Dog's EOD versions, with the Kydex multi-position sheath.

The knife is constructed of some absolutely phenomenal materials, and is mute and irrefutable testimony to Kevin McClung's genius. I've periodically been keeping abreast of the expanding research and development of ceramics by many of the DoD prime contractors, and augmented that knowledge with a bit of reading about some of the NASA applications for the space programs. Mad Dog's marketing of these remarkable blades in a series of insightful designs was joyously anticipated, and in so doing, he has once again brought full circle another application of the most advanced technologies to improve the fundamental tools of mankind.

The EOD has the general appearance of a tanto-style blade. The blade has a black coating that is molecularly bonded to the blade material in a painstakingly and exacting proprietary process. The purpose of the coating is to present an extremely abrasion resistant, low reflectivity, yet slippery outer surface that completely covers the exposed portion of the blade. Only the thin line of sharpened edges glisten with the subdued sheen of milky white glass. These edges are individually hand-sharpened on diamond lap stones, the only readily available abrasive material that can be used for the precision working of the blade.

The handle is of the highly functional ergonomic design that has come to be a custom signature of Mad Dog Knives. It is comprised wholly of a dark, non-reflective matrix that is literally impermeable to solvents and pressure. Its hand-filling contours and surface friction provide an excellent grip in all foreseeable temperature ranges, even when wet with water, perspiration or blood.

The EOD is an art-form in its own right, shaped by hand to the exacting eye and tactile sensations of a true master. The result is a very sharp, very functional knife for the operator that has a hand-full of passports and has special need of the low signature characteristics of this sort of tool.

(PS: If you haven’t perceived the fact by now, Mad Dog Knives impress the hell out of me, for the technology, the art and the cosmic irony of being what they are.)

Old December 8, 1998, 01:56 PM   #4
Rob Pincus

Mykl,

Did you buy the knife of pay Kevin a dowry for it?

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I know what my next knife will be.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 8, 1998, 02:26 PM   #5

Well, maybe not a dowry, but that knife will certainly be enumerated in my estate!
Old December 8, 1998, 06:55 PM   #6
Hilton

Rob,
I carry a Mirage X Operator on a daily basis. It differs from the EOD and Hunter models in that it sports a cross linked polyolephin polymer handle -- it's a black rubber coating that outwardly resembles the vinyl handle coating on tools, but is quite a bit more solvent and abrasion resistant. The blades are quite impact resistant, and will withstand the rigors of chopping and heavy cutting, but not prying. The edge retention is pretty much where resharpening is not something you need to consider on a regular basis. The blade finish cleans up easily with soap and water, and little seems to stick to it. Even aggressive fiber reinforced packing tape does not dull the edge or require much cleanup. I carry the knife in its neck sheath in my right front pocket, as it's a bit heavy for neck carry. For LEO's that may go near biohazardous substances or drug evidence, the Mirage X series knives can easily be cleaned and sterilized without fuss. Expect to pay significantly more for a Mad Dog than you would for a Benchmade or Spyderco, but expect performance that's significantly more. It's the difference between a stock Springfield 1911 and a full blown Wilson Custom 1911 -- seemingly subtle but very substantial differences.