The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 1, 2000, 03:57 PM   #1
Andy socal

I am looking at jumping into the SA revolver market, and have found what I like in the Ruger BlackHawk line.

Most specifically two of the stainless BH's in .357Mag. My dilema is which barrel lenght to get. I like the compact size of the 4 5/8" barrel, but am concerned about the recoil, and accuracy. The other option is the 6 1/2" barrel, but that just gives the impression of too much gun. Both feel alright in my hand, though.

Most of my shooting will be at targets(I don't want to say 'cowboy' because that would offend those of you who are legitimate SASS type shooters) and for fun. I suppose someday I might take a try at quick draw(against a target! <BG> ) or legitimate cowboy action shooting, but that will probably take some time.

Thanks for any input.

------------------
"No democratic government can long be much better or much worse than the people it represents." Henry Adams
Old September 2, 2000, 07:36 AM   #2
Quantrill

The original S.A.A. (1873) was a 7 1/2 in. Quantrill
Old September 2, 2000, 01:35 PM   #3
Gunslinger

Personally I like the 4.625" barrel on single actions. But my preference is purely from the looks of that barrel length. The next longer barrel length on the BH is 5.5", not 6.5. I dont think you will find much difference in performance. I would suggest you try the various barrel lehgths in a gun shop and decide which "feels" best to you. Some like the balance of one over the others.

For more info on fast draw you might visit www.gunfighter.com they have links to the World Fast Draw Association.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old September 2, 2000, 01:43 PM   #4
Andy socal

As far as barrel lengths available, I was going off the Ruger website(and the catalog I received for 2000), as well as what I handled at my local shop. Both(website and catalog) show only 4 5/8" and 6 1/2" for the NM B'Hawk in .357Mag.

The B'Hawk in .45LC is available with a 5.5" barrel though. That would actually be a suitable compromise if it had some of the benfits of both barrel lenghts I am looking at. Maybe that will be the argument I use with my fiance when she asks why I need another revolver. "But I don't have one in .45LC yet!" <G>
Old September 2, 2000, 04:40 PM   #5
big89foot

If you're thinking of shooting in the Single Action Shooting Society I suggest you get a Vaquero or Bisley without adjustable sights instead of a Blackhawk with them. You CAN shoot adjustable sights but only in the "Modern" category, and in my club, absolutely nobody shoots Modern. I use .44s in 5 1/2" & think they are a perfict compromise length.
Old September 3, 2000, 09:34 PM   #6
Andy socal

Thanks for the heads up on the use of BH's in competition. I guess most use the Vaqueros or Bis-Vaq?

That just gives me another excuse to add to my collection if I get the BH now. "But honey, I can't use my three other revolvers because they all have adjustable sites.!"

I'm sure she'll understand.
Old September 4, 2000, 01:17 AM   #7
Bill Adair

Andy,

I have a stainless Blackhawk, 5.5" barrel, in 45 Colt caliber, and for all around fun shooting it's my absolute favorite revolver!

The 45 Colt has the option of being loaded with any ammo on the market, except that which is specifically loaded for the strong 5 shot custom Rugers. Light plinking loads will bowl over most targets at very low recoil, yet it can also be loaded to safe energy levels exceeding 44 mag standard ammo, should you ever decided to take it big game hunting.

There is very good reason for the 45 Colt cartridge to be so popular over a hundred years after it was first produced! It is simply the best combination of size, weight, and accuracy ever made!

I also enjoy shooting my 357 revolvers, but they get very little use, since the 45 Blackhawk wormed it's way into my affection.

And of course, I had to have a Marlin lever action to go with the Blackhawk.

Bill
Old September 4, 2000, 05:16 AM   #8
Ned Roundtree

Don't get me wrong. I shoot Vaquero Bisleys, .357s. Shooting 38 specials. But there are about eight to ten folks at our club that shoot MODERN Class. I think their smiles are just as big as mine. So pick the gun and sight picture that is right for you. Don't worry about what others shoot. My two cents.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited September 04, 2000).]
Old September 6, 2000, 07:03 AM   #9
big89foot

If you want to compete against others in the same class you might want to see how many "modern" shooters your local club has. Mine just doesn't have any, of course you'd win your class every time; might be something to consider.