The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 11, 2005, 09:41 AM   #1
MEDDAC19

Taurus .38/.357 ?

Just aquired an older Taurus via an heir and can't find model or date mft'd. There is no reference to a model on the revolver, just Taurus name and caliber. On the cylinder arm it has J 241, bbl length is 6", serial number is 96xxx. The original owner bought it slightly used in the mid 80's. There are no markings under the grips. Taurus's web dating didn't work for this. I heard that around this time S&W broke up, does the J on the cylinder refer to S&W's J frame? Maybe they bought up parts at the time of the split? Thanks for any help.
Old June 11, 2005, 05:57 PM   #2
lee n. field

Open the cylinder and look on the frame behind where the yoke is. Model number should be stamped there.
Old June 12, 2005, 07:42 AM   #3
MEDDAC19

lee n. field

Thanks. I saw the J241 on the yoke/crane but I have now found a 66 on the frame. The 66 was hard for me to see unless it was held at the right angle. The other thing that confused me was that their new model 66's are 7 shot so I was not looking for that number. I have been trying to get date mft'd but it is hard getting through to Taurus USA's customer service, and they have not returned any calls when I left them a message per their voice mail options.