The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 12, 2000, 04:50 PM   #1
Bob S

I just purchased a used EMF "New Dakota Model" SA revolver in .45 long colt. I am not a Cowboy Action Shooter, but am hoping to start soon, this purchase being the first of many Im sure. I have several questions about this gun:

1. I'm very familiar with modern handguns, glocks, sigs, ect., but I know nothing about single actions. Did I get a good one, or a cheap copy of a single action colt? (I paid $275 for used in excellent condition... shoots dead on point of aim!)

2. I looked at ruger vaquero's. but did not like the feel of the action. Didn't seem as original as the EMF copy.

Any info you could give me on this new gun would be appreciated. (I hate to admit it, but I had never heard of EMF or any of the other SA copy manufacturers before I saw this gun!)
Old February 13, 2000, 02:27 AM   #2
blades67

I think EMF and Cimmeron are both made by Uberti, an Italian firm.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!
Old February 13, 2000, 03:21 AM   #3
Gunslinger

I've had a few of the EMF SAA's over the years and liked them all. They aren't a Colt but then again neither is a Colt these days. I've also had other Aldo Uberti reproductions and have gotten very good services from them. Over all I'd say you made a good purchase.
And although I own several Rugers and was even building custom Vaqueros for CAS for awhile I have to agree their actios leave alot to be desired. No matter what you do to them they will never have the "traditional feel".

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.