The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 29, 2000, 08:03 PM   #1
rr41mag

Deer season opens here in south miss in 2 weeks. I am more ready this year than I have ever been. All of the murphy factors from over the years have been eliminated. Just went to the range today and the ole hunting rifle is is grouping great at 100 yards. Just one small detail left. It will probably be in the 80's opening day. Toting a 15LB tree stand and a 10 lb rifle it's gonna get HOT quick. Anybody got any tips?

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!
Old October 29, 2000, 09:53 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Done all your scouting? Spotted rubs and scrapes and trails? If not, you're just a little bit late.

Dangifino. What do you do, get on the stand before daylight, and wait? How long, usually, do you sit in the stand? My problem is the patience for sitting, so I usually take a paperback book. I've trained myself to not get "buried" in the book. Which is another reason I like walking-hunting, in open country...

Good luck!

Art
Old October 29, 2000, 10:29 PM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

Late scouting is better than no scouting at all. Just this weekend a friend of mine and I scouted a new hunting area yesterday. This was his first deer hunt ever and he chose this area because it was close to home and I agreed because the area is very steep, providing some good "close to the road" hunting opportunities (tired of dragging animals out of the forest). We found some rubs 150 yards from the main road, set the tree stands this morning and came back home in time for breakfast. It was not a very large deer, but a deer no less.

Here is a pic of my friend with his game and a new member of our hunting community.

Think I made it look to easy.

Robert

Old October 30, 2000, 12:28 AM   #4
BadMedicine

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert the41MagFan:
not a very large deer
[/quote]

You have an accute perception of the obvious robert

I'm just giving you a hard time. I came home empty handed this season Where abouts are you from? I'm going to guess washington, oregon, or california, because the deer *looks* like a blacktail. Probably washington though, because the roads are wet, and that's a dead givaway Am I right??
Why do animals always die with their tongues hanging out? You can ambush a sleeping deer, and perfectly execute it with a shot to the head, but some how they have time to throw their tongues out of their mouths before dying. And no matter how hard you try to put it back in it's mouth for the pictures, it just seems impossible.
Is that you in the pic or your friend? Which one of you shot it? What did you(he) shoot it with, and where did you(he) hit it? Come on, give us some juicy details. Brag a little, I wanna hear about it
Are those antlers forked a little? or is he a spike? hmmm. Young tender venison. My mouth is watering.

[This message has been edited by BadMedicine (edited October 30, 2000).]
Old October 30, 2000, 06:15 AM   #5
45King

rr41mag wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Deer season opens here in south miss in 2 weeks.[/quote]

Neener, neener, neener, deer season here has been open since August 15, and won't close 'till January 1!!!!!!

------------------
Shoot straight & make big holes, regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center