The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 4, 2000, 11:01 PM   #1
BadMedicine

Does anyone on this chat live in Idaho? particularly the Boise/Mountain home area?
Old September 4, 2000, 11:05 PM   #2
Jay Baker

Yep. Boise. As G. Gordon would ask, "How can I serve you??"

J.B.
Old September 5, 2000, 12:30 AM   #3
BadMedicine

Do you duck/goose hunt? Are you familiar with the C.J. strike resivor area? I know of an area where you can limit nightly, in only about a half an hour. We'd get there right at sundown, when the fowl start flying and hunt the half hour till dark. Swarm after swarm would fly over. Sometimes there'd be up to 20 different people up there, and it was rainin' ducks. Lemme know if you know where C.J. is and I'd be honord to peel ya off some info.
Old September 5, 2000, 01:59 PM   #4
Jay Baker

Bad Medicine, I don't know where the C.J.Strike Resv., is but will look it up on my maps. I would love to goose/duck hunt, but have no retreiver dog. Can you hunt there and get the killed birds, without a dog??

We've lived here since Nov., 1997, and haven't yet hunted ducks/geese, but want to. Thanks for the information. J.B.
Old September 5, 2000, 05:40 PM   #5
BadMedicine

No you don't need a dog. You've lived there for 3 years and don't know where CJ strike is? It's one of the best places to wet a line in the whole snake-river valley. You do know where Mtn. Home, and Mtn. home air force base is don't you? You take I-84 out of Boise headed south toward Mtn. Home. (If you have an atlas and gazetteer Topo maps of the state of Idaho, this is all on page 25) Once you get to Mtn. Home, go through the town and head toward the air base, on Air Base Road. This road is about 10 miles long and dead ends at the base. You want to turn right about a mile before you get to the base. If you see a brown resturaunt called scrubbys on your right (it's in a desert, you can't miss it) you've just missed your turn, it's a paved hwy 67 right before scrubby, it's a right turn. Go down this road about 15 miles and look for Strike Damn Cutoff road on your left. It's a gravel road, marked with a very small green street sign. It's kinda bumpy and hilly, so most people don't use the cut off, but go the long way on paved roads. Go down the cut off road about six miles and start looking for little dirt roads of to your left, You wont hardly see them till you've passed them, I think there are 2 or three. (make sure you've gone about 6 miles before you explore any dirt roads, or you wont find the cliffs, they're further down the road)Drive these roads a little ways and you'll come to some cliffs over looking CJ strike. The ducks and geese sit out in the middle of the resivor all day, and at sundown begin to circle, they head to the grain fields to eat at night. since the cliffs are so high up they have to circle a few times before they get enough altitude. When they finally do clear the cliffs, everybody is hidden behind sage brush and they're REAL LOW. It's even better when it's windy out, they'll barely clear that cliff and fly over at about 30 ft. Good luck, e-mail me and let me know how you did. We used to burn almost a box of shells each in the half our before dark. You don't need a dog because you are no-where near the water, all the birds fall on the dry tuble-weed strewn desert.
Old September 6, 2000, 12:32 AM   #6
Jay Baker

Many thanks, Bad Medicine. Yep, found it on page 25. Even though we've been here since Nov. 97, because of a medical situation in my family, have not had the time to do as much in the outdoors as I wanted. Almost all my outdoor time has been taken up in either scouting for or hunting elk and deer. Now, that medical situation has been resolved, so will be getting out much more. C.J. Strike will be on my must-do hunting list in the very near future. Thanks again.

Best of luck. J.B.
Old September 6, 2000, 11:50 AM   #7
BadMedicine

If you have a couple buddies who like to shoot, tkae them, you do better when you're spread about 20 yrds apart across the cliff. And sit as close to the cliff as you can and be hidin by sage brush. Once they clear that lip, they start gaining more altitude. You owe yourself atleast one trip to the cliffs, hope you do some good.
Old September 6, 2000, 12:40 PM   #8
Dave R

BadMedicine, I'm also Boise-area. Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll see you there in early October. I'll be the rookie carrying a Mossy 835 ;-)

Any good tips on Chukar hunting places? I don't want to wait for Oct...
Old September 6, 2000, 02:05 PM   #9
BadMedicine

We only went chukar hunting a few times, we found a couple coveys up in the hills while deer hunting, and went back with shotguns. We collected a few birds, but none of the places are worth mentioning. Odds are, you won't see me there this october, cuz I live in alaska now, and don't get back to Idaho but prolly once a year. My sister and her family live there(kuna), and when I do get back it's ussually family time. Hope you do good though. Here's another place that's good in the morning, the cliffs aren't because in the morning they fly over too high. Follow the directions to get to the cliffs like I said, but once you get on the CJ strike cut-off road, don't turn off to the left to go to the cliffs, just follow that gravel road strait after about 2 miles past the cliffs road. The road drops way down into a basin, and you see the resivor and strike damn. Youll also see a marshy, watery, area down to your right, on the other side of the road from the resivor. I forget the name and my darn TOPO map don't say either cuz it's too small. We used to launch a canoe and paddel around that in the morning, right at first light. The guy in the back paddals, the guy in the front blast birds as the pop around the corner. They usually see you and get about a foot an' a half of the water "they're on the wing, FAIR GAME!" sorry, I'm not much of a wing shooter, so ussually they drop where they're sitting. If you don't have a boat, this marsh is still a fairly good place, providing you have a dog, because it's too deep for waders, and soo much brush you'll lose most the birds.
Old September 6, 2000, 06:15 PM   #10
Dave R

Thanks! I have a canoe, so this should work.

FYI, the guy who sold me the canoe claims its a great aid for deer hunting, too. He gets his tag in an area that has a good (mellow!) river. Floats the river at first light. Says he always runs into a herd or two by the river and gets a shot. No way to validate, but it sounds good.