The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 20, 2000, 02:27 PM   #1
anodes

Don't get me wrong, I like the other thread.

But, the most elusive game or other animal I almost never seen is...

The Ringtail Cat!

Or:

Cacomistle , small New World mammal, genus Bassaricus, related to the raccoon. There are two species, one found in Mexico and the SW United States, the other in Central America. The North American cacomistle, B. astutus, also known as ringtail, ring-tailed cat, and coon cat, ranges north to N Colorado and S Oregon and west to E Texas. Its body is slender and squirrellike, its face pointed and foxlike. The head and body are about 15 in. (38 cm) long; the bushy tail is of equal length. The body fur is yellowish-gray, the tail ringed with dark brown and white. The face is marked with dark brown and white, but there is no mask like that of the raccoon. Swift, agile, and able climbers, cacomistles prefer regions with trees, but they live in a variety of habitats. They are nocturnally active and although fairly common are seldom seen. They are sometimes found in pairs and make dens in hollow trees, caves, rock crevices, or abandoned buildings. Cacomistles feed primarily on small animals but also eat some vegetable matter.

Or at least that what my on-line encyclopedia calls them, I always called them Quatomundi. Maybe that's just AZ slang.

The ONE I saw was in the Mingus Mtns near Jerome. Yes, at night! How about a nice Ruger 77/22 in .22WMR or .22 Hornet, w/nightscope?
anodes.
Old June 20, 2000, 03:41 PM   #2
Keith Rogan

Without a doubt, the wolf. You can hunt them as a game animal here in Alaska and we have many of them but they are RARELY taken except as an "accident" while hunting other species.
They are extremely cunning. A few get taken by calling, but they are so wary that they'll normaly do a complete circle around the caller beyond rifle range and find your trail into the blind.
I have nothing but respect for anyone who takes a wolf by fair chase means.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old June 20, 2000, 03:48 PM   #3
LoneStar

I've only seen two ring-tailed cats, ever. The were both in the Texas hill-country, the last one was this past spring turkey season. I've hunted for them many times, with no luck. The two I've seen were both at night, while driving to the stand before daylight (to hunt other game).

I've been trying for years for a bobcat, with no luck either (even though they keep confusing one of my tree stands for a litter box - bad kitty!). I had one in my sights once, crosshairs right on the back of its head. Just as I clicked the safety off, the darned thing jumped up, turned into a BIG owl, and flew off . scared the h*ll out of me. oh well.

I'd love to just see a wild mountain lion. I've seen there tracks in various places in East Texas, but no critters

But so far the most elusive game in North America for me has been a white-tail buck of 10 points or better. Will keep looking though!

[This message has been edited by LoneStar (edited June 21, 2000).]
Old June 20, 2000, 05:45 PM   #4
MAD DOG

I think that the intelligent (natural) blonde female human is the rarest.
I looked for years and never even heard tell of one. There are some fine trophy specimens of the regular dingaling versions to be had, so long as you stuff their mouth first after bagging them so you don't have to listen to them blather.

Watch out for those redheads though. Cunning, devious, and rapacious. I got caught by one 14 years ago, and she is still hanging on!
Fortunately I don't mind, because she is a great mother to my kids, and a great wife to me. These are pretty rare too, so I count myself lucky to have been bagged by one.
Old June 20, 2000, 06:20 PM   #5
Futo Inu

I'm also searching for a natural blonde or natural redhead.
Old June 20, 2000, 06:24 PM   #6
anodes

One of one, couple of the other in my trophy room already!

Might as well go after the Giant Squid next. Oops, forgot. Wrong thread.
anodes.
Old June 20, 2000, 09:19 PM   #7
Rutgers

I'd like to shoot a japenese snow monkey. Legend has it that they were introduced by the british in the late 1600's, but only survived in the rocky mountains. they are only legal to shoot in CO if they are shot off the back of an elk. Hear they taste kinda gamey though.

Rutgers

sorry, didnt see the For real disclaimer.

[This message has been edited by Rutgers (edited June 20, 2000).]
Old June 21, 2000, 10:52 AM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The ring-tailed cat, in Texas is a cute little squirrel-sized critter. The coatimundi is much larger, around possum to small-raccoon size; it has a semi-prehensile nose. But definitely two different critters.

Both have ringed tails...

FWIW, Art
Old June 21, 2000, 11:55 AM   #9
anodes

Thank's, Art. As I say it was dark. I'd also say about 3' nose to tail. Purty lil thing!
anodes.