The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2005, 06:55 PM   #1
Kayser

Resize .45 ACP after pulling bullets?

Is it generally required to resize 45 ACP after pulling a bullet (kinetic), or will a solid taper crimp take care of keeping the reseated bullet snug?
Old April 2, 2005, 07:34 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

There should be enough spring in the brass to hold the next bullet. You will, however, have to expand the case mouth again to seat the new bullet without scraping it up. This especially true with lead and cast bullets; an unexpanded case mouth will shave metal off of them. This not only alters the bullet, but the shavings will foul the bore and the business end of your chamber. This last problem can create dangerous pressures by getting the chamber so tight case mouths don't have room to open up enough to let go of their bullet when fired.

If you decide resize anyway, remember to take the decapping pin out of the die, or you will waste a primer.

Nick
Old April 2, 2005, 08:01 PM   #3
cheygriz

I don't know if this is realoy necessary, but I resize it about halfway, and then re-bell the case mouths.

It may not be needed, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling!
Old April 2, 2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I treat it like a fired case and run it all the way back throught the process. That costs me a primer (Of course I have a doctor, lawyer, and hazmat responder on hand any time I decap a live primer.) but I feel it worth the cent and a half to ensure a good quality loaded round. Trying to dink around and save a primer and the time to do it right can upset your routine and lead to another spoiled cartridge.