The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 23, 2005, 01:12 PM   #1
Ian Nersesian

Newbie Question, Got a new toy.

I picked up my first Semi last night. I got a used Winchester 140 that is in great shape. I am familiar with guns in general and just curious if there is anything in particular I should be aware of with this model?

I downloaded the manual already from Winchester but just looking for a little first hand experience, thanks alot guys and gals.
Old March 23, 2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Ian Nersesian

Also, I have looked on various sites and can't find my model anywhere. Trying to see when it was produced and what current market value would be.
Serial Number is N961036, it is a Winchester Ranger 140 Semi in 85-90% condition. Mainly interested in production date or range. Thanks again.
Old March 23, 2005, 07:30 PM   #3
bergie

Model 140

The Model 140 Ranger was only produced for a short time and quickly replaced by the 1400 Ranger. I used to have one, bought it K-Mart about 15 years ago I think, can't remember the year for sure. At that time it was on clearance for about $125. Never shot it very much, switching over to it, it just didn't "feel" right to me after using the same shotgun for 20 years. Had a couple of problems with it, first the ejector (look through the port, the flat spring thing screwed to the inside opposite side) came loose and retracted with the bolt locking everything up real good. Then, a couple years later I was going to sell it to a buddy since I never shot it. We took it out and ran a few boxes of shells through it shooting rocks, and he was smokin everything, so he was more than willing to take it. A week later, on the opening day of pheasant season when he went to load it up, it slamfired when he hit the bolt release. Luckily he only had it pointed at his pickup box and not at one of the guys. Upon some further very careful attempts to load it, and anylize the problem, it was impossible to chamber a round without it firing. Sent it to Winchester and they sent me a new 1400 Ranger. Still have that, use it sometimes, but it still don't "feel" right compared to my old High Standard.
Around here used 1400 Rangers go for $150-$175.

bergie