The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 16, 2005, 09:23 PM   #1
netwizard20

General CCW Question

This is a part gun and part knife question

At work today I was showing a coworker my new Smith and Wesson S.W.A.T full size folder. He like it and was impressed but than says: "Be careful when you carry that around off base (we are active Air Force). You might get busted for carrying a concealed weapon." As soon as the words "concealed weapon" came out the converation turned to CCW permits.

So heres the question. Does a CCW cover knives, or only firearms? And do you need one to carry a knife like mine?

I live in Colorado. The knife is not automatic, although I keep it well oiled and can open very quickly. And the blade is under 4inches.

(mods: if this is not firearm related enough please feel free to delete)
Old March 16, 2005, 09:27 PM   #2
croyance

What is the length of the blade? Most states allow folding knives with blades of 3" or less. Most (not all) law enforcement define the blade as the sharpened part. Some count the total length of the metal part.

I do not know about Colorado specifically. I know Georgia is not enamoured or folding knives at all.
Old March 16, 2005, 09:30 PM   #3
netwizard20

I measured the blade at 3.5 inches
Old March 16, 2005, 09:36 PM   #4
ATW525

I can't say that I've been hassled for carrying a knife, even south of the border in the Commonwealth of Assachusettes. If you look clean cut and your not causing trouble, it's been my experiance that police just don't bother worrying about the size of your pocket knife. If you look or act like a hooligan, they might react differently though. Of course, these days I don't carry a knife, and just pack my Benchmade Spring-Assisted Letter Opener, instead.
Old March 16, 2005, 10:07 PM   #5
HappyGunner

The CCW Book

I am sure Colorado like other States have a CCW book that has a section that covers just what can and can't be carried CCW. Get this book and check it out
Old March 16, 2005, 10:11 PM   #6
mec

In Texas the legal definition of an illegal knife includes "any knife made or modified for offense or defense." I wondered outloud one time if the Letters SWAT on that smith knife might make it an illegal weapon here. Clerk said,
"It stands for Smith and Wesson Advanced Technology."
Probably not
Old March 16, 2005, 10:28 PM   #7
netwizard20

I have never had a problem carrying a knife. I even carried auto's in tuscon. I asked these questions cause I dont want to get caught with my pants down.
Old March 16, 2005, 10:29 PM   #8
USP45usp

You know, I never really thought about it (knife carry). I carry a Browning folder and the blade is abit over three inches and I haven't been called on the carpet for it. But what is stranger is that if I am "illegal" and I have a CCW (here, it's for pistols only, I believe) then what do they consider more dangerous (and a knife IS dangerous if used wrong but most of the anti's are scared weak-kneed over a gun, not a knife).

As for
Quote:
"any knife made or modified for offense or defense."
I know that Texas is great on their gun laws but what the heck is this about? You can't use a knife in defense of your person if that is the only thing that you have but you can carry and use a gun for the same purpose ?

Crazy laws, if they weren't so dangerous, they would be funny.

Wayne
Old March 16, 2005, 10:42 PM   #9
tyme
Staff

mec, that's not from Texas law. I think it's Georgia law.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old March 16, 2005, 10:50 PM   #10
Lancel

You can find Colorado's knife carry law here:

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/colorado

It's about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Larry
Old March 16, 2005, 11:41 PM   #11
netwizard20

Great site lancel...used a link there to bring up the whole statute

found my answer

According to the definitions my knife is not a "knife". Therefore I could not be charged with possesion of a dangerous weapon. Also read though that I could carry a larger or automatic knife as long as it is for the lawful discharge of my duties as a member of the armed forces. Lastly, it appears that the CCW in Colorado includes "knives". It is important to note that the CCW does not cover autos, switchblades or gravity knives.
Old March 17, 2005, 12:34 AM   #12
Jungle Work

From my new down loaded Texas Penal Code:

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half
inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab
another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk,
stilletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.
(7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is
capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or
stabbing a person with the instrument.

Jungle Work
Old March 17, 2005, 09:26 AM   #13
mec

The language I used above "Used" to be in Texas law. I looked up the pdf of Ch 46 and find that in Texas an illegal knife now consists of:
A A knife with a blade over 5.5"
B Hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown
C. Dagger Including but not limited to: Dirk Stiletto, Poniard/
D Bowie knife;
E. Sword;or,
F. Spear.
Dirk, Stiletton, Poniard, Bowie Knife, Sword and Spear are not described or defined.
Section 46.05 goes on to include " Switchblade Knife" as a Prohibited Weapon
and defines them as a knife that opens from pressure on a button on the handle or:
by centrifugal force.
If your blade is loose enough to open by the flick of a wrist or is a balisong-it is legally a "switchblade: but if it is an assisted open knife that snaps open when you flick the blade, it is apparently legal.
The vagueness of the definitions seem to leave quite a bit of leeway in defining what an illegal knife might be. You often hear police and others define double -edged knives as falling somewhere in the illegal spectrum.
Old March 17, 2005, 09:42 AM   #14
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The vagueness of the definitions seem to leave quite a bit of leeway in defining what an illegal knife might be.
They were probably going after gravity knives with the "centrifugal force" bit.
Old March 17, 2005, 10:33 AM   #15
mec

It does pre-date the bali-song fad of a few decades ago. At one time Texas did use the language of " designed, made or modified for offense or defense." as a general definition of a knife you couldn't carry. Up until 1979, lockblade folders were considered " prohibited weapons." The revised penal code made a distinction between "illegal (to carry); and, "Prohibited"( banned except as curios).
the old Italian folders we called Stilettos were shaped just like most of the switchblades and would open readily with a flip of the wrist. They had a double edge of sorts- though both edges were pretty dull at best.

The kid next door used to get a new switchblade every couple of weeks. He would take it out into the back yard and throw it at the chinaberry tree. It would break and his dad would get him another one. I learned the word " impeach" from him. I thought he was talking about the peach trees were were growing at the time but he explained that Eisenhower ought to be impeached because he had outlawed switchblades.
Old March 17, 2005, 10:36 AM   #16
Jungle Work

mec,
The vagueness of the definitions seem to leave quite a bit of leeway in defining what an illegal knife might be. You often hear police and others define double -edged knives as falling somewhere in the illegal spectrum.

A very true statement in Texas. In the county I live in the police will arrest you and the country attorney will prosecute you if you carry legal knives that she thinks are "switch blades". They are assisted opening knives. The cases so far have not gotten to the appealete level.

Tamara,
They were probably going after gravity knives with the "centrifugal force" bit.

When I was a kid I had a German Paratrooper knife my dad brought home from WWII. He always told me it was illegal to carry. Only later did I realize he was right.

Jungle Work
BTW-I have several time arrested Criminals for carrying Daggers, kind of a no brainer if they are "Criminals"......
Old March 17, 2005, 10:37 AM   #17
DennisD

Just thought I’d relate this little story. I was in Austin recently with my girlfriend. She had never seen the capital building so we went on a tour. While walking up the front lawn I realized I had my Kershaw folder in my pocket (flick open with a 3“ blade). I thought “damn, now I’ve got to walk all the way back to the hotel”. I decided to go on and see if there was a security check and if they would just hold the knife for me till we were through. No security check point going in the door but I just wanted to be sure so I went up to two DPS officers that were inside chatting. Told them about the knife and my concern. They asked to see it, kinda chuckled to themselves and said “not a problem, long as the blade is under the legal length limit”.
Old March 17, 2005, 10:46 AM   #18
Jungle Work

The Kershaw flick blade knives are the ones the County Attorney doesn't like where I live. Used to sell them at Knives Plus and the Walmart stores until the police started hookin' folks up.

Jungle Work