The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 17, 2005, 03:59 PM   #51
gb_in_ga

"To the topic....If you can hear a cell phone ringing, the conversation being said, or are worried about what the guy next to you is legally doing then..........YOU AIN'T DOING ENOUGH SHOOTING !!!!!!"

Right On! That, and you might oughta think about getting better ear protection!
Old March 17, 2005, 04:19 PM   #52
USP45usp

gb,

I take it that you don't have "wolf ears" (oh, if not, get some, they are GRRREEEEEEEEEET!).

With the wolf ears, the normal voices of people are clear as day and you'd be surprised what you can pick up with them. So people using normal muffs and plugs may not hear (or barely hear) the conversation, I can and it's like the person is speaking directly to you (if they are close anyway) and yes, it does cause a distraction "oh yes my lovely bunnytail. give me kisses, mimimimimim (kissy noises), I love you too pookybuns" (actual overheard conversation :barf: ).

Wayne
Old March 17, 2005, 07:46 PM   #53
Bullrock

Let's see if I can keep this short. I wear my seat belt because I can't afford to pay the fine on a fixed income. I really resent that law being imposed upon me. To those who cite insurance rates, may I ask you to quote me the overall property/casualty company difference's in bodily injury loss ratios in any state since the inception of mandatory seat belt laws.

I've lived at a time when there were NO seatbelts. We drove high powered V8's, and never gave it a thought. If anyone was injured in an auto accident, and they were at fault THEIR insurance rate went up, not mine! When they were not at fault, the rate went up on the guy who caused the accident. It's the same today, and insurance rates are just a phoney left excuse to keep us under governments thumb.

Now before someone reminds me that traffic has increased since my heyday, I would tell you in 1957 traffic was bumper to bumper at times on Route 128 around Boston, and still is.

I'm outta here!
Old March 17, 2005, 08:44 PM   #54
Bobarino

i actually don't mind cell phones at the range. when i go, i go to practice drawing and firing from concealment in order to stay proficient with my carry piece. if i ever have to actually use it in self defense i can't exactly ask everyone around me to hush while i aim and fire. might as well learn how to shoot decent while people are yacking away on their phones, hot brass is pelting you in the forhead, your buddy is tapping you on the shoulder telling you to look at his bullseye, other people shooting magnums next to you etc. alternatively, if you don't buy that philosophy, when he's not looking, tape his phone to your target and ventilate it for him.

Bobby
Old March 17, 2005, 11:33 PM   #55
gb_in_ga

Wayne:

Nope, I've just got "conventional" muffs, 30 db'ers. They seem to do the job well enough. That, and I've trained myself to tune out just about everything around me on the firing line. It comes from doing so much target archery, where you don't use any ear protection at all. We used to train ourselves to ignore everything, up to and including throwing paper wads at whoever was shooting -- sounds crazy, I know, but it pays off come tournament time.

Besides that, I just trained myself a long time ago to just tune out everything I'm not interested in. If it doesn't concern me, I ignore it, it just becomes background noise -- especially when I am busy like at work or while at the range. So, cell phone conversations close by, even when not at the range, just don't register to me. It is one of those "Mind over Matter" things -- I don't mind that others want to have a phone conversation, so it just doesn't matter to me. Whatever it is they are talking about, it isn't any of my business, and I've got much better things to do than obsess over someone wanting to have a conversation that doesn't involve me, or to get all worked out of shape over it like so many people do. Like, for instance, keeping my mind on what it is I'm doing at the time.

Oh, BTW -- Way back when, I used to have a set of those "Sonic Ear Valve" plugs, and they seemed to be pretty good at letting me hear normal coversations while protecting the hearing at the range -- ok, not as good as my current muffs, but still not too bad. Anyway, they got lost in a move and never got replaced, and now I just use the muffs.

Bobby:

Yep -- you get it. Learn to do what it is you do under adverse conditions -- even while people are going out of their way to distract you, because when it comes crunch time you sure can't be assured of "perfect" conditions.
Old March 17, 2005, 11:42 PM   #56
USP45usp

You know, just from reading the replies... maybe I should use this as a training tactac. Listen to "bunnybuns" or whatever the heck you people say to your girlfriends/wives to get some that night ( ) or whatever, train to shoot around discussing conversations and hit the mark.

Could just work after thinking about it. I can deal with that .

Wayne