The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2005, 11:24 PM   #1
HARDEIGHT

1st Gun For Home Defence Need Opinions

HI ,GREAT FORUM . I'M LOOKING TO GET A HOME SD. PISTOL . I LIKE THE WALTHER P99 9mm. any comments on this weapon pro or con . i also would like to get a firearm for the wife,is a 22lr too light for home sd?

thanks for your comments.
Old January 31, 2005, 11:48 PM   #2
XavierBreath

A 22 pistol is better than nothing. A larger caliber is better though. Let her try a service size 9mm or 38spl and see how she does. Try a S&W Model 10. It's a tried and true, hard to beat gun, and you can generally pick up a good used one for $200.

I'm a firm proponent of the 12 gauge shotgun for home defense. The only advantage of a handgun is portability, and you do not need that in your house. Some will say that it is tricky to use while negotiating a hallway, and that is true. What you should be doing is defending a protected position until help arrives. A shotgun does that very well.
Old January 31, 2005, 11:51 PM   #3
wile_coyote

Hey HardEight...

The P99 is a great gun. I have on but in .40. It fits the hand well and shoots great. It was my primary CCW, but now is my "home" gun (for lack of a better term). My current CCW is a Glock 29 (the Glock is a little smaller, and I love 10mm's).

For the lady, I would stick with something along the .380 or better. The .22 is a great gun for anything, but more power for defense is desirable (just my opinion). If you like the P99, check out the Walther P22. I have one of those and it is great, just like the P99.

Good luck with your decision.
Old January 31, 2005, 11:52 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Most all reports on the Walther 99 seem to be good. Thumbs up. I'd get the wifey something in .38 special, .380 auto, 9x18 makarov, or 9x19 as well. .22 ain't enough IMO. .380 in a large auto pistol or .38 special in a mid-framed revolver is going to be fairly pleasant to shoot. But then again, 9x19 ain't much different, seeing as how they're locked breech pistols, whereas most (all?) .380s are blowback operated (more recoil).
Old February 1, 2005, 12:01 AM   #5
IanS

That's a nice first gun. How often do you plan to practice? Do you intend to be learn to properly clean and maintain the gun? If not a S&W K frame revolver in .38 is probably your best bet. Both you and your wife will probably be able to handle it and its basically point and shoot as long its loaded.

Go to the range and try some guns and if you are serious about self defense at least take a class. Both you and your wife will learn safe gun handling skills and you will feel more confident and comfortable around fireams. Lessons are highly recommended. At this stage its even more important than what you choose.
Old February 1, 2005, 12:05 AM   #6
BillCA

I can't address the specifics of the Walther P99 but there are several factors to considering a home defense/self defense firearm.

First of all, the most important factor is whether you can actually hit something with a firearm. Practice is important of course, but if the gun doesn't fit your hand (too big, too small, akward feeling, etc.) you may have trouble making a rapid shot on target.

Secondly, where do you live? Single Family home? Condos or townhomes? Apartment? The high velocity rounds like 9mm tend to penetrate modern sheet rock construction very easily. Do you have children down the hall? Are their bedrooms in the line of fire? Living in "high density housing" like apartments or condos puts your walls against your neighbor's and it's considered rude to surprise your neighbors with errant rounds.

Will a 9mm work? Sure. The P99? IF you invest enough practice time to make it second nature to you (and your wife) how to load, operate the safety, fire, clear any jams, safe and unload the gun. Jams can happen with any auto pistol and you'll need to know how to deal with them quickly.

Personally, I favor a revolver - the original point & click interface - for their simplicity. A .38/.357 revolver provides a wide variety of ammo choices and some wheelguns are now offered in 7-shot and 8-shot cylinders.

Can you use a .22 for SD? Sure. As long as you're aware of the limits. The .22 LR is not a big "manstopper" of course. But there is an old saying that "a hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44". In other words, if your wife can't shoot a larger caliber gun accurately but can pinpoint shoot with a .22 handgun, the .22 will be better for defense. Plus she can afford to practice a LOT with the little .22 until she's very, very good with it.

My personal favorites for HD handguns are big bore revolvers. They're simple to use (especially if you're awakened suddenly), usually fairly mild of recoil, low velocity, low overpenetration and good stopping power. A .44 special, .45 Colt or .45 ACP revolver are excellent tools. Even the .38 Special provides a decent combination of power and controlability.

But if you really want that P99, it'll work just fine if you do your part!
Old February 1, 2005, 12:17 AM   #7
HARDEIGHT

IanS i totally agree with you . i was planning on taking a class on safety and plan on hitting the range at least once a month. Same for the wife . I hope i will never have to fire a weapon in my house but if i do i don't want to shoot myself or my wife.

wile c the p22 is the gun i liked for the wife. heres my question re 22s. other than target, what are they used for if the are too weak for sd?

xavier, i was once told by a good friend if someone breaks into your house all you have to do is pump a shell into the chamber of a shot gun and that sound, usually kills em!

thanks again for the input
Old February 1, 2005, 12:42 AM   #8
wile_coyote

I have the P22 because I like it and can get in a lot of shooting with it. The cost of the ammo is great.
Another reason I bought the P22 - it is the gun I am teaching my daughter how to shoot with.
My sister-in-law bought a P22 and she is a good shot with it. She could never get used to bigger calibers (noise and recoil freaked her out). She went with the 22 and loves it.
I do agree with others here, go to a range and see if they have rentals. Shoot a few different pistols and find the one you like (make and caliber). I already voiced my opinion on the P99
Old February 1, 2005, 01:41 AM   #9
chris in va

A .22 has a couple uses. They're considerably cheaper than 'normal' guns, and the ammo is, well...you know.

They are great as training aids. Sort of a 'gateway drug' for guns. Anyone can shoot them comfortably, and they are amazingly fun. Put a red dot on top, and it's like cheating. Fantastic plinkers if you're lucky enough to live where you can do that.

22's also are probably 80% of any other handgun out there in terms of operation. My Ruger 22/45 for example has very similar controls to most 1911's. It has a slide release, safety and mag release button on the left side. If you've ever watched a movie with lots of gunplay, you'll find none of the firearms have much muzzle flip or recoil. The blanks used are similar to a .22's kick...minimal, but there.

Once she learns the .22 decently, a larger bore gun will be a no-brainer since most of the skills will transfer.

Thing is though, a .22 should not be relied on for HD. Sure, people get killed *all* the time by a couple shots to the head (happened 2 weeks ago here) but those are premeditated shot placement situations. If someone were to threaten me after busting in the door, all I could probably think about is center of body mass shots. A .22 would probably just piss him off.
Old February 1, 2005, 12:35 PM   #10
FirstFreedom

Xavier, I would agree with you that the shotgun is better, *IF* you could always count on the scenario you describe (defensive position waiting for the cavalry). But unfortunately, the BG may be between you and the telephone! Or the cell phone you keep by your bed could had dead batteries (tell me you've never let yours run out of juice. ). So, for the situations where you might have to *clear* rooms to keep your family safe, I don't want to be going around corners with a shotgun, however short it may be (unless it's an SBS pistol config). I want a handgun that can immediately go on target while rounding a corner. Truth be told, the setup is as follows: Both 12 guage and handgun are near the bed. If a defensive position is called for, grab the shotgun and wait it out. If, OTOH, I believe that I need to *clear* the house, then what will happen is, the shotgun gets slung over the back for backup, and the handgun is in my hands. So, bottom line, a good battery of HD needs BOTH handgun and shotgun, IMO!

BillCA speaks very wisely (except that I don't like the idea of revos for HD because I like being able to hear things, and indoor shooting + revo = hearing aids in old age, should you ever need to use your gun, due to cylinder gap. But of course, I could be all wet on this theory, since ANY handgun or longgun indoors is likely to seriously damage you, because of the reverberation off walls, cylinder gap or no).
Old February 2, 2005, 12:47 AM   #11
BillCA

FirstFreedom,

Having fired a 9mm indoors I can safely say "HUH? What dija say?"
All handguns are loud indoors without ear protection. Plan on NOT hearing the BG after you cap off a round or two at him. Same for rifle or shotgun.

If one wanted a .22 for a serious HD gun, it would be hard to pass up a Ruger 10/22 rifle with a folding stock. Especially if one lives in a sensible state where 20 round mags can be had. If stuck with a handgun, I'd want a 4" revolver with 8 to 10 rounds in the cylinder.

XavierBreath,
Likewise, I'd often recommended a 12ga for HD until several lady friends tried using the Winchester 1300 or Rem 870. No fun they said. Tactical change. Now I suggest a 20ga semi-auto with a 5-6 shot capacity for HD with #4 buck. For women it's easier to use and they don't have to think about pumping the slide. You should see one lady friend with her 20" Remington 20ga hit a silhoutte target! A neighbor's wife prefers the one her father gave her -- an older Rossi 20ga coachgun side-by-side with 18" barrels. And she's used it for skeet too!
Old February 2, 2005, 01:41 AM   #12
Blue Heeler

It's all pretty well covered here. I would just like to stress that whatever you use make sure it's simple. That's why I prefer a short barrel hammergun or a revolver. No messing about trying to find out what condition the gun is in. No need to find the 'on' button. If the hammer is back it's ready Jack.
Old February 2, 2005, 01:51 AM   #13
MNDealer

A Ruger GP-100 in .357 is a simple, fairly inexpensive, and extremely reliable home defense gun.

Bill's Gun Shop and Range
Old February 2, 2005, 02:10 AM   #14
XavierBreath

Actually my cell phone charger is by the bed, since the cell phone is my alarm clock too.

I agree, for a woman, a 20 gauge would be a better bet, with a youth stock. I keep a 1911 C&L beside the bed as well. Still, i have to maintain that house clearing is a very risky task when one could take up a defensive stance instead. I suppose it's all about the layout of one's house, and where the people who need your protection are.
Old February 2, 2005, 09:00 AM   #15
yorec

Another vote for the shotgun here - but I'm not gonna rehash that which has been talked about already. Instead I'll point out that since your original inclination toward a .22 lr seems to indicate your wife may be a little on the recoil shy side, that a .410 ga shotgun packs nearly as much wallop as a .44 mag without much recoild or over penetration danger. A pumpgun in .410 is a pretty good setup for small statured recoild shy types...

And if it isn't near the problem a 20 ga is more powerful than any handgun going as far as HD goes.
Old February 2, 2005, 10:37 AM   #16
RWK

Mid-size (four- or five-inch barrel) .357 magnum revolver, probably loaded with Speer .38 Special +P Gold Dots. I would suggest a Ruger GP100 series or a S&W L or N Frame.
Old February 2, 2005, 02:34 PM   #17
tintcutter

5" XD40 and a youth 870 12 gauge with telephone and flashlight and remote control burglar alarm in a bedroom with a metal door (which looks like the regular ones).
Old February 2, 2005, 05:31 PM   #18
HARDEIGHT

Thanks for all the great input. I like the shotgun idea but i dont think she can handle one. after reading all the posts i think the best route is to go to a revolver. I did pick up a walther p22 yesterday for the both of us to start on. i would of bought what i wanted also (walther p99 9mm) but the guy behind the counter made it seem like i was bothering him,so i guess i'll go somewhere else.

thanks again

dave
Old February 2, 2005, 05:34 PM   #19
Blind Tree Frog

I'd also recommend a big dog that doesn't like strangers.
Old February 2, 2005, 05:46 PM   #20
HARDEIGHT

I'm Covered On The Dogs We Have 2 (bigg Ones)
Old February 2, 2005, 06:07 PM   #21
Blind Tree Frog

now attach lasers to their heads so they can have a hot meal and you don't need guns at home
Old February 3, 2005, 02:16 AM   #22
yorec

She can't handle a .410 ga shotgun?

A revolver won't be easier...
Old February 3, 2005, 09:54 AM   #23
mathman

I think a 3 or 4 inch Ruger .357 is hard to beat for a simple HD weapon that can be used by people with or without experience.