The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 20, 2005, 01:17 PM   #1
Blind Tree Frog

SOB Holsters. Palm In or Out?

While looking at holsters for my Witness it seems that no one really makes the holster I think I would feel most comfortable carrying. I'm looking for a small of the back holster with the gun situated so that my palm is facing away from me when I draw. So far I've found one company that makes a holster in this fashion.

Ignoring other problems with SOB holsters, is the palm in grip really that much superior/more comfortable?
Old January 20, 2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Handy

I know you don't want to talk about it, but the chances of getting a spinal injury from this type of holster is unacceptably high.

You carry a pistol to fend off an attack - an attack that is just as likely to start with you being knocked down on your back as anything else.

If you're going to plan against the chance of being physically attacked, don't put yourself in the position of incurring a grevious injury due to the gear that is supposed to be protecting you.

Sermon over.
Old January 20, 2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Denied

I have an inside the pants, left hand holster for my PPK/s. I carry it to the right of center and draw with my right hand, palm out. Works for me, been carrying that way for 30 years or so.
old cop
Old January 20, 2005, 02:14 PM   #4
Blind Tree Frog

Handy,
isn't that I didn't want to talk about it, it was just that it wasn't what I wanted to talk about in this thread. But since it came up, I honestly have no idea where i want to carry a pistol if I ever do (which i doubt I will). From carrying my cell phone I've grown to not like the hip though and prefer either the front towards the inner hip or on my belt behind me. The former being more comfortable when sitting and the latter being a pain in the ass when sitting, but like it isn't there when standing.

If it just wont sit comfortably on my hip, then I don't see any reason why i should wear it there.
Old January 20, 2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Handy

Hip and SOB certainly aren't the only choices - I just feel strongly about the danger related to SOB carry to speak up. I would rather be uncomfortable (hip carry), slow (shoulder holster) or undergunned (pocket .32) than go to an SOB.

Personally, I constructed a holster for front carry, which works well with my build and an untucked shirt.
Old January 20, 2005, 05:27 PM   #6
Blind Tree Frog

I've seen so far:

Shoulder carry (one strap or two) -- Probably my second choice if I wore jackets that would cover it. Not sure I want the wieght on my shoulder all day though.

Hip (OWB) -- I'll know better after I handle one, but i'm not seeing this comfortable to wear or draw from at all

HIP (IWB) -- Even worse drawing due to being closer to my body and putting an annoying bulge in my pants.

Thigh -- Not very concealed, but I like the idea. If i only ever did range or hunting and never planned to wear it, I'd say sure.

Ankle -- Not happening

SOB/Kidney -- Draw should be clean and easy. Uncomfortable when sitting and definite risk if i fall down and go boom.

SOB just seems most comfortable to wear for me. Though if I cna find a cheap slide i might give it a shot.
Old January 22, 2005, 06:41 AM   #7
Bulldozer

BTF, there are many options for belt carry. An often overlooked proposition is cross-draw and appendix carry. You might also opt for a belly band positioned just above the beltline under your shirt. A third option is the Kramer Confidant -- slow but very discreet and quite comfy. Finally, there is Smart Carry and Thunderwear that position the weapon in a 'roo-type pouch in your crotch area. They work very nicely with pleated pants.
Old January 22, 2005, 07:09 AM   #8
mete

BTF that sounds like a draw where you are at one point , pointing the gun at yourself ! Those who use that draw are putting themselves at very great risk of shooting themselves under stress of a SD situation !!! There are many better ways .
Old January 22, 2005, 07:34 AM   #9
joab

As mete said, to draw from a palm out position you would sweep yourself unless you make a conscious effort not to.

To avoid sweeping you have to draw the gun until the muzzle completely clears your body and pivot the gun towards the ground, putting your arm at almost a 90 degree angle, kinda like you were doing the Funky Chicken, then you have to rotate the gun while still pointing at the ground and bring it up to firing position. Taking more space and time than you may have during an emergency

From the palm in position you draw the gun in a more natural movement where you would have to consciously try to point the gun at your self ,

Try it both ways Mexican to get used to it and see which way feels more natural

I have some experience with SOB carry and don't recommend it.
It can be dangerous method of carry, and I have the X-rays to prove it
Old January 22, 2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Marko Kloos

I prefer palm in...it's faster to get your hand on the grip without having to shove it between the body and the gun before you can get a good firing grip on the weapon.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 22, 2005, 09:59 AM   #11
Eric Larsen

Palm in is the least likely to sweep people while drawing the gun. SOB carry is an acquired taste and not one that many people like, even after they try it.....
Good luck with it...........Eric

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old January 22, 2005, 12:52 PM   #12
WolfDog

I just bought an Ambi KMJ IWB holster for SOB carry for my new P345 when I finally get it and I am still deciding which way works best for me as well.

I have a airgun that is the same size and wieght of the P345 that I have been doing practice draws with and it is difficult to not sweep yourself drawing with the palm facing out.

I am still working on how best to safely draw a pistol in this form of carry.

I am a very slim build and carrying on the hip causes the gun to print horribly unless I am wearing an outer jacket of some form to hide the holster.

SOB is about the only way I can carry without a jacket and is really comfortable for me even sitting due to how I am built. I have even carried a GP100 this way comfortably without any problems other than the huge grips snagging on the shirt pulled over them.

Most likely I will settle on a SOB palm in carry once I get the holster set up as a "lefty" draw to get the thing set up to clip to the belt palm out though.