The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2004, 12:38 PM   #1
bikenjam

Ques. on coyote hunting

I'm really interested in coyote hunting, but i have a few questions. I know with whitetail deer, moring and evening seem to be the best time to hunt, but is that true with coyotes too? Also, does those scent killing sprays really help that much? Plus, if you have any other tips, they would be helpful

thanks!
Old December 10, 2004, 11:28 PM   #2
Greybeard

Yep, near sunrise and sunset often good for coyotes, but nightime spotlighting can be good too if state law allows. I'm not a big fan of the scents. It is important to set up to minimize movement - and, if calling, still expect 'em to likely come in from downwind.

A buddy has his sights set on getting Johnny Stewart's latest and greatest electronic gadget for calling 'em within range - as soon as the distributor's get 'em. The new widget is priced around $300 and has a remote control to unit/speaker up to 250 yards away.
Old December 11, 2004, 11:33 AM   #3
CJNies

Dawn and dusk have always worked the best for me.
I like to use a bit of skunk scent dripped on a bit of felt a few yards from my blind, I’ve also used fox or coyote urine, however both of those are a bit more expensive.
I often hunt in some rather remote locations so the extra baggage from an electric call is more then I care to haul, considering that if successful I’ll be toting a few critters as well. I carry two or three mouth calls and one cat toy squeaker mouse to bring them in close.
The cat toy works wonders, so much so that once I had a bobcat stalk me to within six feet before I saw him about to pounce on my head!
When you’re calling and you get that odd feeling that something is watching you…pay attention!!!!!
Old January 3, 2005, 08:24 PM   #4
Jseime

Good choice

i love coyote hunting and may i suggest a couple of mouth calls would serve just as well as an electronic one with less messing around
dawn and dusk are the best times but ive called the critters in right around noon too actually i got three to respond to the same call
i dont know much about cover scents and such but ive had plenty of luck without them i would recommend camo for summer hunts and white for snowy conditions they will come from downwind, you can see the exact second they catch your scent and you have to shoot then or all youll ever see of that coyote again is his tail departing at an amazing speed

they're sneaky and smart so you have to be too
Old January 3, 2005, 08:42 PM   #5
ratkiller

Go to www.predatormastersforums.com , they have a wealth of knowledge