Cap n ball

Two deer one bullet!

I just saw this. Man! Talk about luck!

Posted on Fri, Nov. 12, 2004
Two deer, one heck of a shot

Maple Grove hunter bags pair of bucks with one bullet

BY CHRIS HAMILTON

Duluth News Tribune

Dennis Paulson killed two deer with one bullet on opening day of Minnesota's firearms deer season.The single bullet passed through one buck's heart and another buck's neck, killing an eight-point and seven-point buck.Paulson, 40, a former Barnum, Minn., resident living in Maple Grove was hunting near Barnum on Saturday when he made the rare shot.

He was in a nine-person party on 120 acres of family-owned land about eight miles south of Carlton. While the rest of his party went in for lunch about noon, he decided to head back out to his stand near power lines.

"You always hear stories about bucks moving between the trees between noon and 2 p.m. when people are eating lunch, so I thought I'd give it a try," Paulson said in a telephone interview Wednesday.

He was in his deer stand about 2:30 p.m. when he missed a nice-sized buck. Then, about a half-hour later, he let two other deer pass as he waited for a trophy.

That is when Paulson saw an eight-point buck come out of the woods, then another behind it. They were standing next to each other in a field about 125 yards away. Paulson said the thought crossed his mind that he might have a real chance at getting them both with his bolt-action .300 Winchester Magnum, which holds four shells. "They call it an elephant gun up there," he said. But then he had a misfire. Coupled with the miss and an ejected jam in between, Paulson was down to his last bullet. The deer looked up, but they didn't leave. The wind was in his favor, he said.

Looking through his scope, he shot and both bucks went down. The second deer briefly got back up, and then fell for good, Paulson said. "You always hear about this with a buck and doe, but never two bucks together like that," said Paulson's brother Allan, who was also part of the hunting party. "We all said that's unbelievable."

But they never doubted Dennis Paulson's story, Allan Paulson said. "My brother's never lied in his life," he said with a laugh. Dennis Paulson's friend, Chad Clough of Barnum, had returned to his stand about 600 yards west by then and helped Paulson haul out the bucks. They figured the bucks were 130 pounds and 150 pounds field-dressed. "He (Clough) didn't see it," Paulson said. "But you can't make this one up. You can see how the bullets lined up. It's a true, legit story."
Old November 12, 2004, 03:43 PM   #2
the possum

A couple years ago my brother goth two deer with one shot. One was a nice 8 point buck, as I recall, and there was a little doe standing directly behind it that he never even saw. When he climbed down to tag the buck, he heard leaves rustling close by, and found the doe giving up the ghost. Sure enough, the blood trail started just behind this buck.

That same season my Dad got a really big 10 point that he was gonna have mounted, but then my little sister got an even bigger 11 point the next day! I never even got a shot that season.
Old November 13, 2004, 05:25 AM   #3
Brick

ok crowd, let's do the chant wave...

Ok...Yes, if someone can kill two deer with one .300 Mag that just indicates the power of the round. Gotta watch the backstop

(I know...)
Old November 14, 2004, 08:05 PM   #4
Roman Knoll

Last season, colleague of mine, shot two moose calves with one shot from .308W. I hope it wasn’t intentional and it is nothing to brag about even if it was. All this happened in open space so he must have seen both animals somehow. Still, in hunting all kinds of strange things may happen.

One winter I was stalking through the forest and stumbled upon herd of roe deer. I selected one buck that was standing distinctly clear from the rest and shot him with my .375 H&H. It was an easy 60 yard shot and he dropped in his tracks. The other deer started running in all directions and one almost stampeded upon me.

After gutting the buck, I went down the path and met my two companions, who said that I had wounded some game. They heard the shot and on the way up to join me, they saw fresh tracks and blood drops in the snow. I was flabbergasted since my gutted buck couldn’t possibly run away,

Since the whole ground was covered by fresh snow, it was not difficult to reconstruct what actually had happened.

The heavy .375” bullet, that pierced the buck, changed its direction in 45 degrees to right, flew another 40 -50 yards, went through thick shrubs and hit a deer standing on the other side of ravine. It was rather nasty eye opener. We never found that deer. Winter days are short and the animal was running fast. Judging from smallish blood drops on both side of the spoor, it might have been hit in the ears with tumbled bullet. I hope it recovered.

Roman
Old November 15, 2004, 10:10 AM   #5
Quickdraw Limpsalot

I'm glad he got both deer, but I'd never take that shot. The risk of wounding the second critter and losing it just isn't worth it to me, and you NEVER know what the path of the bullet will be upon exiting deer #1.