The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 28, 2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Scooterloo

Newbie section

I frequent other (non gun) boards, I was wondering if there was a forum for new guy questions,e.g. what gun, how often to clean it, local laws, etc. I know it is annoying to see the same questions asked week after week.
Thanks -D
Old October 28, 2004, 10:41 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

No, there's no specific forum. Legal questions go into L&P. Gun choice and maintenance questions go in General Discussion or in one of the firearm-type forums (rifles, semi-auto handguns, etc.).

Laws:
http://www.nra-ila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx
http://www.packing.org

Which gun to buy:
Make a list of guns that satisfy your criteria. Try some/most of them out. Once you narrow it down to a few that you like, and can't choose between them based on function or accuracy, then it's more productive to ask in the forums to get others' opinions. Just asking what gun to get is going to get you a million different responses if you don't have any idea what you want.

How often to clean a gun:
If you're asking what the minimum is... some guns tolerate less cleaning; others will jam when neglected. Obviously, you can clean them as often as you want.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old October 28, 2004, 10:43 PM   #3
Brick

Hey. Welcome to the Firing Line.

I don't think there would be a newbie/advanced section. Here are the costs...
1. Experts would generally get tired of answering newbie questions and not visit the newbie section
2. Eventually you'd have newbie answering newbie question. "Is 5.56 good? 'Yes, with its superior tumbling capabilities, if you hit a man in the shoulder it would tumble down to his center mass and explode'"

My .01¢™ (I'm saving for a HK53...)
Old October 28, 2004, 10:51 PM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Scooter-
There's no "dumb" questions. There are those who ask frequently asked questions without using the Search feature first (to see if it's been asked before). This can be a bit annoying to the rest of us "newbies" (we all are); but you'll generally find patience here.

Still, the Search feature is pretty powerful as a tool before you post.

Welcome to TFL.
Rich