The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2004, 06:41 PM   #1
12-34hom

Small bore scatterguns.

I've decided to purchase another 410 for the upcoming pheasant season here in Iowa.

I've made a couple of contacts via the internet concerning purchasing said shotgun.

What would be you're choice for this type of shotgun, auto, pump, O/U, S/S. bolt. I see Remington has come out with a "sporting model" 1100 with a 27 inch barrel differing system of choke tubes for various applications that interests me.

Thanks for any replies or suggestions.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old September 6, 2004, 07:19 PM   #2
steveno

skip the 410 and get a 28 gauge. the 28 gauge will give you a better shot pattern and a shorter shot string. I have a Remington 870 express in 28 gauge that is a lot of fun to shoot. 410 shells are cheaper but the 28 gauge is still better. Winchester has 1 ounce loads in 4's , 5's or 6's and they will knock the hell out of a pheasant
Old September 6, 2004, 08:10 PM   #3
sm

12-34hom,

Sounds as if you have some experience with the .410 and know your loadings. I like the 1100 a lot, proven so this new offering should be fine.

You ever find a Model 42 Winchester - buy it. Ditto for a Stevens 311 SxS.

I used a Citori 3 bbl set to compete. Getting into the little critters ( 28ga and .410) this is a great O/U to hunt with.

I don't know if you have a preference for a platform ,I just presented one of each. Get the whole set I say.

I have to admit, the 28 ga is "better than it is suposed to be". My best scores were in the 28 ga event.

Dang it though....that .410 when used at the range and with proper loads, fun, and yes it'll work. [ Back in the old days, many a duck fell to a .410 , and 28 ga. Couple of special invites where the largest bore allowed was the 28 ....one was .410 only.]

We expect a Report on what you decide.
Old September 6, 2004, 08:34 PM   #4
gordo b.

Get a good used Citori .410, they tend not to be used much like 12ga guns! There is an older fixed choke on on Gunbroker for $800 that looks new. The newer Citoris are $1200 up. I paid $900 for my NIB 'old 73' Skeet .410
Old September 6, 2004, 10:06 PM   #5
Casp_A

Interesting suggestion: Winchester/USRAC Model 9410 lever-action. Basically a Model 94 in .410.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodin...y.asp?cat=006C
Old September 6, 2004, 11:12 PM   #6
jefnvk

How about one of these?
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firear...hotgun/410.htm

Might be a bit fun
Old September 7, 2004, 03:05 AM   #7
K80Geoff

Ditch the "Idiot stick" and get a 28. Remington makes it in both the 870 and 1100, ruger has a nice O/U and Beretta has the 686 O/U. Baikal has imported SXS and O/U guns that are relatively inexpensive. Saw a SXS in Gander Mountain for $400!

28 throws better patterns and less likely to cripple birds. Ammo is about the same price as 410 for comparable loadings and can be had in non toxic shot.

28 is much easier to reload.
Old September 7, 2004, 04:52 AM   #8
kudu

If you are set on a .410 over a 28ga, remember that most autos will only shoot 2.5" shells, so will the new lever shotguns "marlin, winchester". Find a platform that will give you some payload. Like the others a 28 would be better for pheasant, unless you keep all your shots in very close range.
Old September 7, 2004, 02:20 PM   #9
Clemson

I would love to have a Model 42, but until I win the lottery I'll have to settle for my .410 Wingmaster. I bought this gun 3-4 years ago, and it has been my "fun gun" ever since. I dove hunted with it yesterday. If you know the gun's (and your) limitations, you can do fine with the .410. I do use the 3" shells for hunting, but I shoot 2 1/2 inch shells at all the target games. The last time I took it to a Sporting Clays range, I shot 76/100. That is not too far off my usual score with a 20 gauge. My best score on the skeet field has been a 23. My gun has a fixed, modified choke. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Yes, a 28 throws more shot into a better pattern. No, it ain't quite as much fun.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old September 7, 2004, 09:25 PM   #10
12-34hom

410 vs. 28 guage shotguns.

Thanks for all the replies thus far, I've always liked & shot 410 guage shotguns for over 40 years of hunting pheasant - quail - rabbits.

My dad's choice for wing shooting was the 28 guage, i witnessed him pull a triple on three roosters that made the mistake of getting up before him with a Remington model 1100 28 guage...

But I've had a few memorable moments behind a 410 myself and have found it more than adequate for pheasants [in particular] out to 35 yards. One of the guns i really kick myself for selling was a Remington 870 410 "lightweight" that i traded for a 45 that i "thought" i needed...

As it stands right now, i am looking at a NIB Remington 1100 for 600.00$. The only downside is the barrel is choked modified, i prefer a full choke on my 410's. I looked at the Citori on Gunbroker, and that also is very nice.. I had my hands on a Weatherby Athena 410 O/U at a gun show here a while back, but the price was out of my leage...

Pheasant season opens the last weekend in October, so i still have awhile to decide.

Thanks for all the input from the members who have replied thus far.

12-34hom.
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old September 7, 2004, 10:28 PM   #11
sm

12-34hom

I Just happen to have ...[tm]

My truck took me to a field with Doves all by itself. I didn't have a gun...I was provided with a "sampling". [ it happens]

Okay - that 1100 Sporting 28 , is sweeet!!!!. Has chokes. IMO they need to do this with a English Stock . Need to do this in a .410 with 3" chambers and English Stock.

Ahh...now the 870 in 28 ga with Chokes is another Sweet gun! The .410 version is very very nice , even with Mod tubes ....I figure tweak / stack loadings.

Shot an older Citori .410. Citori's fit me. I really think finding a used Citori would be great. Something about the .410 in a little critter.

Go to the LLBean and Orvis websites and see what they have....in used guns.
I have to stay away from their....I drool on keyboards...
Old September 8, 2004, 08:47 AM   #12
Clemson

In the "For What It's Worth" category, Mike Orlen will install tubes in a .410 barrel for about $85, and that includes 3 tubes. Let's see.....Skeet, Modified and Full?? I have been considering it for the 870 Wingmaster, but I am doing OK with the modified choke in the factory barrel. Still, it would be nice to have the choices.

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com