The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 6, 2004, 07:48 AM   #1
Apple a Day

Getting drawn in

I think I am getting drawn in.
I just got back from a family vacation out to Wyoming and Kansas. Out in Shoshoni, Wyoming I have an uncle who has a little sporting goods shop - White's Sporting Goods, if you've ever been out that direction. He has all kinds of blackpowder guns/parts, cowboy guns, furs, gear... all sorts of frontier stuff. He even has a stuffed buffalo named Commodore in his dining room. If you're ever at the hot springs or dinosaur museum in Thermopolis, swing through the Big Horn/Windy River canyon south 25 miles and your're in Shoshoni. If you need parts for black powder, he's got it. Just my luck to have an uncle who's an FFL but on the other side of the country.
In Kansas, I ended up in Coffeyville, where the Dalton gang got shot up. There is a museum, which is pretty small and more of a random collection of old junk than anything else but the square is still there and they do a reenactment every October. It certainly gets the imagination going.
Lastly, a friend is taking me shooting in a few days who is really into CAS.
I have to admit that I am taking an interest. Now I just have to convince the Mrs. that this is God's way of telling me to get a new gun.
I am looking at a couple of revolvers, a repro Colt 1851 and a Remington 1858.
Are there any common no-no's I should make sure to avoid?
Old July 6, 2004, 08:48 AM   #2
Any .45

Thank you,
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old July 6, 2004, 05:35 PM   #3
Augustus McCrae

Sounds like you're hooked. Welcome to the Dark side.
Old July 7, 2004, 01:26 AM   #4
faraway

No, no's...not really, but a few...
Minor things... make very sure the ball shaves a ring of lead going into the cylinder. Some repros the cylinder dimensions can be a bit lax, and although a loose ball loads easier, increases the chances of a flash discharge in the chamber. And grease the chamber mouths with something besides Crisco. If firing fast, not uncommon for the Crisco to melt, and run out. In addition to the muck, a problem if a chamber has a loose fitting ball.

The Colt's, many people don't grease the arbor. The grooves on the arbor are made to carry
the grease, and so keep it running longer when it's fouled. And watch the wedges, and keep a spare. Very rare happening, but they can sometimes slip away with heavy loads (more a Dragoon concern that a Navy).

If using Nitrated or light paper cartridges, especially on Navy (which takes a light load), make very sure no little bits of embered paper stay in the chambers.

On the Remington's, keep watch on the fouling. Due to the smaller cylinder arbor, and enclosed frame, these foul easier. I've seen a few cases where the thing has been fouled so badly, that the cylinder pin has had to be taken out with a mallet. Also the loading lever on a Remington doesn't have as much leverage as a Colt, so don't push it too hard.

Extra cylinders, don't cap them, or get some heavy leather cases.
Old July 7, 2004, 07:27 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Avoid brass frame repros. Brass stretches after a while. If I had to get a working repro cap-lock, I'd go Uberti.
Old July 8, 2004, 04:56 PM   #6
Apple a Day

Thanks for the advice, all.