The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Lone Star

Browning BPS Pump Opinions

Over on The High Road, Dave McCracken told me that the few people he sees with Browning BPS pump guns seem to like them. Most are hunters, as clay shooters don't like the bottom loading and ejection. The same has always limited the use of the Ithaca M37 in clays events. (Also, the light M37 Ithaca probably kicks too much for extended target shoots.)

So: Does anyone here have a BPS made in recent years, say since maybe 1985? Seems the early one I owned worked a little more stiffly than other pumps, but I found a good used one in 20 ga. that seems smooth enough.

BPS owners, come forth! Do you like your guns? Why or why not?

Thanks,

Lone Star
Old May 18, 2004, 09:16 PM   #2
JHG

I have 2 BPS' and I love them both... would not trade them for a truckload of new 870's.

I like the safety position, bottom ejection, balance, they aim naturally for me and the weight (although heavier than some) seems to obsorb recoil.

-JHG-

Last edited by JHG; May 18, 2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old May 19, 2004, 04:10 AM   #3
Hal

I have a used BPS 20ga.
Nice gun for the reasons already given (tang safety - bottom eject).
Only drawback is that compared to my 870, it seems kind of loose - ie: it rattles.
Old May 19, 2004, 06:17 AM   #4
ruger357

I have owned a couple of BPS's. Very nice shotgun, but I prefer the 870.
Old June 21, 2004, 11:45 PM   #5
Incenter12

My dad bought me a 20ga. BPS right after I passed hunters safety. I carry it in the field and shot trap with it until I got too big and graduated up to either an old BT100 or Rem3200. I really like the feel of it and the bottom ejection was key since I'm a lefty.

BTW - my first post here.

Cheers,
Old June 21, 2004, 11:55 PM   #6
gordo b.

Have a BPS 10ga . and it is very robust and reliable. Any time I have to use steel shot, thats what I go for! I have an Old Ithaca 20 gauge model 37 that is very sweet also. The best is the Model 31LW 20ga Remington that was produced until 1950. It is like greased lightning and has the "alive "feel. It is even better than my 28gauge 870 ! I have shot a few boxes out of a 20gauge BPS, and while good, it is not as slick as an old (pre 90's) Wingmaster 870!
Old June 22, 2004, 03:00 PM   #7
grey_pilgrim

I had a 20 guage youth model for 6 years before I moved up to my 11-87.

Great gun. Never had a problem with firing. I found the wood version much more ergonomic than the synthetic, and the tang safety was easy to use when getting on target.

Other advantage is that it is ambidextrous, so anyone can easily use it. In addition, it ejects the cartridges straight down, so you don't have to look for them.

One disadvantage (as you mentioned) that I ought to mention is that since the gun does not eject out to the side, you cannot have the slide racked half way, load a cartridge, throw it forward and fire. You have to insert a cartridge in the bottom, fully pump the slide, and fire. This might make for some problems if total sustained (read: more than 5 shots required) fire was a problem.
OTOH, the ithaca model 37, which is basically the same thing, did well for our boys in WW2. And i'm not a combat instructor, by any means. just a lowly hunter.

I liked mine, i'm jsut sad I outgrew it. (And slightly sad that i didn't get the full size version)
Hope this helps.
Old June 23, 2004, 01:13 PM   #8
Clemson

Let me make a minor point: The Ithaca Model 37 is decidedly not the same gun as the BPS. The only similarity is that they load and eject through the bottom. The internals are totally different. The Ithacas are light and responsive. One of the knocks on the BPS is that they tend to be very heavy for their gauge. That can be an advantage on targets or a disadvantage in the field. Take your pick......

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old July 3, 2004, 11:28 PM   #9
rc

Youth bps

I bought a cute little youth/ladies bps a few years ago but have not shot it much. Reliability has been perfect for the several hundred rounds fired but the checkering on the forarm is uncomfortably sharp when I rack the slide. The gun is heavier than a comparable mossberg due to all steel receiver and swing is a bit abrupt with the short 22" barrel. It's a nice durable gun that I will shoot more in the future but currently I am considering the new CZ 720 auto with a 26" barrel for extended skeet/trap shooting. The bps is a fine shotgun but does tend to have a sharp kick, even in 20 guage. My wife hated shooting it. I have been more comfortable shooting low base 12 guage autos and heavy 12 guage pumps. rc
Old August 7, 2004, 07:59 PM   #10
Dobe

I have BPS in 12, and I like the solid steel receiver and the bottom ejection. Mine is a smooth action.

It'll whip a fit on doves.

Dobe
Old August 7, 2004, 09:02 PM   #11
Hotbarrel

I shot a friend's BPS and found it too long (or me too short). I was gripping the back of the forend where my reach was most comfortable. I went with an Ithaca instead. It's all a matter of preference. A BPS will never let you down. No well-made shotgun should.

NOTE: A bottom-eject is a poor choice for the clays range, as I found with my Model 37. These guns are not made to be loaded upside down, and your squad-mates will get the willies seeing you stuff one into the tube and rack it back.
Old August 7, 2004, 10:24 PM   #12
Clemson

I don't see the problem. Load two in the magazine and pump the gun to load the chamber. How simple is that?

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old August 8, 2004, 11:34 AM   #13
Hotbarrel

Sorry, I should have specified that the TRAP range is not the ideal place for a bottom-eject. For multishot targets (5-Stand, Wobbles, Doubles & SC) there's no problem, but on a single-shot sport like traps, the regulars object to loading in the mag tube, and more than once recommended that I flip the gun over, drop the shell on the fork and rack it in. I switched to an O/U and autoloader for traps, which I've carried over to my other clay shooting. It was a good move, since the Ithaca pounds the heck out of your shoulder after a few shells. The BPSs I've fired were heavier and imparted less felt recoil.