The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 16, 2009, 01:42 AM   #1
safe cracker

Originla uzi 9 mm...?

ok lets try this again. sorry about the lack of info. on my previous post. i didnt mean to sound suspicious. i dont have the knowledgeable of my guns our this site like alot of you, i am a rookie you know...lol...but if you need to break in a safe or change ur combo im ur man...lol, ok all that said heres my problem, i have a uzi 9 mm with no american import markings, what i dont know is how did it get here in the US with out import marking's and did this gun come as a smg, this is a semi auto gun , did someone change it or did some come this way. it looks like someone put something over the auto fireing mark and the button wont go to that position i dont have a class 3 license, and it just shoots semi, so i should be good to go yes...is there any trouble i can get into with this gun. if theres any thing i over looked or any info. i can get on this would be gratefully appreciated...thanks

Last edited by safe cracker; May 31, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old May 16, 2009, 02:59 AM   #2
LordofWar

Wts with the extra long barrel on this. Looks like an UZI injection.
Old May 16, 2009, 03:17 AM   #3
safe cracker

Hmmm i dont know...thats what came with it...its ribgt at 9.1-4
Old May 16, 2009, 06:13 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

I would guess that you have a gun that someone built from a parts kit. Are there weld marks inside the receiver?

Check out www.uzitalk.com/forums/ If there is something you want to know about Uzis that is the site to ask on. (Be warned, those guys will want to see pics)

@ LordofWar His barrel is long because of American laws regarding rifle length. If it has a stock, it must have at least 16 inch barrel. The semi Uzi carbine has several inches of the barrel inside the receiver.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:31 PM   #5
David Hineline

If your gun fires from the open bolt, or if the semi auto receiving blocking bar is not installed nor ever was installed then your gun is illegal machinegun.

Post a pickture of the ejection port side of the bolt and the ejection port side inside the receiver behind the ejection port.

The only way that receiver would be legal I would guess is someone bought a SMG parts kit, and welded in a replacement section of receiver and built it into a semi auto gun. If they built a semi auto gun on a machinegun receiver that was never cut up and destroyed then the gun is illegal.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:15 PM   #6
safe cracker

UZI

thanks men this gun fires from a closed bolt, and shoots semi auto. i havent had it apart so i dont know about any welded parts, guess i need to do some homework...

Old May 17, 2009, 10:33 PM   #7
David Hineline

Ok so you pictured the proper slotted bolt, assuming that your bolt has a separate striker/firing pin separate from the bolt you have a proper semi auto bolt configuration.

Now see that slot cut across the ejection port side of the bolt. The full auto bolt does not have that slot. So on the ejection port side of the receiver behind the ejection port there should be a corresponding welded in protrusion that lines up with that slot in the bolt. That is the full auto blocking bar that keeps a non slotted machinegun bolt from being dropped in to the receiver.\

If all is as discussed, I think you just have a gun that someone built up from a receiver blank or a smg demilled kit.\

Looks proper to me.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:50 PM   #8
safe cracker

hi David, thanks so much for ur help, i pulled the top off my gun and as you can see, theres no protrusion that lines up with the slot in the bolt. So this gun is illegal how it is...?... if i weld in a piece of stock rod about the size of a pencil i should be good to go...? and i can dig it up out of the back yard...lol...also is there any outher way to tell if it was built out of parts, or if it was a smg...thanks again, if i can help you with any safe or lock question's, will be glad to.

Old May 21, 2009, 12:32 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

What a fuss about nothing. Those guns were made as semi-autos and imported for some years. They came with either the folding or the solid wood stocks. The 16" barrel makes it a legal carbine under federal law. (They also came with a dummy solid aluminum short "barrel" for those who wanted the "cool" look of the SMG.)

They fire from a closed bolt and the entire mechanism has been reworked to do that. They can be converted to fire FA and to accept UZI SMG parts, but only with a lot of very obvious work. When it was still legal to manufacture machineguns for sale to the public, quite a few were converted that way, but those have the marking of the US manufacturer and the normal SMG selector switch.

Since the gun is obviously an UZI carbine, not a sub gun, there is no legal problem at the federal level, but it may fall under a state or local "assault weapon" law.

Jim
Old May 21, 2009, 12:47 AM   #10
safe cracker

well OK then...lol...i just havent seen any with out US import markings....guess there every where. i'll stop talking about it now...thanks.
Old May 22, 2009, 01:12 AM   #11
David Hineline

I disagree with Jim, receivers assembled without the blocking bar are not going to pass ATF muster, the imported semi autos had this, proof being that his semi auto bolt and even his buffer is slotted to clear this non exsistant bar.

The gun pictured has a welded up 3 position trigger housing with the SMG sized push pin, which the semi autos did not. Clipping on a 3 position trigger grip and full auto bolt and spring and that gun will shoot full auto.

The guys over on http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/p...eivermarks.htm
would be the experts, but I would not touch that gun with a stick.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:18 AM   #12
Brenden

I agree also-should have the blocking bar..
JPFO
Old May 27, 2009, 08:09 AM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Correct me if I'm wrong, but

didn't the Model A Uzis fire from an open bolt and thus the reworked Model B Uzis?
Old May 27, 2009, 10:29 AM   #14
safe cracker

so can i put in a blocking bar my self...and be good to go...?
Old May 27, 2009, 07:12 PM   #15
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but
didn't the Model A Uzis fire from an open bolt and thus the reworked Model B Uzis?
Corrected. For the Uzi carbine model A to be imported the ATF ruled that it must not fire from the open bolt position, the bolt face may not have a lip on the bottom, it must have the blocking bar in the receiver, and and a barrel restriction ring installed at the feed ramp to prevent the use of SMG barrels. The model A semi-auto carbine fired from a closed bolt. The Mod B changes were mostly (slightly) improved sights and a firing pin safety.

There were never any open bolt semi-auto Uzis imported.

As far as I know all of the FA IMI Uzis imported are in model A configuration.

@ safe cracker: You should have had a blocking bar welded into that gun yesterday (you have already posted in a public forum that you are in possession of what the ATF considers a 'machine gun' because no blocking bar = machine gun)... Or get out the torch and cut that receiver into three pieces. (torch cut receiver = scrap metal = not machine gun)

Good luck to you sir.
Old May 28, 2009, 12:48 AM   #16
safe cracker

ok how you like me now,...lol...ijk, i got me a blocking bar, she looks good to me, what do you think do i pass. btw i dont own a torch you call home and ask my wife realy though guys i want to thank every one for there help. and let me know what you think now plz...