The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 17, 2002, 08:42 PM   #1
stinger

Durn Rookies

I went pheasant hunting this weekend! My brother came down from Colorado with a buddy of his, and we all went out with my Dad.

Anyways, we only got 2 birds, but what a blast. Guess who shot both pheasants? My brother's buddy had never been hunting before, and had never even shot a long gun. He used my Dad's ol' Mossy.

After some safety and operation instruction we headed out. We saw several roosters (8-10) but most were flying WAY out of range. Tons of hens, though.

The rookie got both birds. He was just in the right place at the right time, I guess. I got a shot off on both birds, but I was just off, I guess. He nailed both of them on one shot. Not bad.

We all had a great time, and plan on making it an annual event. The rookie took the tail feathers home to his two sons, and we scarfed the birds down with a Sunday roast, thanks, Mom! I had to clean them, she just wouldn't touch them, but boy was it good eating.

I just wanted to brag. Thanks for listening.

Stinger

ps
I went with two guns, and came home with 5. I think that may be better than actually getting a bird. No, I know it is
Old December 17, 2002, 10:05 PM   #2
CD1

He bagged 2 birds, you bagged 3 guns...not bad. It's always fun to help someone get their first bird/deer etc.
Old December 18, 2002, 02:13 PM   #3
yorec

When I saw the title, I immediately planned on making some crack about us all having been beginners like that once... Can't do it. I don't think I his anything with my shotgun the entire first year out.

Sounds like you had fun - keep him going!
Old December 19, 2002, 10:57 PM   #4
BIGR

Yea begginers luck. I know alot of hunters that got a huge buck on their first deer hunt. More power to them.
Old February 13, 2005, 09:24 PM   #5
Jseime

thats me

i hate to brag but i had some beginners luck and bagged my first white tail this year (previously all mulies) and it just so happened that he was a 5 point buck (or 10 depending on how you count em) i like to tell myself that it was all skill that brought him down in front of my rifle but that would be a lie it was purely luck
Old February 21, 2005, 11:41 AM   #6
pittspilot

Don't you just hate it when rookies do it with fishing?

I have rook's nail some of the biggest fish I have ever seen.

Winston S. Churchill

"The American Republic is finished when the Congress realizes that it can bribe the people with the peoples money"

De Touqueville