The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 8, 2002, 01:29 AM   #1
Knife_sniper

HI POINT PISTOLS... Whats the deal??

Has anyone had experience with any hi point pistols? My father and I went together to a local gun show and he noticed them, he always wanted a 45 for the house... What made us both scratch our heads was the price of the hi point pistols, they started at $120!! They looked fine, kinda klunky... no rattling parts.... fit and finish seemed fine too (it was all average IMO) The next step up in price were the models with lasers and muzzle breaks, starting at $220 buckaroos.

I have read good things about hi point carbines in 9mm, how about their pistols? The $120 price tag screams 'you get what you pay for" ... or is this gun just an good ol'e bargain?

It would be used at the house "just in case" (by all means, if my dad was faced with a defensive situation he wouldnt grab the loaded hi point... he would grab the 12 guage) and for some plinking fun at the ranch.

Anyone have first hand experience with this brand of pistol? Ever shot it? Durability?

Thanks
Old December 8, 2002, 01:45 AM   #2
hansolo

Hi-Point

Howdy!

I have fired the compact 9mm w/o the laser or brake. A Gunshop near me sells them like crazy! The shop owner says none have come back with any malfunctions or breakages!! The brand is promoted as an affordable working-person's gun...a few "gunsnobs" call them garbage, but I've talked with a few owners and not one of them regrets the purchase. I would say that anyone with any experience would realize it ain't a Colt or a S&W, but, at $100-$200 they offer a real value. I enjoyed firing the 9mm compact. I did a few double taps and it did pretty well at rapid fire...My opinion, I could be wrong

Regards,

Steve
Old December 8, 2002, 02:02 AM   #3
Knife_sniper

Thanks, we overheard the dealer saying they had never had them come back for repair to another customer... of course it is a dealer trying to sell the gun. I have read up on their carbine, and it has gotten positive reviews, so I guess it may be a safe purchase for the pistol as well. Ill wait and see what opinions the cat brings in! ( I want these hi points to be good, I could go get one (two for that matter) for my dad for christmas!!)

any more word on the quality of the hi point pistols anyone??

BTW thanks, your opinion is much appreciated!
Old December 8, 2002, 02:07 AM   #4
tonyulichnie

Well

I own the 9mm comp and the .40 and they were also my carry guns for awhile until I purchased my Rugers.
Both Hi-Points have been very good to me and they come with a life time warranty and the warranty still is good for used if you get a chance at one.
I have well over 10,000 rounds in both and they are doing fine.
Tony
Old December 8, 2002, 02:22 AM   #5
CZ75daddy0405

I have a Hi-Point pistol 40cal I use it as a plinker not a carry. I havent had any problems with mine. I think that some one else posted about the Hi Point and stated 10,000 rds and still going strong. Now if I can get that out of my new CZ Ill be danged happy.=-)
Old December 8, 2002, 06:00 AM   #6
PsychoSword

Hmm, a 9mm Hi-Point carbine....the same gun that those two cherry boys used to shoot up Columbine High School....

Anyways....I just can't fathom buying a Hi-Point pistol when there are so many better options out there. Hellllll, for that price you could buy a new Makarov or an excellent condition S&W Model 10. Why buy a Hi-Point!?!!?!!? I just can't fathom purchasing a Hi-Point........ever

I'd read about them and laughed, but the first time I saw one was in a local FFL, I bust out laughing.
Old December 8, 2002, 11:44 AM   #7
Archer1440

Quote:
Hmm, a 9mm Hi-Point carbine....the same gun that those two cherry boys used to shoot up Columbine High School....

Curious...why do you feel the need to specify which brand or model of weapon was used by these people when they committed their heinous act ?

If someone uses, say, a Poulan rather than a Husquvarna in a series of chainsaw murders, is that relevant too ??

Kind of like demonizing Bushmaster for the heinous acts of those two subhuman sociopaths this past fall... sorry, alleged sociopaths.
Old December 8, 2002, 12:59 PM   #8
Knife_sniper

Thanks guys, you all seem to have positive experiences with the guns, and this is the gunshows last day so im gonna draw out $100 and get one for my dad in 40. S&W
Old December 8, 2002, 01:28 PM   #9
hksigwalther

Hmm, AR...the same gun those two DC snipers used.

Always willing to give any product a try to see how well they work first hand, particularly low cost ones, I decided to get a Hi-Point. (Been wanting the get one for a couple years to try out but posts here of people either totally hating them or loving them prodded me to finally do it.) The 9mm comped no laser. No failures for about 400 rounds now. After you've been around the block a few times, you'll find out that looks ain't everything.
Old December 8, 2002, 01:35 PM   #10
guy sajer

As stated earlier , you will always encounter the gunsnob guys . It's too be expected whenever testosterone and egos collide .

I also am at a loss for words by the Columbine remark . Where did that come from ?

We sell roughly 250 Hi Points out of the approximately 7,000 total guns we sell in a years time . Being the buyer for our store as well as the guy that handles most warranty gun situations , I don't buy/sell guns that we have problems with . I don't have time . We sent around 3 or 4 Hi Points back for service in 2002 . All were turned around in 2-3 weeks . Also , the customer was given a free magazine for his inconvenience .

The ultimate service story we experienced where a manufacturer went over and above was handled by Hi Point .

A customer brought in a Compact 9 to sell us . That's not unusual . However , he had taken roughly a 1/4" drill and drilled holes around the front strap , back strap and trigger guard .... I wanted to but I didn't ask .

We buy the gun cheap and I decide to send it back to Hi Point for a new frame . The gun comes back in a couple weeks with a new frame . No Charge .... Oh yeh , they threw in a free magazine .

We sell used S&W model 10's and Makarovs . Both good guns . I guess a lot of people want a new gun with a "real" lifetime warranty !

Mitch

www.oldeenglishoutfitters.com
Old December 8, 2002, 04:47 PM   #11
Jason Demond

I seem to recall the two killers from Columbine used a Tec-9, not a Hi Point.
Old December 8, 2002, 04:52 PM   #12
guy sajer

Sorry , it was an illegally purchased Hi Point 995 Carbine . The sales manager for HP lives close to our store . We spoke about it after the murders .
Old December 8, 2002, 04:59 PM   #13
Jason Demond

I guess they could have had a Hi Point Carbine also. I only remembered the Tec-9 and some break open shot gun. CNN says there were others FWIW.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9905/03/school.shooting.05/
Old December 8, 2002, 05:19 PM   #14
seeker_two

Quote:
Posted by Psychosword:
Hmm, a Chevrolet Impala...the same car that those two cherry boys used to shoot up Maryland & Virginia...

Hmm, a copy of the Bible...the same Bible that those cherry boys used when they shot up those ATF agents in Waco...

See where this could head...
Old December 8, 2002, 06:05 PM   #15
PsychoSword

Quote:
I also am at a loss for words by the Columbine remark . Where did that come from ?
Just trying to make the point in a dark humorish type of way that they actually do work....I realize it was in bad taste so...never mind.
Old December 8, 2002, 06:43 PM   #16
PsychoSword

I don't believe that gun snobs are people who won't buy a piece of junk Hi-Point, I believe that gun snobs are people who won't look at a non-Belgian Hi-Power or a non-Italian Beretta 92. To me, that's a gun snob. People who won't buy a Hi-Point just have common sense

Last edited by PsychoSword; December 8, 2002 at 10:30 PM.
Old December 8, 2002, 07:03 PM   #17
gryphon

Hi-Points are very underrated in my pinion. You'll get a lot of people that bash them. Of course, most have never shot one.

I have the C-9 pistols and the 995 carbine. Both are accurate enough and the no questions asked, doesn't matter who bought it warranty is hard to beat.
Old December 8, 2002, 08:37 PM   #18
PsychoSword

If they're so wonderful, why do people bash them, but don't bash Makarovs?
Old December 8, 2002, 08:41 PM   #19
mikemck

Why is it that the people who actually own them have very good things to say about them, and people that don't own them and have never shot one complain about them?

There is obviously a pattern here...
Old December 8, 2002, 08:51 PM   #20
PsychoSword

I dont' know, maybe people who bought them don't want to admit to themselves that they bought a piece of junk?
Old December 8, 2002, 09:17 PM   #21
Knife_sniper

hey Psychosword, your not adding a single positive thing to this post by arguing. Most people who posted have had experience with the pistol.
Old December 8, 2002, 09:42 PM   #22
.45FMJoe

Picture of the dead kids and their guns...

WARNING...very bloody and graphic.

amazing what you can find on the internet. BTW, this picture was in one of those newstand tabliods. Star or some crap like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg columbine2.jpg (30.6 KB, 4507 views)
Old December 8, 2002, 09:47 PM   #23
.45FMJoe

oh and at the local gun show today my friend bought one in .380 for $90. He said he wanted a semi-auto for like $100-200. He wants it for a little fun plinking at the range and maybe to have in the glovebox and his apartment. He's not a gun nut, and just wanted a little something. It fit his budget perfectly and I read an article in one of the gun rags this month about them testing one and being quite happy with it. We'll know on Thursday when we can pick it up and try it out.
Old December 8, 2002, 09:56 PM   #24
TreeSquid

Psychosword

Just out of curiousity, how much firsthand experience have you had with Hi-Points?
Old December 8, 2002, 10:01 PM   #25
Pheoinx

I had a few hundred extra bucks a few months back and intentionally went to the gun shop to buy a Hi Point to see for myself. To my suprise the compact 9's were on sale for $95. I have only put about 3-400 rounds through it of the cheapest ammo I could find and have not had a single problem with it.
Closed Thread