The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 7, 2002, 01:18 AM   #1
Mark IV Series 80

The Best of the .32 ACP Pocket Pistols

For Christmas, I want to give my wife an autoloading pistol in .32 ACP.

She likes the Beretta Jetfire in .25 ACP, but I would like her to have a bit more power.

The guns (that I know of), are the Beretta Tomcat, The Kel-Tek P-32, and the Seecamp.

Are there any other quality .32 ACP pocket pistols?

Which are the best and most reliable?
Old December 7, 2002, 01:56 AM   #2
teombe

NAA Guardian
Old December 7, 2002, 02:57 AM   #3
tomkatz

most reliable=seecamp......tom
Old December 7, 2002, 05:28 AM   #4
LF&Co. MG

I have had an NAA Guardian and it was a good weapon. It is my understanding that the early ones "AA" serials were not equipped with the better Wolf springs. My father in law owns a Keltec and likes it. I now own a Seecamp. At this point I have fired exactly 150 rounds through it (Silvertips are expensive). I have yet to have any jams. I carry it in an Aker wallet holster. Besides being well built, reliable, and good looking, it has that novelty aura surrounding it. If price isn't a consideration, I would go Seecamp, you can always recoup your investment if you need to.
Old December 7, 2002, 08:00 AM   #5
XavierBreath

I carry a KelTec P-32. It is not the pistol for everyone. It needs some out of the box polishing and lubing to become reliable. Apparently some never become reliable, but some owners never clean and lube their weapons either. For $250, you are buying design, not fit and finish. You have to accept that. The benefit is that after I fluffed and buffed my new Kel tec, I moved on to my other pistols, and now they all work smoother! That alone was worth the money, plus I got a great little pistol.

I've never had to use them, (except to order a metal recoil rod and belt clip) but everything I hear is that customer service is fantastic.

You can learn more about the P-32 here. http://www.ktog.org/vbulletin/

You may want to look at bumping up the caliber to a .380, The P-32 has one deficiency. Caliber. While it is arguable that good shooting will make up for that, it doesn't eliminate it.

A woman has more carry options than a man. A .380 is generally considered the minimum for self defense. Look at the PPK/S or take a look at the Kahrs in 9mm or .40S&W. All are great pistols out of the box, and easy for a woman to carry.
Old December 7, 2002, 08:40 AM   #6
solo

I bought a Kel-Tec P-32 and love it. I did however have to send it back to the factory due to a bad firing pin. Kel-Tec replaced it and it now shoots every round perfect. Aside from the first initial disheartment of having to send it back, I really love this little pistol.

In addition the pocket clip accessory allows you to carry without a holster which in my opinion is an added benifit.
Old December 7, 2002, 08:48 AM   #7
Tropical Z

Women LOVE the Kel-Tec.I haven't shot mine yet,but supposedly the new ones (serial #'s 60,000 and up) don't need the fluff and buff.Mines an 82,XXX and i just got it from CDNN.
Old December 7, 2002, 08:55 AM   #8
JMax

Get her a Kel-Tec P32. I bought one for my wife and she loves it. She likes to shoot this gun and can strip and clean it by herself. When out of the house she always has it with her.

JMax
Old December 7, 2002, 08:57 AM   #9
marca

The NAA Guardian 32 is a very solid and reliable gun. It's a bit on the heavy side compared to a Kel-Tek, but I've found the NAA to be more reliable than the P-32s that I've owned. The NAA is durable and will hold up to a lot of practice shooting. I can't say I've had the same luck with the P-32 (but again, they're 2 very different types of guns). NAA customer service is excellent with quick turnaround. To me that's an important consideration.

I recently had a stainless steel Tomcat that worked VERY well but used it in trade toward a Guardian 32. I didn't have great luck with earlier models of the Tomcat. It's a cool looking gun, but very wide compared to the Guardian and P-32.
Old December 7, 2002, 10:02 AM   #10
MikeJ

I have the KelTec P32 and the NAA Guardian .32. The KelTec is one of the earlier models and I had to send it back because it wouldn't always go in to full battery after the first shot. Since then it has been fine. The NAA has been totally reliable with any ammo I have put through it and I prefer it over the KelTec. I like the feel and look of it better and may wind up getting the NAA .380 at some point.
Old December 7, 2002, 11:37 AM   #11
spleenandideal

My ex couldn't work the slide effectively on the NAA Guardian. She did like the KelTec much better. My current girlfriend also finds the KelTec P32 easier to hold, manipulate, and fire. Problem with training with women and the NAA is the trigger-slap. Hurts after a while, and the flinching starts.
Old December 7, 2002, 11:39 AM   #12
BamBam

I believe thet the newer P-32s (SN 90,000+) have less problems than the older units. I have an older one that runs perfectly but had to go back to the factory to get that way. Over 700 rounds so far with no trouble.

The Jetfire is a fine pistol (I have one) but can be confusing to operate under stress.

The P-32 is ultra-simple.
Old December 8, 2002, 01:31 AM   #13
Mark IV Series 80

Quote:
You may want to look at bumping up the caliber to a .380, The P-32 has one deficiency. Caliber.
I've heard that the .32 ACP and the .380 ACP are about equal in "stopping-power".
Old December 8, 2002, 02:36 AM   #14
MikeJ

Quote:
"I've heard that the .32 acp and the .380 acp are about equal in stopping power"
I've read this too in Evan Marshall's work. According to his one shot stop projections the .32 is about 62% and the .380 is about 68%, depending on particular round. I'm not sure how other theories rank these in comparison to each other. This is a very controversial topic with regard to his statistics and methodology so I won't get into that. Although I carry a Guardian .32 I know I would feel more comfortable with the .380, it just seems that the .380 offers more when it comes to bullet size and energy. I don't know how the .380 hollowpoints compare to .32 hollowpoints in terms of reliable expansion. Regards, Mike
Old December 8, 2002, 03:08 AM   #15
Blackhawk

By the SHOT Show in February, Rohrbaugh expects to have 5,000 R-9s ready for delivery. They're the size of the P-32, the weight of the P-11 (14 ounces) and fire 9mm. Take a look at www.rohrbaughfirearms.com They're "pretty" in stainless and aluminum plus there are a bunch of fancy grips going to be available for them.

Like the P-32, the Rohrbaugh is a locked breech pistol, whereas most other pocket pistols, including PPKs, are blowback.

They're not going to be cheap ($600-$800), but maybe a promise and giving her a chance to try out the candidates is a better idea anyway. IMO, chances are zero that she'll like a PPK because she probably won't be able to rack the slide or have the hand strength to even pull the DA trigger.

Picking a gun for somebody is like picking out clothes for them....

For example, either one or both of the NAA and Seecamp pistols don't have a slide lock. It depends on the slide jamming on the last casing to let you know it's empty. That's sure neat....

That would be a real bummer for me because to like a gun, I've got to admire its design, and I don't admire blowback designs without all their fingers and toes....
Old December 8, 2002, 03:15 AM   #16
Mark IV Series 80

.32 ACP
Manu. Brand Type Grains fps fpe Shoot. Success
Win Silvertip JHP 60 970 125 83 63%
Win N/A FMJ 71 905 129 123 50%
Magsafe Defender JPF 50 1250 174 57% *
Glaser Safety Slug JPF 50 1065 126 46% *

.380 ACP (9mmK)
Manu. Brand Type Grains fps fpe Shoot. Success
Cor-Bon N/A +P JHP 90 1050 220 20 70%
Federal Hydra-Shok JHP 90 1000 200 58 69%
Federal N/A JHP 90 1000 200 109 69%
Win Silvertip JHP 85 1000 189 82 61%
CCI N/A JHP 88 1000 196 57 58%
Rem N/A (old ver) JHP 88 990 192 51 57%
Hornady XTP JHP 90 1000 200 26 54%
Federal N/A FMJ 95 955 193 109 51%
Magsafe Maximum +P+ JPF 52 1720 342 81%*
Glaser Blue JPF 70 1350 283 75% *
Glaser Silver JPF 70 1295 261 73% *
Magsafe Defender JPF 60 1340 239 71% *
Magsafe Fast Hardball JPF 55 1500 275 71% *
CCI Gold Dot JPF 90 1030 212 67% *
Triton N/A +P JHP 90 1000 200 65% *
Rem Golden Saber JHP 102 925 194 64% *
Rem N/A (new ver) JHP 88 990 192 64% *
Eld Starfire JHP 95 925 181 62% *
Old December 8, 2002, 06:12 AM   #17
PsychoSword

Supposedly Seecamp is coming out with a .380 that is the same size as their .32.
Old December 8, 2002, 09:02 AM   #18
juliet charley

Get her what she wants--she will be happier (and so will you).
Old December 8, 2002, 10:44 AM   #19
donglock26

I bought a Kel-tec P-32 and it has been flawless. I like it so much I'm going to get a Kel-tec Sub2000 9mm carbine someday.
Old December 8, 2002, 11:22 AM   #20
Alex Johnson

The P-32's are neat guns, they only have one flaw, almost everybody I've heard from ends up sending them back to the factory or doing home gunsmithing to get them to work like they should in the first place. I'm not exactly sure what Kel-tec does to keep this strong customer allegiance, but there are a lot of companies that should look into it. I on the other hand didn't feel like joining that crowd, so I bought a Guardian since they have few reported problems. I am also of the opinion that you should get your wife whatever she is comfortable with, give her the hard facts about whatever gun type she is interested in and than stay out of it. Even though I like the 32's as pocket pistols there is more than a little truth to the fact that woman have some advantages to concealed carry, at least until men start walking around in public with purses and don't get any strange looks, a purse can hold a pretty formidble arsenal and furthermore woman are seldom without there purses so they can always be armed.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old December 8, 2002, 12:01 PM   #21
Inspector Callahan

The only .32 automatic pocket pistol I have any experience with the the Beretta Tomcat. Stone reliable feeding along with being surprisingly accurate and quite comfortable to shoot. I only have two complaints with the design. First off, the slide does not lock back on an empty mag. I know, I know.... Who needs that feature on a last-ditch pocket gun? Well, I think it should BE a feature, but that's just me. I don't think the Tomcat is the only one guilty of this. In fact, do any mouse guns lock back on an empty mag? If not, they should.

The other complaint is actually a bit more serious (but fixable with a file and some elbow grease). The magazine button is very easily pushed while in the pocket. Many times I've noticed the mag hanging out of the pistol a half inch or so. Not good. I plan to file the button down a little then use Brownells spray-and-bake teflon to finish it when I'm done.

Otherwise, I really think the Beretta is the best of the mouseguns.
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old December 8, 2002, 12:14 PM   #22
Blackhawk

Quote:
The only .32 automatic pocket pistol I have any experience with the the Beretta Tomcat. . . .

In fact, do any mouse guns lock back on an empty mag? If not, they should.
. . .

Otherwise, I really think the Beretta is the best of the mouseguns.
Out of a sample of 1....

The Kel Tec P-32's slide locks back on an empty mag. I'm not sure if any other mouseguns do, and I don't consider PPK sized pistols as being mouseguns.
Old December 9, 2002, 01:17 AM   #23
Lancel

.32 pocket pistols:

Got both Seecamp & Tomcat. Like 'em both. Both are accurate, reliable.

Like the Tomcat for it's SA/DA, thumb safety, eight shots, popup barrel (for when you can't or don't want to pull the slide), and a grip that fits well.

Like the Seecamp for it's slim concealablity, smoothness, and overall quality.

Now I carry a .32 mag snubbie, it fires all the ammo of the above plus a bigger 'un.

If it's going to be a surprise, see if the gunshop will let you trade without loss if she's unhappy with your choice.
Old December 9, 2002, 02:40 AM   #24
denfoote

When my loving wife isn't gallivanting around with my (ex) G26, she sports the Kel-Tek P32 I gave her. It isn't the most accurate or powerful pistol out there, but for distances of across a retail counter, it will suffice!! The goof that tries to rob her will get a facefull of lead surprise!!! It also conceals very well!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old December 9, 2002, 06:34 AM   #25
Sgt127

Having for some reason cornered the market on .32's (I own a Kel-tec, A couple Walthers, a Seecamp and a NAA Guardian) ...Maybe my input is worthwhile. I tried to get my wife to shoot any number of handguns for home defense. She absolutly fell in love with a Walther PP in .32. For carrying around purposes though, she went with the Kel-tec. Here is what I have gathered from her:

Berretta: Too chunky
Guardian: Too heavy
Walther: Too big (This is for both the PPK and PP)
Seecamp: (Thats MINE, wasn't really an option for her, but, I would think it would get the "too heavy" like the Guardian)
Kel-Tec: Weighs nothing, flat, perfect.

The full sized Walthers, PP or PPK, are incredible little shooting machines, superbly accurate, little recoil and little muzzle blast. If carried in a holster, I think they would be great.

She wanted a gun that could clip in the waistband of a pair of pants, drop into a pocket or ride in an ankle holster. Her choice of fashion did not include a purse or a blazer/coat/vest to cover things up. We are a two Kel-tec family. If you get one that works right, they seem to run perfect. Neither of ours have ever burped and they have about 200 rounds apiece through them. Every .32 we have is loaded with SB ball. I wish you luck, hope it helped.