The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old October 7, 2002, 03:10 PM   #1
Drjones

Having unregistered guns in CA?

What are the consequences and implications of owning/getting caught with an unregistered handgun in CA?
Old October 7, 2002, 03:51 PM   #2
benewton

From a (far away) outside observer, with little interest and less learning...

If you're white and male, and they catch you, you're due for a lot of time with "Bubba" as your "friend".

Otherwise, expect confiscation, to enlarge the LEO's collection, of course, followed by probation, slap on the wrist...

Never have been to the PRK, and I will admit to an interest in the northern area, no doubt considered by the rest of the state as part of something else.

Have you considered leaving?

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the flush.
Old October 7, 2002, 04:07 PM   #3
Russ

Probably the death penalty they way Davis and the DemocRATS have ruined the state in a little over 3 years.

The link below takes you to the firearms division of the CA DOJ. There should be some information there.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/
Old October 7, 2002, 04:55 PM   #4
SIGarmed

Well at least if he gets the death penalty in California there is good news.
Since the the 70's only around a dozen or so criminals out of around four hundred on death row have actually been put to death. Such is the way of liberals. Why even have a death row if thats the way it goes?
Old October 7, 2002, 06:01 PM   #5
tyme
Staff

Getting caught carrying an unregistered handgun without a carry license is a felony. If the handgun is registered, the first time is a misdemeanor.

Owning an unlicensed firearm is a misdemeanor if you're clean, but there are a laundry list of exceptions that make it a felony. Priors that make it a felony include a violation of 12020, which is the wonderful section that includes such bogus laws as the "hi-cap" mag ban, the switchblade ban, and the dirk/dagger ban.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old October 7, 2002, 06:26 PM   #6
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

I miss the People's Republic of California like a wretched venereal disease.
Old October 7, 2002, 08:54 PM   #7
nemesis

Is this a serious post?

Do you actually have to "register" handguns or firearms in California? If so, who do you register with and how do you do that? Does it cost money? What if you sell it, is it still registered to you?
Old October 7, 2002, 08:58 PM   #8
HKguy9

I THINK all handguns are run thru the gummint since 1986?? I thought there wasn't any penalty for not having a registered one, but it's illegal to move them since 1986 without registering them?

I'm too young to have an unregistered weapon, at least my tactical boron-carbide coaded tritium tipped ninja stars and carbon fiber nunchaks don't have to be run thru DOJ.
Old October 7, 2002, 09:05 PM   #9
Barn Dog

I enthusiastically moved out of CA in 1992 and have not looked back. I had enough with the Bay area druggies and libs.

I'm not sure what you have to register but from what I have heard, the compliance percentage was in single digits as compared to how many guns they think are in CA. Anyone got any facts or figures on that?
Old October 7, 2002, 09:57 PM   #10
tyme
Staff

nemesis, 60 days, $14 per handgun. I wouldn't be at all surprised if handguns transferred multiple times ended up registered to the current owner and all prior owners.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old October 8, 2002, 11:39 AM   #11
Mute

Well...being this is Kalifornia, if you belong to a minority group, you can claim that oppression by "The Man" made you do it. They'd probably turn you into a Hollywood folk hero.