The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 10, 2002, 05:28 PM   #1
bluegill

Please help with fitting a recoil pad

I recently acquired an older Remingtion 870 Wingmaster in decent shape. It was made in the mid 60's and has a thin plastic butt plate. I've decided to put a recoil pad on it since it is an effective bruiser in its current state.

I purchased an Uncle Mike's "Magnum Open Cusion" pad a local store. On the box, trimming by using a belt sander is recommended. The fitting instructions seem simple enough, but could anyone tell me how easy this really is and what the chances making a mistake are? Also, before I do this, I'd like to know if the quality of this product is just as good as any or if I should take it back and get something else.

I have noticed a few other problems with this. This pad will add a good inch to the length of the stock. Compared to a newer 870 I have with a factory pad on it, the old one and new have identical overall lengths in their current states. The older has more wood in the stock. Originally, I though I'd simply try to order a factory recoil pad from remington hoping it would simply screw on and fit. The extra lenght of the stock is one issue, but I have also noticed when removing the original plate, the stock has a concave shape in the wood where the butt plate mounts.

Normally, I am very hesitant to make permanent, irreversable modifications to a firearm. The stock is proabably too long as it is, the end is not flat to easily accomodate a recoil pad, and there is about a half inch gouge in the finish right at the end of the stock anyway, so I guess it might be justified to cut some material off the end of the stock.

Simply removing about an inch of wood would get the dimensions close to the newer 870. I have realized this might be a good time to "custom" size the stock, but am worried about taking too much off. Should I attempt to "customize" it?

I'd also like suggestions on how to precisesly remove length from the stock and end up with a flat, even surface to attach the pad to. Use a band saw? Hand saw?

Please help before I destroy this.
Old September 10, 2002, 07:26 PM   #2
NIGHTWATCH

If I were you I would go to a reputable gunsmith and have it customized. Its worth doing it right if this shotgun has any value to you. There is no feeling worse than messing up a beautiful firearm because of uncertainty.
Old September 10, 2002, 07:31 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

PUT DOWN THAT STOCK, BACK AWAY FROM THE BANDSAW!!!

Seriously, most 60's 870s have pretty wood, so I suggest you let a pro do the job. It's not that complicated, but a practice run with a junker stock is definitely in order.

And if you mess up the junker stock, you can just spraypaint it flat black, and sell it at the next gun show as a "Tactical" stock.Some fool in cammies will buy it, trust me...

Also, you have no idea if the other 870 you have is stocked correctly for you.

So this will take some effort, but you may end up shooting much better, and with a better looking stock.

Beater 870s stocks aren't scarce nor expensive. Get one from a shop that has police inventory turnovers, and play with it.

Change the length by adding spacers. Change the drop by shimming between the stock and receiver as you test it out by shooting it. Try a temporary M/C cheekpiece with cardboard and tape, maybe. Change the pitch by adding shims between the pad and wood, even drill a hole to each side of the present lower pad hole and try some toe out.

Wiht a bit of effort you can end up with the best fit possible this side of H&H's Gun Room. Then, use the knowledge gained on the junker to do your good wood to match.

And, I've butchered a few stocks, but I now know that one needs a belt sander, bandsaw, masking tape, drill and so on. You may want the Brownell's catalog for further ideas.

HTH....