The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2002, 02:44 PM   #1
longship

Are there .375 cast lead bullets?

For folks who shoot the venerable .375 H&H, I was wondering if there are sources for cast lead bullets out there. I started pricing jacketed bullets and they are not cheap! I was wondering if there was a source of cheaper cast lead bullets for loading up some light practice fodder.

These babies would be loaded down anyway since I hunt on the east coast.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:22 PM   #2
longship

Great! I didn't know that .38/55 bullets were also .375 diameter, duh... I should have figured that one out myself.

Next question, I do all my reloading for other calibers with one of those Lee Hand Loaders, looks like a nutcraker. Been doing it for years and at the rate I shoot it suits me fine. However, can one of those loaders handle reloading/resizing .375 H&H shells? I no longer have the literature with mine so I don't know.

Thanks!
Old June 20, 2002, 07:35 PM   #3
Bud Helms

My .38-55 slugs out at .376. Badger barrel.
Old June 21, 2002, 06:59 AM   #4
BigG

The Lee Nutcracker will full length resize 375H&H no prob. Been doing it for years. 458 Win Mag also.

On the 14 gr Unique load do you put something on top of the powder to hold it back in that mammoth sized case?

I used to use 3031 in my 458 Win with 405 gr 45/70 bullets. Had to put dacron pillow stuffing atop powder or ignition was problematic. With dacron, no prob.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old June 21, 2002, 01:31 PM   #5
BigG

Alas, no 458 no mo :-(

Thanks, DonQ, I'd imagine the 8g RB load would sound something like FO-OOP! and you could see the ball going down range similar to the 38 wadcutters when the light is right.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

Old June 21, 2002, 01:33 PM   #6
BigG

You know, DonQ. You just gave me an idee. The 36 cal BP revolvers use a .375 RB. You could work up a squib for the H&H with that.

Old June 21, 2002, 02:30 PM   #7
BigG

Oh yeah! Just for putzin around, but what the hey. I thought the 405 gr 458 loads were a hoot for 50 yard iron sight plinkin.