The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2000, 03:56 AM   #1
Big Bunny

Anyone have any info on making home-made shot from linotype to close up patterns...not unlike a US "turkey load"?

I have my eye on a Shotmaker(electric) and I have heaps of linotype lead in the shed.

I worry about pressures a bit.

[Incedentially 1OZ 12Ga Slugs made of linotype and patched-no choke-with 800X loads at published 1,400FPS-18" barrel- go through x4 wet local 2" telephone books and are only polished up a bit!!]

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old November 11, 2000, 09:11 AM   #2
DaMan

Big Bunny, linotype is generally about 84% lead, 4% tin, and 12% antimony. This would make some VERY HARD shot (BHN 22)! Magnum shot runs from about 3-6% antimony, which translates to about 9-11 on the Brinell scale.

Plain old wheel weights have 4% antimony and produce shot of 9 BHN.

I have my reservations about these little electric shotmakers. They produce very crude shot of varying sizes and roundness. However, if the price of shot keeps going up around here, I may buy one of these little gizmos for practice loads and "brush/spreader" loads.

Regards! DaMan

Old November 12, 2000, 05:48 PM   #3
Big Bunny

Thanks for your reply DaMan.
As ever - good advice.
I will hold off on purchase, as the project looks like a lemon.

Can't beat the ol'Linotype 1Oz patched slug for penetration though!!!

BB

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.
Old November 12, 2000, 08:21 PM   #4
Big Bunny

OK an update.......It now appears that the range salvaged lead will NOT be linotype, as many pistol bullets(including police practice ammo) is well below this standard.

I now aim to simply melt and cast ingots of cleaned lead and then get it tested for hardness somewhere- before going on with the project.

Also the nozzles in the shotmaker can become blocked, unless clean lead is used- apparently.

Spoke to a local ex-farmer this morning. As a child he made farm shotgun shot with a blow-torch and a steel funnel with holes ball-pened in it on his dairy roof. The lead went down the corrugated steel roof and then plopped into a bucket of water with a bit of oil on top!
Amazing what you can do in shortages.
I asked him what SHOT SIZES he made by this home-made process.
The reply was a cheerful "ALL SIZES"
BB
Old November 16, 2000, 06:49 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

BB, I recall a friend who used to make some shot with a piece of screening and a bucket of water. He stood on a step ladder to pour.

'Nother friend cast his own slugs, for reasons of hairy chested self sufficiency only as near as I could tell.
Old November 17, 2000, 07:57 AM   #6
Intel6

I have used one fo those Littleton shot makers before and it wasn't too bad. The shot that it makes was all about the same size (about 71/2 size) but allot of the pellets were teardrop shaped. I was using the shot for shooting steel so I wasn't too concerned about longer range patterning. It loaded and shot fine and since it was just getting vaporized on steel it didn't make much difference. I just use real shot for hunting or sporting purpose loads.
I would consider getting one of the shot makers but I consider them too expensive for what you are getting. I have considerd trying to make my own, since they are not too complicated.