The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 8, 2002, 03:02 PM   #1
HKguy9

Good, Healthy Breakfast?

On thoughts on my lethargy post, what's a good healthy breakfast to eat? As cereal commercials and moms tout that breakfast is 'the most important meal of the day', what's something that's nutritous, economical and energizing? I felt this is kinda gun/combat related because I want something that helps me maintain an alert mindset, as opposed to something that would drain me (i.e. milk).

BTW, I don't drink milk straight, but can eat stuff like yogurt, even if it makes me a little queasy, even if it's a little expensive. Stuff like hash browns make me feel really heavy. I like fruits, but they don't fill you up. Cereal is good, but takes me forever to eat because I eat it dry (no milk) but I can eat it on the go. Stuff like pop tarts and waffles are tasty, I can eat it on the go, but are expensive and I don't know how much nutritional value it has.

Your thoughts? Hopefully fixing my diet will help me with my condition white problem, which I've been fighting lately.

I stay away from coffee because it makes me pee too much (kinda hard to go tactical when you have to go peepee!), I usually drink water for breakfast, can I do better?
Old June 8, 2002, 04:20 PM   #2
Ben Shepherd

Egg omelete, your choice of ingredients, bowl of instant outmeal, glass of fruit juice and a multi vitamin. (Small portions of each)

Filling, nutritional and won't weigh you down.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old June 8, 2002, 07:15 PM   #3
D.W. Drang

I'm guessing cold pizza, stale popcorn, and warm, flat beer isn't what you're looking for here... (Whataminute--are you
still in college? Or did I confuse you with another skunk...?)

Pancakes are a traditional high-energy breakfast. You could get a similar boost from similar foods--i.e. waffles, biscuits.
Try Tigers Milk or some of the similar non-dairy milk substitutes for th elactose intolerant. (End Lactose Intolerance Now! sez the bumper sticker.) The way dairy prices here in the Pacific Northwet are going, they'll probably be cheaper anyway.

Chech out the physical fitness section of your local library, and fitness magazines and columns in newspapers--diet is a frequent topic. Don't forget the importance of what you eat the rest of the day.
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old June 8, 2002, 07:59 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

Grits, couple pork chops, couple three eggs, fruit juice works for me unless it is gonna be a high strain day.. Then a hefty spaghetti dinner makes a decent breakfast.

Or juevos rancheros with chorizos and a goodly bit of fried taters.

Eating is a major pleasure.

Shame you don't do milk. Great tween meals snack is ultra slim fast (powder) made with whole milk, sugar and a touch of cinammon.

Sam
Old June 8, 2002, 08:53 PM   #5
ronin308

If I wanna power up in the morning I'll eat a Clif Bar and drink a Met-Rx shake, but that's expensive. For cheap you should probably eat oatmeal or muesli and drink some fruit juice. Granola bars and fruit juice are good too. I'd stay away from stuff that's greasy. It tastes good going down but it'll do you no good if you have to move quickly. Down a good multi vitamin. The Shaklee brand is awesome. Most other multi vitamins like Centrum, GNC, etc. have a binding agent that is basically like road tar. Do you want that stuff floating in your body? Don't forget to work out regularly as that will make you more energized throughout the entire day. Something along the lines of 35-50 pushups, a good many sit ups/leg ups, stretching, squats, and some cardio will keep you feeling great.

C.R. Sam- Wow! You really eat all that in the morning? And you still stay slim...you must have a very high metabolism!
Old June 8, 2002, 10:32 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

Human hummingbird. Ticks off my partner, we bout same height and he has a hundred pounds on me.....yet consumes bout half the calories.

Sam........ten stone and holding....so far.
Old June 9, 2002, 12:00 AM   #7
CD1

Try yogurt with Grape Nuts cereal mixed in with it. Healthy, tastes good, gives some texture the the yogurt.
Old June 9, 2002, 12:37 AM   #8
HKguy9

I like yogurt, but it's the texture that drives me nuts. It's like it makes me gag or something, even if I like the taste.

What is the benefit of multivitamins? I have a jar of that Centrum stuff, and take it whenever I remember (oh, every third day or so?) but I don't notice any difference.

As for oatmeal, is that instant stuff OK? It's expensive, but it's fast. The cheap stuff is blah, how do I make it interesting, mix fruit with it?

What juice is ideal, or are they all the same?

What's the most economical way to eat yogurt? Those small cans of yogurt are really expensive.

Something quick to prepare would be ideal.
Old June 9, 2002, 01:07 AM   #9
qkrthnu

I've always found Fruit makes me feel about the best in the morning.

Although I LOVE some good bacon & eggs, hash, homefrys etc w/ everything cooked in some good bacon greese, that just tends to make me want to go right back to bed.

Fresh cantalope, banannas, strawberrys etc makes me feel great though. Doesn't weigh you down, and has enough natural sugar to wake your brain up.
Old June 9, 2002, 01:48 AM   #10
HKguy9

Are sugars in fruits and yogurt better than something like say...Capn Crunch?
Old June 9, 2002, 03:40 AM   #11
ATeaM

Breakfast of Champions

Three poached fluffy white eggs, four slices of apple smoked bacon, country fried potatoes, a pan fried piece of kielbasa, two pancakes with sryup and butter, a bowl of fresh cut fruit, a cup of coffee, orange juice and ice water.

OR

Two eggs over medium, back bacon, grilled bangers and mash, thick slice of fried tomato, beans on toast, tea.

Both provide lots of energy throughout the day.
Old June 9, 2002, 04:07 AM   #12
Hkmp5sd

I try to always eat meals that cover the three major food groups, Sugar, Caffeine and Preservatives. Since I work nights and live the life of a vampire, this is very important. Normally breakfast is is Papa Johns, KFC, Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, and most other fast food joints I pass on the way to work.

NRA Life Member
Old June 9, 2002, 08:05 AM   #13
qkrthnu

Quote:
Are sugars in fruits and yogurt better than something like say...Capn Crunch?
Sugar is sugar. But I'll bet you'll feel better after some fruit than you will after captain crunch. The Capatain has a bunch of extra crap in it thats just not necessary for sustaining life.
Old June 9, 2002, 12:13 PM   #14
tdow

The sugar that you get in fruit is balanced by all the other stuff in the fruit, like water, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It probably wont make you crash as hard as a kids' cereal would.

Whole wheat toast with some butter would also be good.

Fruit would give you instant fuel, but not the kind that lasts all day. A starchy food, like toast or oatmeal would give you longer lasting energy. Yogurt, or a hardboiled egg would give you some protien (and hardboiled eggs are very easy to prepare and consume). A combination of the three would be ideal (for me). I wouldn't worry about fat. You will probably get enough without having to plan it .

Juice might give you a little too much sugar, causing you to crash later on, but I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I would stick to water.

Hope you feel more alert!

--Todd Dow
Old June 9, 2002, 07:39 PM   #15
ronin308

Skunk- Like I said, Centrum and most commercial vitamins are bound with an agent something like tar. If you're gonna take multi vitamins take good ones.
Old June 9, 2002, 07:48 PM   #16
Dave R

Home made bread (with lots of flour fresh-ground from whole wheat) with butter & honey on it. Whatever else you want with that. Learn to make it yourself, or marry someone who makes it. (I recommend second option.)

I like a cereal called Kashi. All fiber & protein. Tastes like cardboard, 'till I add a BUNCH of raisins (for iron) and fresh banana slices (for potassium to calm your nerves). Then itspretty yummy.

Good ol' Cream of Wheat. Or oatmeal. Flavor it up with raisins & brown sugar and its yummy.
Old June 9, 2002, 08:03 PM   #17
Navy joe

4 smokes, 3 cups of coffee, and a snort of vodka. Ahh, clean living!

Just kidding...
Old June 9, 2002, 08:37 PM   #18
BenW

For me, Tues and Thurs it's bran cereal with bananas and strawberries. Mon,Wed,& Fri, it's a custard filled donut and chocolate milk in order to cancel out the hour at the gym in the morning. Sometimes if I end up spending more than an hour working out, I'll throw in a Scooter Pie just to be safe.
Old June 10, 2002, 01:06 AM   #19
tdow

If the price of individual yogurt is too high for you, try buying a large container of a high quality, low fat plain yogurt. Then add some frozen berries, canned fruit, or whatever you like and mix it with some honey to sweeten it up. Yummy!

--Todd Dow
Old June 10, 2002, 01:50 AM   #20
citizen

Daily, for several years has been instant oatmeal with cinamonn,
non-daily creamer, and sugar substitute. Lasts several hours 'til
lunch. (Occasionally also toast and margarine.)
Oh Yea; morning coffee and cigs with my medication......
Life is too short for dial-up
Old June 10, 2002, 11:54 AM   #21
whitebear

Skunk -

Instant oatmeal falls into the "processed foods" category - it's amazing how they can take something really good for you and reduce its goodness for the sake of convenience...

That said, real oatmeal (Quaker Oats, etc.) is inexpensive, and can be ready in nearly the time that instant is - boil water, add oats, cook for 1 minute, and it's ready.

I add frozen fruit like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc. plus some honey. Usually suppliment it with some lead sausage or some other protein source.

Just my $.02
Member #1931
"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate."
Old June 10, 2002, 05:09 PM   #22
krept

as a general rule of thumb:

- protiens and fats will make you feel fuller, longer

- complex carbs like starches, cereal grains, bread, etc will give you more energy for sustained activities

- simple sugars like fructose and sucrose will provide you with the short but more intense burst of energy.

Look at the constituents of what you eat to come up with a balanced combo. Fruit is a great snack for between the meals when you feel like you are going to bonk, but I don't like to rely on it solely as a meal.

If you "don't like" straight milk or yogurt makes you queasy, you could be semi-lactose intolerant. People can start off as kids drinkin milk and then become lactose intolerant later on - or so they say. If you don't want to drink milk look to SILK or Soy Milk, products like that. They have an 'interesting' taste.

PErsonally, I love the stuff that tastes like cardboard.

Must take some of you guys forever to make breakfast.
Old June 10, 2002, 06:41 PM   #23
Borf

Oatmeal! I've always loved the taste of plain oatmeal. Not the instant junk in packets, but buy the big containers. No sugar, no maple syrup, just a big bowl of hot, fresh oatmeal!

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham
Old June 10, 2002, 07:01 PM   #24
Alabaster Jones

Two eggs over easy on toast, a bannana, apple, or peach, and a big fat glass of OJ. That's Good livin. I don't know about healthy eatin or not, but it is good livin.
Old June 10, 2002, 07:27 PM   #25
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

I recommend the famous Häagen-Dazs diet.