The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2000, 08:52 PM   #1
KilgorII

I've got a Remington 870 20 gauge youth model. The shell carrier (The tab on the bottom that raises the shell from the mag to be pushed into the chamber) comes about 1/4" past the bottom of the receiver. It comes in contact with the forestock, but slides underneath it when racked. The gun fires fine with one in the chamber, but the shell carrier remains in the up position when the new shell is ejected from the magazine, resulting in no shell chambered and an unfired shell on the ground.

I've got the trigger group in my hand and I don't see any obviously broken or worn out parts. Any idea where the problem may lie?

Old October 29, 2000, 10:14 PM   #2
Will Beararms

Hind sight is 20/20 but I would have avoided that used shotgun. I have an 870 Express 12 Ga. 3" left-handed waiting on me from the Swap Shop in Warren, AR and it does have the new lock but I will just keep it unlocked and have a key on a lanyard on one of my wader loops.

Now, I will quit pouring salt in the wound and offer something beneficial. Take it to Rodney Parnell in Warren at the Swap Shop and have him send it either to a good gunsmith or back to Remington depending on how much time you have. Or, trade it to him and get a new one. Yes, you might lose money but you may lose more than money if it doesn't work.

Good luck and my e-mail address has changed. Hope' things are still going well at the University. God willing, I will be SEARK deer hunting and duck hunting three to four times this year.
Old October 29, 2000, 10:24 PM   #3
KilgorII

Yeah I know... (*shrugging shoulders*) don't know why I didn't see it before I bought the gun.

I'm going to call Remington tomorrow and see what they have to say. Maybe they will know what it is because it has happened before, probably not. I've got more time than money. Anybody know what Remington's policy is on fixing guns like this? Are they like KelTec and NAA and will fix it for free regardless of if you are the original owner? If no, then that is fair though. Do they overcharge for repair work? Take a long time?

If anyone can offer advice on what to look at on the gun, I would still appreciate that too.

Old October 31, 2000, 02:33 PM   #4
KilgorII

No one has a thought as to where the problem may be?

Old October 31, 2000, 07:03 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

New one on me,Kilgor. And past my expertise.

Better take it to a Remington dealer or warranty station...