The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 24, 2000, 11:53 PM   #1
Posts: n/a
I was at a gun show in Las Cruces this past weekend. A class III dealer had a short barreled Mossberg (2+1 capacity). I commented about how that tempts me to get a class III license more than full auto does. He told me that you can legally buy and posess one without a class III license, but you have to pay a $5 transfer fee and register it. Is this true? I thought that a class III license was required for any full auto, short barreled shotgun, or supressor.
Old October 25, 2000, 07:10 AM   #2
Staff Alumnus
Join Date: March 11, 1999
Location: Masquito infested flatlands of Mid-FL
Posts: 1,857
You need a Class III licence to Make or Sell fullauto/suppressors/short bbl arms.

You need a Tax Stamp to posses any of the above. What happens is the Class III Dealer gives you paperwork to fill out (ATF Form 4) in Duplicate. The paperwork list the Class III item you intend to purchase. You fill out your info, get two sets of finger prints, two passport type photo's and have you local CLEO sign off that you are not restricted from owning one.

You either give all this back to the Dealer who send it to ATF (or you send it to ATF) along with a Money Order/Bank Draft for $200(Full Auto/Suppressor or $5 (Short BBL).

Some time later (anywhere from 3 to 8 months) if all goes well you will receive one copy back with the Tax Stamp on it and signed off by the ATF.

With the signed off Form 4 w/Stamp you then go get you Class III item.

Simple as that

GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"
Schmit is offline  
Old October 25, 2000, 09:51 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: November 27, 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 597
This is not my area of expertise, but I think I know what you are talking about, Mr. Freedom. The short barrelled shotgun you saw is classified as an "Any Other Weapon" and can be registered as such for 5 bucks instead of the 200 machine gun tax. You will note that the gun you saw had a pistol grip, I bet. The same gun, with a full normal shoulder stock, would be a "Short Barrelled Shotgun," and would require a 200 tax, same as an automatic weapon. What a difference a shoulder stock makes, eh? This is all from the 1934 law regulating autos, I think.

Shamans emerge whenever certain needs remain unanswered...Mark Levy
Jhp147 is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2016 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.10983 seconds with 7 queries