The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 28, 2002, 05:59 AM   #1
stellarpod

First time shooting CAS

Man, what fun! This beats the heck out of poking holes in paper. I shot my first match of cowboy action shooting Sunday at the Oklahoma City Territorial Marshal's monthly shoot. My times were long and I missed more targets than I would have liked to, but I had a really good time. The folks were very supportive and patient of this tenderfoot. One even let me load my guns and ammo on his cart, thereby relieving me of having to carry them from one round to the next.

I managed to clean the first and sixth (last) round. Most of my misses were with the rifle (Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .44 mag). This is a brand new gun and the only chance I'd had to shoot it previously was at an indoor 30-yard range. One of he gents who was spotting my 4th and 5th round mentioned to me that all of my shots, even the ones that hit, were high and left. I lowered the rear sight one notch and, sure enough cleaned that last round - and the rifle targets were much further away on this one than the previous five rounds.

I wasn't sure whether I'd like this style of shooting or not. But, I should have known that with my love of history and firearms that this sport was tailor-made for me. Now to start gathering some proper clothes and a cart.

I still love my autos and my military rifles. But, this is the sport that's going to keep me busy at the reloading table.
Old May 28, 2002, 07:51 AM   #2
Quantrill

CAS

Stellar,
Welcome to the club. You are in for a bunch of good shootin' and good friends. Quantrill
Old May 28, 2002, 07:56 AM   #3
Mike Weber

Watch it there Stellerpod:
Its highly addictive. before you know it you will be buying more and more revolvers leverguns, scatterguns,gunleather and gear than you thought possible. Then you'll be shopping for a buffalo gun. I know I've been there and there is always one more item of gear or gun that I see that I gotta have. I have a lot more fun with the old cowboy guns than with my modern ones.
Old May 28, 2002, 11:17 PM   #4
Big Hext

Welcome Amigo...

It is fun!
I'm still surprised by how much I enjoy the shooting, the clothing, the guns and the folks. I've shot a bit with shotguns and pistols, but never had this kind of connection. A connection to others and to my past.

You're also in luck. There are many shooting clubs in Oklahoma and even more in Texas.

Hope to see you on the trail one day.
Old July 6, 2004, 07:05 AM   #5
jAK-47

Another Newbie

I am JUST starting to research what I'll need to buy. Man, this is ALREADY fun And expensive if you start from scratch!

Because of where I live, the clubs I'll be competing at will be in Maine, NH and Mao-tse-chusetts! Seeing a bunch of people dressed up in cowboy clothes running around (safely) with LOADED guns in Mao-tse-chusetts. Man, can it get any better than that for weekend entertainment?

So far I'm leaning towards a Marlin 1894 in .357 and maybe a Uberti or Ruger in .357. Don't know squat about cowboy shotguns yet. And wait until I start shopping for clothes and accessories...

Now for an alias. Since I'm Jack in real life, there are a lot of possibilities - and I'm sure most of them are already taken. I like "One Eyed Jack" but my shooting is bad enough without having to shoot with one eye I'm sure it's already taken though... I could get an eyepatch and draw a horse on it - kinda like Darryl Hannah in "Kill Bill"? Maybe Jack-a-lope?

Will post after I get my gear and shoot an event.

jAK-47
Old July 6, 2004, 09:54 PM   #6
Throckmorton

Welcome to the group..........Y'all.
Been doing it about five years now and I'm still a'grinnin'.
Most Pards use the Winchester '97 pump,or replica thereof.Me being a 'purist', they just ain't cowboy...but they sure can be shot FAST.
have you discovered the SASS website,and i'ts BB..the Wire?tons of iinfo there,and we just never get tired of sucking in....er,I mean helping out new folks.
www.sassnet.com

Welcome to cas!!!!