The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 12, 2004, 05:21 PM   #1
gifted

beginning in cowboy shooting

How much does it cost, about? I have a relative that has dreamed of being a quick-draw artist, I figured looking at getting something for him would be interesting, even if not practical. Is quick-draw stuff an event he can enter individually, or would he have to do more than just that?
Old September 12, 2004, 07:51 PM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

Cowboy Action Shooting isn't "quick draw" per se. It is a timed event, and a speedy draw is helpful, but it's a sport heavily weighted in favor of fun, rather than competition.

SASS 47015
Old September 12, 2004, 08:45 PM   #3
gifted

I don't think he'll mind, but first he needs the stuff. What would a good "startup kit" involve?
Old September 13, 2004, 04:43 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Cowboy Action Shooting, as run by SASS, the Single Action Shooting Society, is a four gun event. You need two sixshooters, a lever action rifle in a pistol caliber (doesn't have to be the same as the revolvers, but it is convenient) and a double barrel or hammer pump shotgun.
Look up your area prices on Ruger Vagueros, Marlin 94 rifles, and Stoeger/IGA or Baikal shotguns and you can see what it will cost him for guns. Plus a holster rig for the revolvers and reasonably period looking clothes. $1500 or more, I suspect.

Fast draw is NOT ALLOWED in CAS. You obviously want to draw and shoot in a hurry but real fast draw techniques are considered unsafe with live ammunition.

If your pard wants to shoot real fast draw, that is a separate outfit. They shoot either blanks or wax bullets for safety, because they are doing some rather oddball techniques very quickly and things can go wrong in a hurry if you outrun your ability.
Old September 13, 2004, 09:30 PM   #5
gifted

Thanks. Just what I was looking for.
Old November 6, 2004, 02:37 PM   #6
maddoccanis

cowboy startup

i wouldn't be in too big a rush to run out and buy a cowboy rig. find a club and shoot with them a couple of times using borrowed guns. if you are near los alamos look up the lost almost posse at the sportsmans club.

you probably want to get pistols and rifle in the same caliber, and you want to choose the caliber carefully. i like 45 colt, but if you want to practice a lot the ammo gets expensive and you may want to start reloading. 357 guns will shoot inexpensive 38 ammo.

a club will also help you find some used equipment if you want. good luck.....doc
Old November 6, 2004, 04:49 PM   #7
Sir William

I would say abot $5,000.00 to start out. It is about $2,000.00 for the sixguns, leather, action jobs and other competition preparatins. $1,000.00 for a rifle by Uberti, action job, shortstroke kits and sights worth having. A decent shotgun will run about $700.00 by the time it is given an action job and readied for competition. Boots, Wah clothing, hats and club memberships account for the rest of the money. I am not even counting a $10,000.00 parking spot at the SASS Founders Ranch. LOL CAS is a rich mans sport.
Old November 13, 2004, 11:50 AM   #8
Gunsmith4570

CAS On a budget.

Cowboy Action Shooting can be as expensive as you want, however you can get started on a budget. First of all the cloths don't have to be perfect at first. For new shooters jeans and a button up shirt with boots to start will work. For a hat try wally world they sometimes have wool felt for cheap. As to the guns look around a Stevens or Savage 311 12 or 20 gauge will work and can be found reasonable. Rifles are another area you can save money, look for Rossi model 92, these are copies of the Winchester model 92 and are available in 357 and 44 magnum also 44-40 and 45 colt, they are not as low priced as they used to be but still less than a Uberti and they have a shorter lever stroke than the Henry 1866 and 1873. For Revolvers you could get in for as little as 450 to 500 dollars, depending on where you want to start. Personally I started with Cap And Ball revolvers a 1858 remmington 44 replica and a Lyman 1851 navy colt replica 36 caliber. To do well in the shooting of any of these guns you have to PRACTICE. When I missed with one of those revolvers, I can tell you it was me, not the guns. As was said in another post the idea is to have fun. As far as holsters, if you use the BP revolvers, both guns and leather is available at Cabelas for reasonable prices. Remember have fun!

Keep Your Powder Dry!