The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 30, 2002, 01:18 AM   #1
jakester

9mm Disadvantage in IPSC

Wondering how many shoot IPSC with hicap 9mm pistols and what type of pistols? Prefer 1911's but the staggering prices of the pistols and magazines is pointing me towards the more common 9mm pistols that hicap mags are still readily available for. Any suggestions? Prefer the larger calibers, but with the $$$ saved, I can afford to practice a lot more and maybe keep all my hits in the "A" zone!
Old March 30, 2002, 08:03 AM   #2
billkrom

IPSC 9MM

I see a lot of Glock 17C's used.
Old March 30, 2002, 09:24 AM   #3
kbear38S

Production division scores all calibers as minor. 9mm is probably the optimum caliber for that division. It's great for starting out and for shooters who want to keep their expenses down.
Old March 30, 2002, 10:05 AM   #4
Jim Watson

But if you are shooting Production, you don't need the high-caps, either; USPSA Production is restricted to ten rounds in the magazine, so Klinton Klips are all you need.

I don't know anybody shooting Minor in Open or Limited and really, truly making up for it with As. Maybe there is somebody good enough, but I haven't seen or heard reliably of him.

So shoot a 9mm in Production or a .45 in Limited-10 and have a good time. Don't worry about the Open and Limited shooters and their "pre-ban" and "repaired" 24 shot magazines.
Old March 30, 2002, 04:45 PM   #5

I shoot IPSC with a Ruger P89. As mentioned, you can't use a mag with more than 10 rounds in it, so I chose to save my standard capacity mags and bought six klinton mags. If you are really trying to win an IPSC match, you need to buy a racegun. If you are going to have fun, and do the best you can then why not a 9mm. I had shot IPSC years ago and shot a stock 1911. So I knew how much practice I was going to do and how much of a beating the gun was going to take. I had this P89 in my safe and didn't really shoot it much, so I decided this was the perfect venue for it. Rugged as hell, more than adequate accuracy, and I wouldn't be wearing out some of my more valuable pistols. I have moved up the standings every match so far.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old March 30, 2002, 09:18 PM   #6
eerw

Kind of depends on your goal

As mentioned..competing in production class is where the 9mm rules..that is 10 round mags and against like guns..I have used a steyr m9 and have done pretty well especially locally.

To use the 9mm in limited or open would be a challenge especially if you did big matches..you give up too much to others that are shooting major...especially in open as the guns don;t recoil all that much already..

Now if you were talking about just shooting on the club level..I'd say give it a try..I think a person could do very well...I am thinking of putting a five inch slide in 38 super or 9x23 (cause I have all that stuff) and shoot a limited gun in minor...it sounds fun..you do well..its the shooting that got you there...
Old March 31, 2002, 10:02 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

C CLASS

I earned C Limited using 9x19 (and C Open with iron sights).

Just a game; how can that create a 'disadvantage'?

(Got the 7.5" 357 Redhawk up and running; will see if it goes to the next IPSC match.)

-----------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are competition handguns"
Old April 2, 2002, 10:48 AM   #8
SDC

It's only a disadvantage if you don't shoot "A"s

I usually shoot Production with my Glock 17, but even when they score me as a Standard shooter, I end up in the top 10. The moral is: shoot what you're comfortable with.
Old April 2, 2002, 05:14 PM   #9
RickB

I've shot a half-dozen matches with my Hi-Power. Definitely not the hot ticket for Limited, but it's the only hi-cap gun I own, and I can at least feel like a hoser. Although my match scores have never been very good with that gun, I shot the best classifier score of my life with it.
Old April 2, 2002, 08:17 PM   #10
grassy knoll

hey stacey c'mon the rest of us in the top 10 aren't much competition

jason