The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 9, 2002, 12:48 AM   #1
Carbon_15

Walther PPK .22 history..help

I picked up a PPK .22 from my uncle today. He has had it for as long as I can remember and I have always wanted it, but it was never for sale. Well, I happened to recently aquired a rifle that he just had to have at any cost. It wasnt a particularly valuable rifle, but it was incredibly accurate and mounted so smooth, that he really wanted it. He offered very nice satin nickle Taurus .38, but I wast exactly looking to get rid of the gun, so I turned it down. To my suprise he then offered the .38 and the PPK. So I got a sweet shooting .38 and the PPk for a $500 ringer of a rifle with no scope.
He said he bought the PPk .22 at an estate auction for an ambiguos govenment agent in the early 70's. Is there anyway I can find out the age of the gun and any history it might have. Its obvious from the extensive holster wear that it was a working gun. The internals show very little wear and the bore was bright and clean. The frame rails and other friction parts are smooth and still have 90% of the blueing. The light wear to the internals and heavy holster wear on the outside is consistant with a gun that was carried under harsh conditions daily, but shot little. I dont think it was a plinker. practicly all of the wear is from the origonal owner, as my uncle shot and handled it very little. Except for 3-4 range outings it has spent all of its time with my uncle wraped in chemsole.
I dont see any Interarms Import marks, but there are german proofmarks all over it. Ther is the eagle (?) over an 'N' on the left side of the slide by the model and caliber markings, on the right side of the frame behind the triger guard and on the barrel in the ejection port. There is also an Antler an the number '68' on the barrel in the ejection port. The Serial number on the right of the frame behind the trigger guard is: 1115##LR
The slide is marked:
Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/do
Modell PPK Cal.-22l.r.
On the left side of the fram is marked: Made in West Germany

Not being a proper gun historian, my best guess would be that it is a domestic gun since the model and such is in german and there arent any import marks. Any info you guys could provide would be greatlu apreciated. Some pictures are below.

Thanks,
Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-020f.jpg (189.1 KB, 186 views)
Old February 9, 2002, 12:49 AM   #2
Carbon_15

another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-021f.jpg (187.5 KB, 141 views)
Old February 9, 2002, 12:51 AM   #3
Carbon_15

last one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-029f.jpg (94.2 KB, 127 views)
Old February 9, 2002, 08:38 AM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

For What it is Worth:
From Military Pistols of the 20th Century

HJN
Old February 9, 2002, 08:40 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Froms Jan's Guns Recognition Guide

HJN
Old February 9, 2002, 09:20 AM   #6
popeye

Gun Control Act of '68 banned import of short barreled handguns. So your gun was made post war, (West Germany) probably between '52 and '67 and imported to the U.S. (import marks not required then).

My 6 year old "Blue Book" values German .22 PPK in %98 at $625. If gun is alloy frame it's worth less. .22 is worth more than .32 or .380.

Suggest you inquire here:
http://www.carl-walther.de/englisch/forum.html
Old February 9, 2002, 11:40 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Before GCA 68 only the name of the country of origin was required on imported products, and that is present on this gun ("Made in W. Germany"). The '68 law required the importer mark on guns, but other products still have only the country.

The antler and 68 is the Ulm proofmark and the year the gun was proofed, so it evidently made it into the US just ahead of GCA 68. (There was a lot of last minute importing done in those days.)

Jim