The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 1998, 09:22 PM   #1
Jeff Cox

I have recently been considering purchasing a Benelli M1 or M3 shotgun and was lucky enough to shoot one at the range this weekend. Handles both buck and slugs like a dream. My question is that since I'm a lefty I have to change my grip to disengage the safety. Is it possible to switch the safety so that I could disengage it with my trigger finger by pushing it to the right instead of pushing it to the left with my thumb? Any ideas or techniques would be appreciated.
Old December 21, 1998, 09:36 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

Benelli makes Left Handed models of their Montefeltro and Super Black Eagle guns. I believe that the PG and shorter barrels will fit on the Super Black Eagle, and you would get the advatnage of 3.5" shells if you wanted them.
I am not sure if the Montefeltro is interchangable with the tactical accessories for the M1.

I would think that the safety can be reversed on the M1/M3 though. What the safety does is cause a post to be pushed up into the trigger group, effectively keeping it from operating. The cylinder that is the "safety button" should be able to be removed and reversed by any Benelli authorized smith, psuhing the button will still cause the post to be "ramped" up into the trigger group.

Consult a qualified smith on this, and don't try it yourself...

------------------
-Essayons