The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2002, 08:55 PM   #1
Rocklobster

1896 Mauser

Anyone here experienced with 'smithing on these?
Old February 2, 2002, 07:43 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Rocklobster, yes. What do you need? George
Old February 2, 2002, 08:03 AM   #3
DAVID NANCARROW

I'm almost afraid to touch mine except to clean it-stripped off the furniture foreward of the first barrel band and the thing gave me a 3 shot cloverleaf at 50 yards, albeit 8 inches high with the stock military sights!
Old February 2, 2002, 01:33 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

David, my 1896 did about the same thing at 25 yards. Shot high, but what a tight group. BTW, mine's a flatside made about 1899.
Old February 2, 2002, 01:35 PM   #5
Joe Portale

Played with bunch of Mausers, no where as mcuh as George (a pro). I screwed up just about everyway you can think of, maybe I can help, also.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old February 2, 2002, 07:35 PM   #6
Rocklobster

1896 Mauser(2)

Thanks,George.I've recently acquired a C-96 Model 1930.I got it as a shooter-it's not a matching parts gun,and it's been refinished.Not a collector piece,in other words.

I've replaced the bolt stop,and all springs.I also bought a newly-manufactured firing pin and extractor.

My question: How far should the firing pin protrude from the rear of the bolt? I've not tried fired the gun yet,but I've tested its function with snap caps.The firing pin makes a dimple in the primer area of the snap cap,but it seems a bit shallow,as if the firing pin isn't driving out far enough.It seems to me that the firing pin should stick out a bit farther(like the 1911).The new firing-pin spring is the same length as the one I replaced.

Am I being a wuss-should I just try firing it?I know the worst thing that would happen is that it just wouldn't fire.I'm just sorta leery of trying to fire it if something is not kosher,not being super familiar with this gun.

Thanks for all input, fellers!
Old February 2, 2002, 11:39 PM   #7
Joe Portale

WUSS!

If the pin is denting a snap cap, it will probably detonate a primer. I will look up the exact protrusion later, it's getting late and I'm being lazy. Go shoot your rifle.

Oh, one added thing. Try to clean out the firing pin hole. Years of crud could have packed up behind the opening inhibiting the firing pin travel. Also, if you have a micrmeter, measure the the diameter of the old pin, about 1/16" from the tip and then do the same to the new pin. If the difference is more than .002, you may need to ream the firing pin hole a tiny bit. I have used oxy-acetylene torch cleaning tips with success for both cleaning and opening up the firing pin hole a teeny-tiny bit. Don't go crazy, a little back and forth will go a long way.

- St Paul
Old February 3, 2002, 02:21 PM   #8
Rocklobster

Thanks,Joe,but...it isn't a rifle,it's a Model 1896 "Broomhandle" Mauser.

Been there,done that,with the firing pin thing.Removed bolt,cleaned the dickens out of it from stem to stern,new and old firing pins measure the same from one end to the other.

Thanks for the feedback,though...I'm heading out in a few minutes to try firing it,thereby de-wussing myself.
Old February 3, 2002, 04:30 PM   #9
Joe Portale

Oh it's a handgun! I saw 1896 and assumed that it was a 96 Small RIng Mauser. Even after I read what you wrote to George, it didn't sink in. Oh well, have fun with it. An old Broomhandle is on my Gonna Git One of these Days list. I'm a little jealous.

- St Paul
Old February 3, 2002, 06:23 PM   #10
Rocklobster

Well,I went ahead and fired that baby.Not only did it fire properly,it fired WELL.I made a nice little 2" 10-shot hole from about 30 feet away,firing one-handed.

It's funny-the firing pin made a normal impression in the primers of the Remington ammo I used-my other guns do the same thing to a snap cap that they do to a live primer,this one didn't.I guess it's because of the super-stiff firing-pin spring.

I just like to be sure I've covered all the bases on a gun that's 70-odd years old before I start blasting-I don't wanna be one of those one-eyed,9-fingered dudes I see ever so often at the range!