The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old July 5, 2002, 10:02 PM   #1
300winguy

Mediocre CZ527!

I have had on of CZ's 527's now for 7 months and am not at all impressed. I have not come across any reloaded or factory ammo that shoots close to an inch at 100 yards. I have given up. I'm now on the market for a new lightweight .233rem, that is one without a bull barrel. There don't seem to be many of these(without ironsights). Anyone here have a suggestion for an accurate bolt action .223. How are the ruger bolts? I have never had one, they look nice but all I hear is that accuracy is questionable (don't want more of that) and the triggers are lousy.
Old July 5, 2002, 10:28 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. As you know, each rifle's a law unto itself, but in my CZ527, the most accurate load I've been able to find, factory or handload, has been Winchester's Combined Technology 50 gr BallisticSilvertip. It goes 3/8" @ 100 yards for 3 shots from my pencil-bbl'd CZ.

Best and good luck.
Old July 6, 2002, 09:30 AM   #3
Wild Irish

Yes, and no

Two years ago I plunked down ('way too much) money on a CZ 527 carbine, chambered in 7.62 X 39. First day on the range, the bolt blew after firing 17 rounds of Wolf ammo. Yes, blew up. Sent the specimen back to CZ, and they sent a new rifle. I've put approx. 600 rounds through this one, and each time it gets better. Trust was slow in coming, and I was reluctant about letting it play around with EmmyOneAy and the other children, being worried about bad influences and all. Extra mags are expen$ive, the front sight concept is dumb. But, it is accurate, very light, points quickly, shoots cheap ammo. Give yourself some time with it, it could come to be a fun gun for you.
Old July 6, 2002, 02:59 PM   #4
Tropical Z

I guess i'm the weirdo,but these threads crack me up!
If i can put a mag into a frisbee at 100 yards i'm more than happy.I can shoot better if i want too,but who cares?
Old July 6, 2002, 03:07 PM   #5
KSFreeman

Tropical Z, it's called "gunhackitis." All those flower-shirted nitwits in Kalifornia scribbling about how any weapon made by anyone should be able to shoot the eye out of FDR on the dime at 777 yards from a dead run on a horse. Magic swords indeed.

Medium price, what do ya know, medium quality firearm. I'm with TZ; I worry about me far more than the equipment.

Use the money you saved and go to school? Just an idea.
Old July 8, 2002, 10:05 AM   #6
CheapSeats

TZ said:

Quote:
I guess i'm the weirdo,but these threads crack me up!
If i can put a mag into a frisbee at 100 yards i'm more than happy.I can shoot better if i want too,but who cares?
I am into 22 rimfire and I keep reading about 1" groups at 100 yds. and I feel the same way.

The orneriest critter I'll be shooting at 100 yds. is a groundhog and if I can group 2" to 2.5" I am in the game with Stingers or Velocitors.

As far as I am concerned a 22 is a <75 yd. rifle anyway in most cases, and <50 yds for squirrel.

At 50 yds. I don't have any problem holding a <1" group. Most are <.75"

I may not agree with this person in entirety, particularly in the political party realm. But I have seen a lot of truth on these pages regarding the 2nd Ammendment:

http://www.stentorian.com/2ndamend/

The 2nd Ammendment of the U.S. Constitution is to keep the government in line...not the citizenry.

Who ever came to the dangerous conclusion that the government(s) had the right to interpret it FOR us?

Ever heard of the wolf guarding the henhouse? I know what! (ludicrous thought) Let's allow the wolf to determine for us how many chickens is normal to "lose" each night.

I am sure that the wolf will help us to save our chickens.
Old August 6, 2018, 10:48 PM   #7
Chandler99

the CZ527 accuracy or lack thereof

I'm amazed that 300WinGuy had so much trouble with his CZ 527. I bought one (.223) for around 600 bucks a couple of years ago, and found that it outshot every other hunting rifle I had. That included a Weatherby .308 Deluxe, a Remington 700 BDL, a Kimber LPT .308 with a fluted barrel, and a Colt AR-15. At 100 yards, the CZ outshot all of them. Not by a lot, but still. On any given day, it will shoot 3 and 5 shot groups at 1" and I've had more than one 3 shot group that sub 1" MOA. I trust its accuracy and knock down power so much I hunt deer, hogs, and turkeys and typically make neck or head shots out to 100 yards.

Perhaps, like so many things, 300WinGuy just got a lemon. By the way, after testing a number of different ammunition combos, I found my rifle loved the American Eagle Varmint Tipped 50g round. It helps that I have a dependable Leopold 3x9x40mm scope mounted on it. It has turned out to be a great little bolt action rifle. Oh, and by the way, the Single Set Trigger is absolutely the coolest damned trigger on the planet.
Old August 7, 2018, 05:22 AM   #8
Bfglowkey

OP has asked for reccommendations on other 223 rifles so here are a few:
Rueger American Predator or Ranch- solid rifles with great accuracy potential. If you are looking to keep factory stock the Ranch is the better choice, seems a bit more rigid and handles very nice. Iron sights do not come with either but I may be wrong on the Ranch...
Mossberg MVP patrol- the 223/556 chambering uses AR mags, comes with iron sights and seems to shoot right at 1 MOA with above avg ammo ( bulk stuff will make you want to toss it in a ravine)
Savage Axis 2- Sporter barrel and no iron sites but inexpensive and the 2 I believe comes with the accutrigger. Well worth the extra money over the 1. The stock is bleh but it shoots and being a Sporter barrel will heat up quick.
Tikka- smooth action, easy to handle and I think you can find them in the heavy Sporter barrel variety. Get the stainless steel if you have the coin... probably the best out of the box value. Trigger, stock, action wise. Again no iron sights but easy to remedy.

Those are the only ones I can speak to personally. I have unboxed both the Rueger predators and Mossberg while only shooting the others at the range with fellow enthusiastic folks. Hope it helps
Old August 7, 2018, 05:30 AM   #9
eastbank

i have two T3 tikka,s in .223, one blue and one SS, with Hornady bulk pack .223,s they will both shoot less than MOA and just last week I was shooting clay birds at 300 yards with the SS one with a SS 4x12 leupold scope and shot 8 out of 10 from a rest. I think they have the smoothest action and one of the best triggers out there and I,m a die hard Remington man.
Old August 7, 2018, 02:17 PM   #10
223 shooter

Looks like this thread is 16 years old so most likely OP has long ago made his choice on a new 223.
Old August 7, 2018, 03:55 PM   #11
Picher

My first rifle was a Stevens Semi-Auto that I never shot targets with for several years. I put a scope on it, sighted it in and went squirrel hunting.

After several years, I decided to shoot at a target at about 30 yards and it couldn't hit a half-dollar every time. Keep in mind that this rifle killed lots of squirrels, rabbits, woodchucks, frogs, etc., but suddenly, it wasn't accurate enough for me. I don't think it ever would have shot great groups, but then I didn't know how bad it really shot. So, I traded it away and got a series of .22LR rifles that never were the right one, until I got a Model 39A Mountie that shot lights out! I made some 1/2" groups with the receiver sights and killed all kinds of squirrels out at camp.

I finally got rid of the Mountie when the fact that the receiver top was not square with the sides got the best of me. (It hadn't been apparent until mounting the receiver sight. Then, it stood out like a sore thumb.)

A few years ago, I bought a second, new Model 39A Deluxe that was a pretty rifle, but it also had defects that bugged me, so I finally sold it at a gun show this spring.
Old August 7, 2018, 04:35 PM   #12
berettaprofessor

Holy necro-posting! Well, I did learn today that CZ has been making the 527 a lot longer than I thought!
Old August 7, 2018, 05:35 PM   #13
Bfglowkey

Lol I rarely remember to look at post date...it shows up as a new thread so I read it...that will learn me
Old August 8, 2018, 09:11 AM   #14
RedLeg105

IIRC, CZ527's in .223 were 1:12 twist back when this thread was started. That might have been part of his problem - trying to shoot too long a bullet.
Old August 8, 2018, 10:02 AM   #15
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler99 View Post
I'm amazed that 300WinGuy had so much trouble with his CZ 527. I bought one (.223) for around 600 bucks a couple of years ago, and found that it outshot every other hunting rifle I had. That included a Weatherby .308 Deluxe, a Remington 700 BDL, a Kimber LPT .308 with a fluted barrel, and a Colt AR-15. At 100 yards, the CZ outshot all of them. Not by a lot, but still. On any given day, it will shoot 3 and 5 shot groups at 1" and I've had more than one 3 shot group that sub 1" MOA. I trust its accuracy and knock down power so much I hunt deer, hogs, and turkeys and typically make neck or head shots out to 100 yards.

Perhaps, like so many things, 300WinGuy just got a lemon. By the way, after testing a number of different ammunition combos, I found my rifle loved the American Eagle Varmint Tipped 50g round. It helps that I have a dependable Leopold 3x9x40mm scope mounted on it. It has turned out to be a great little bolt action rifle. Oh, and by the way, the Single Set Trigger is absolutely the coolest damned trigger on the planet.
Some rifles just don't shoot as well as other's and some cartridge's are easier to shoot well than other's. He may or may not have a lemon, without seeing the rifle myself, be hard to say. Worked up some hunting ammo for a guy here in town. I get just under an inch with it and he is lucky to get 2" with the same rifle and loads. Is it the rifle? Don't think so. To get it to shoot I had to completely re-bed it and float the barrel. Don't know if I ever saw many rifles as poorly bedded as his and he was clueless. The rifle or the shooter?
Old August 8, 2018, 07:31 PM   #16
Ike666

Several years ago I got a CZ 527 American M1 in .223. It did have a 1:12 twist and a pencil barrel. At first I couldn't get is to group better than 2.5 - 3 MOA at 100 yds. I tried a variety of bullet weights from 40 up to 55 grains. Didn't matter. Big, open groups.

Then I was messing around with COLs and discovered that my rifle had an unusually long leade. I mean really, really long. I couldn't get a bullet of any weight to touch lands. I even tried a 62 grain just to see if I could touch the lands. I got a Hornady COL tool and the bullet always fell out of the case and never hit any resistance.

I called CZ and they were polite but terse and sent me an RMA. Sent it out to Utah. It stayed for six weeks. Came back to me with the only information being "Warranty Repair." I was curious about the actual problem a called them. All they would say was that the rifle was repaired and test fired.

When I took it to the range next, it printed sub-.5 MOA all day with Hornady 53 grain VMAX. Personally, I really like the set trigger on it. I'll agree the regular trigger is even today a bit heavy and gritty, but when the trigger is set it goes off with a puff of air.

When I sent it in I told them that it was important that I get the original stock back. It is beautifully figured American Walnut. For all I know, I got a whole new rifle with my stock on it (same SN though). I'd still love to know what was wrong with the first one. It is a cold hammer forged barrel so I'm not sure how the leade could have been so far off specs.
Old August 9, 2018, 06:18 AM   #17
fourbore

Quote:
Looks like this thread is 16 years old so most likely OP has long ago made his choice on a new 223.
Dont we all just love to talk Self included.
Closed Thread