The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 25, 2001, 09:28 AM   #1
Jeremae

I have believed for the longest time that the Remington xp-100 target pistol was based upon the 788 action... Not sure where I picked up the idea but think it was at a gunshow...

Recently I was told it was actually built from the 600 (and model 7)

Which is true?
Old April 25, 2001, 09:54 AM   #2
Hutch

IIRC, the originals were sorta/kinda left-hand 600's. I have no idea what config they are now.
Old April 25, 2001, 11:40 AM   #3
Paul B.

Remington designed the XP-100 to be a pistol from the start. It is illegal to make a handgun from a rifle, but it is OK to make a rifle from a handgun. (stupid federal BS!) The Remington XP-100 action was thought to be useable as a short action rifle, so with some modifications, it became the Remington 600. Then the 660, and finally the 600 Mohawk. I believe the model 7's action is somewhat different with more of the model 700 features than the 600's.
Paul B.
Old April 25, 2001, 08:34 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The business about making a handgun from a rifle applies to work done on a production rifle. It does not apply to a factory designer working on a new product. Nonetheless, Remington did do it that way, pistol first, even though they have all the licenses there are. They did have a neat gun that looked like the XP-100 but had a 40 round magazine and a switch on the side that was marked S-1-3-F. Think the 9mm is a potent SMG round? Try .221 Fireball!

Jim
Old April 25, 2001, 10:33 PM   #5
Borf

Seems like a good place to clear up some ignorance of mine -
Correct me if I'm wrong - Minimum rifle barrel length 16", is there also an overall min length (26?)??...

Question #1 (if there is overall min)- What happens when non-FFL joe average is fitting a new stock? Rifle is out of stock, is a fireable firearm but shorter than min. 'till new stock in place. Criminal?

Question #2 - Joe Average buys a new barrel. After wrenching off the old one, he now has a snubnose rifle momentarily until he puts the new barrel on. Crime commited?

Just a wonderin'
Old April 26, 2001, 01:16 PM   #6
Paul B.

Borf. Question #1. No, but dammit, don't give our good buddies at the BATF any ideas.
Question #2. No. If the barrel is off, the round would be hanging out in thin air with no support. If you could get it to fire, the results would not be to your likeing. Shrpnel smarts.
Paul B.