The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2016, 09:14 PM   #1
JSMidd

Help with dating a Remington Model 11 20-gauge

Dear Forum Friends,

My 13-year-old son received a beautiful Remington Model 11 20-gauge as a birthday present 3 years ago on his 10th birthday. Since then, he has become quite the dove and quail hunter, and has a personal best of 148 skeet shot in a row. I say all that to let you know this kid is a appropriately nuts about this firearm.

At school, he has permission to write a history paper on Remington shotguns, and the history of this gun. He has called Remington, but was only able to leave a message, and he'd like to know if anyone on this forum can help date his shotgun.

The model is 11, and the serial number is 1020538. By our best research, this puts the shotgun somewhere between 1931-33, but we can't put an exact year on it, and it's driving him crazy!

Does anyone here know anywhere I can look for greater detail?

Thanks, ya'll.
"Those who were rebuilding the wall and those who carried burdens took their load with one hand doing the work and the other holding a weapon...neither I, my brothers, my servants, nor the men of the guard who followed me, none of us removed our clothes, each took his weapon even to the water."
Nehemiah 4
Old October 9, 2016, 07:42 AM   #2
ulflyer

Ask on the "Shotgunworld.com" forum. There's a member that goes by the handle Virginian that knows a great deal about Remingtons.
Old October 9, 2016, 08:29 AM   #3
Ricklin

Good bunch of very knowledgeable folks at SGW. Virginian posts often in the Winchester forum at SGW too.
Old October 9, 2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Virginian

31 to 33 is as close as I can get also with the serial # - do you have the barrel code? Try posting on
http://www.remingtonsociety.org/forums/
and maybe Researcher can nail it down closer. He knows more about Remington Autoloading Shotguns and Model 11s than I do. I may have the edge on 1100s and 870s.