The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 7, 2016, 07:56 PM   #1
pcgunner

Harbor Freight sale - stuff for the bench

I know many people (including myself) don't put much stock in HF tools for the most part.

However, IMO it's a good place to pick up some incidentals as well as an opportunity for new reloaders just starting out to obtain some decent gear.

There's a parking lot sale this weekend, but here are a few items I found on sale this month:
  • ammo box - 4.99 - small but usable
  • calipers - 10.99 - decent enough to start
  • led headlamp - 4.99 - good for lighting up the press
  • ear protection - 2.99 - obvious
  • eye protection 1.99 - obvious
  • brush set - 1.99 - for cleaning
  • safe - 59" - 339.99 - decent price and can hold rifles
  • aluminum case - 11.9 - hand gun size
  • stacking bin 3.99 - can attach to some progressives for bullets or brass
  • bench with peg board/lighting and outlet 99.99 - this is a really good deal for an inexpensive bench if anyone needs (I built my own but I would buy this)

If you're a member (costs 29.99) the deals are really pretty good.

Hope that helps someone
Old March 7, 2016, 08:13 PM   #2
spacecoast

I bought their inexpensive digital caliper and it's been great - still on the original set of batteries after 6 years +. AFAIK it's the same thing as the RCBS model that costs 5-8x the price.
Old March 7, 2016, 10:12 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

I avoid their tools, but their big tool cabinets are exceptional value and half or less the cost of Craftsman.
Old March 7, 2016, 11:25 PM   #4
tangolima

I used to go there a lot. After learning a few lessons I only go there occasionally.

Before I buy anything from there, I will ask myself this question. If this thing breaks before I use it, and I have to chuck it, will I feel bad? I bought it if the answer is no.

I don't mean their stuff break right out of box. They don't, and I can always return them if they do. But they are copies of the original and they don't always do a good job copying. The tool works but it doesn't work right. I almost always have to jiggle it to make it work correctly. Got sick of jiggling it, I have to pay more money to buy the real deal. I will have to beg people to take my HF give aways.

-TL
Old March 9, 2016, 11:21 AM   #5
burrhead

The only things I buy from HF are ratchet tie-down straps and crushed walnut media. I destroy tie downs, consider them disposable, and their crushed walnut is 25# for +/- $25. I buy the best tools I can afford and HF doesn't get it. I certainly wouldn't buy eye pro there.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old March 9, 2016, 12:09 PM   #6
cptjack

going to HF is like going to vegas a gamble
Old March 9, 2016, 04:05 PM   #7
zach_

Nitrile gloves - CHEAP
paint tarps - FREE
1 set of truck ramps - CHEAP (used)
knock off dremel - works fine CHEAP (refurb)
"fein tool" style baseboard hole cutter works fine CHEAP (refurb)
5 way screw drivers - not bad for a dollar
multiple functional LED cheapo flashlights - FREE
shop towels - CHEAP
10 or so tape measures (not bad) - FREE

Some of their stuff is not even worth the cheap price. Gotta know what you are buying. Only buy at the coupon price that they email when you sign up on their email list. Same item might be 30% more in a print add that gets mailed to the house at about the same time.
Old March 9, 2016, 05:05 PM   #8
Doyle

I'll add one you need - the little magnetic parts bowl. Keeps screws/pins/etc all together in the bowl.
Old March 9, 2016, 05:18 PM   #9
foxytwo

I do buy from Harbor Freight, but you have to expect the price you pay is not the best tool or other things. I was a mechanic for 45 years and I bought the best tools to use. I bought some things from Harbor Freight to use in dark machine rooms because of losing things in dimly lit situations. They served their purpose very well, but for the most part I used craftsman or other excellent tools. I have taken back tools to sears that I have used for over 25 years and they replaced the item with no questions asked. I am retired and I buy from Harbor Freight because I do not give them the hard use I used to use.
Old March 11, 2016, 11:28 PM   #10
Prof Young

Tumbler from HF . . .

My brass tumbler is from HF. Have run about 100 load through it and it still works just fine.

On the other hand the furniture clamps I bought there don't hold nearly as tight as I would like.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old March 11, 2016, 11:40 PM   #11
TXAZ

+1 Foxytwo
For most people that aren't professionals, only occasionally using tools vs. every day, as a living, their tools seem to be adequate to do the job, typically at 1/2 to 1/4 the cost. I buy tools and 'stuff' there. The tools that seem to die, do so quickly within their return policy.
I have one of the ammo cases, and for light duty storage, they work fine.

Anything that requires precision parts though, is another story.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 12, 2016, 12:37 AM   #12
iraiam

Now that brands like Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt , and Williams are made in China, just like the HF Pittsburgh brand, what's the difference? Even many Snap-On tools no longer say "USA" on them anymore.

I can personally say HF $29 set of wobbly 1/2" drive impact sockets will last years under daily use. Don't get me wrong, I much rather buy USA tools, that's why I have been buying SK tools.

I have the ginormous vibratory tumbler from HF, I can clean/polish a 1000 count batch of 5.56 brass at once, it's been a good machine.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; March 12, 2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old March 26, 2016, 06:46 PM   #13
Flytyingguy1

Harbor Fright

I've bought a few odds & ends there the powder coat paint 12 oz for $7 it the tackle hop 2oz for $8. I picked up a bench vise for $20 odd dollars that fits my needs. Also cheap throw away odds & ends. I do agree it's not for the professional but you can get some pretty good deals for the advert age Joe.
Old March 26, 2016, 07:56 PM   #14
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraiam View Post
Now that brands like Craftsman, Husky, Kobalt , and Williams are made in China, just like the HF Pittsburgh brand, what's the difference? Even many Snap-On tools no longer say "USA" on them anymore.
It's sad, is it not?

I think there is still a difference, although much diminished. Brand name products were designed in the States and quality controlled by the company, even made in China. HF stuff are mostly copies of the brand name products. They don't copy it right sometimes and the thing works but not working right. I've gone through a few of those sob stories.

-TL
Old March 26, 2016, 10:31 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

I have a lot of their stuff.
The work bench you mentioned is my gun cleaning, light gunsmithing bence.
I have the calibers, work fine.
Various brushes, pics, and assorted cleaning tools.
Magnetic parts dish
One thing I bought, but haven't tried yer is the powder coat system. I got it to try powder coating cast bullets.
Away from the gun room:
I keep one of their cheap tool sets with screw drivers, ratchets, sockets, wrenches, hex keys hammer, etc. in tye storage box on my ATV trailer. Also one of their cheap, usually give away, multimeters. Figure they would do for simple repairs that might save a lost 4-wheelin' weekend.
I also save up the freebie cupons, and pick up the meters, tape measures, flashlights, and what ever they are giving away throughout the year for attendance prizes at a trout tournament in February.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 27, 2016, 06:09 AM   #16
iraiam

Quote:
It's sad, is it not?

I think there is still a difference, although much diminished. Brand name products were designed in the States and quality controlled by the company, even made in China. HF stuff are mostly copies of the brand name products. They don't copy it right sometimes and the thing works but not working right. I've gone through a few of those sob stories.
I'll agree with that. I think the quality of tools at HF and from China in general has vastly improved over the last 20 years, I see many co-workers going the HF/China tool route these days, and they get exceptional service life from the Pittsburgh brand, and others.

There comes a point where I just won't pay above a certain price for a Chinese tool/wrench. To give an example, I needed a 21mm combination wrench to dedicate to my lathe, Craftsman wanted over $12 for the Chinese Craftsman wrench, I said NO WAY! I wound up getting the Husky wrench for $3.49 + Tax.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 27, 2016, 07:58 AM   #17
TXAZ

25% off coupon today only - PM if you need

They sent out 25% off coupons for today only (usual exclusions and serial numbered).
I get multiple, PM me if you need one and I'll email / PM / Post it it to you.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 27, 2016, 07:02 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I avoid their tools, but their big tool cabinets are exceptional value and half or less the cost of Craftsman.
I bought one. Six months in a shop being used daily and it was time to replace it with a 30 year old Kennedy. The HF one is still in my garage and isn't worse for wear only getting opened once or twice a week and hardly ever moved around.

The magnetic parts dishes on sale are one hell of a buy.

Otherwise I'll just go with used quality tools.
Old March 27, 2016, 10:44 PM   #19
Moonglum

Never buy anything with moving parts from Harbor Freight.

I like their dead blow hammers and, as someone said earlier, those magnetic trays rock and I have a nice drift pin set from them.

My first day working in a machine shop I showed up with a set of calipers from them the inspector took my measuring tools for calibration and return them to me and told me they hadn't bothered to calibrate them and that I was to take them home and never use them in their shop again
Old April 5, 2016, 12:55 PM   #20
dschifan

The ammo boxes are not bad at all, especially with a $4 coupon. the magnetic parts tray with a free coupon is awesome. Their big general tool chests put craftsmen to shame. A lot of stuff is definite junk but some stuff cannot be beat!
Old April 5, 2016, 05:09 PM   #21
Corona

Honestly, I had a HF 18 volt electric drill. Best drill I ever owned until I dropped it about 12 feet on the concrete driveway. Shattered upon impact.

I let my bud talk me into a Ryobi set - drill, saw, sawzall - with two batteries. Very nice tools but the batteries - NiCad - just sucked. And died within the year. Had to buy a Ryobi string trimmer to get the lithium ion battery (was cheaper to buy the string trimmer on sale with the battery than it was to buy the battery alone. Go figure. I needed the trimmer anyway.)

NOW these are good tools. But I swear, when these give out I'm going back to HF.
Old April 6, 2016, 04:32 PM   #22
brasscollector

Used to go to HF quite a bit, now not so much.
Three things I have/had that were HF tools which actually made a good impression:
Ultrasonic cleaner. This is the $100-ish dollar unit, not the small jewelry cleaner. Big enough to put gun parts into. Used (thrashed) it like a stolen bike for years, just kept taking punishment (spilled water, tumbled off the bench, etc). Someone is probably still using that thing..
Powder Coating system. Just surprised it worked at all. It is/was a super jenky setup that could only be improved upon..but it worked. I gave up after doing some successful powder coating (mostly just covering myself in powder either setting up or putting away).
High flow air hose Quick-Connects. By far and away the best tool/product apples-apples at HF. I use these exclusively on my own air hoses and tools at home.