The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 15, 2001, 11:06 PM   #1
straightShot

I'm looking for information on a German single shot .22 rifle. The markings that I've been able to find say "DRP Germany" and "Deutsche Werke Werkefurt".

It's a unique .22. To load, a knob is pulled straight back and then flipped up to open it, and the spent round ejected. A single round can then be reinserted and the top cover brought back down. The knob is then pulled back enough to lock it up.

Thanks,

straightShot
Old March 18, 2001, 12:05 PM   #2
SDC

Hi, Straightshot. I've seen a rifle similar to this one (it's in our collection at the lab), and it sounds like the same thing. The "DRP" markings stand for "Deutches Reichs Patents" ("German Patents"), and "Deutche Werke Erfurt" was the name and location of the manufacturer. The one I've seen also has Deutche Werkes logo on the top cover, a stylized, crouching dragon with a large tail; the tail arches up over the dragon's head, forning a large "D". These were made after WW1 in Germany as "boy's guns", and yours was probably brought back after WW2. Hope this helps.
Stacey C.
Old March 18, 2001, 01:03 PM   #3
Herodotus

This won't help a lot on the rifle, but Erfurt was one of the major gun making towns of old Germany, like Suhl and Zella-Mehlis. It was site of a Royal Armory, later a huge plant that made many thousands of Gewehr 98's in WWI and no doubt much more. It was also the home many small gunsmiths and their shops who made all sorts of arms on a small run or custom basis.
Unfortunately, it fell into the Soviet zone and became part of East Germany. With nearly 50 years of of Communist rule marked by a double hatred of small entrepenuers and arms in the hands of the common citizen, much of the knowledge of these samll makers is lost. There is no really good soucre of information in English about these people, so when these old arms turn up in the U.S., there is little that that can be said about them except that they are neat and interesting weapons.
You might try posting a question about your arm on a German weapons board. The one below has an English board and I got an interesting response on one of my arms at this site recently:
http://www.wo-system.com/cgi-bin/Ult...assCookie=true
P.S: I think you also need to be a little more clear in your discription of the arm if you expect a good response from thes non-English speakers. Describe as many marks and logos as you can and don't mistake spellings. Use a magnifying glass to read small stamped in marks, don't guess.
Old March 19, 2001, 11:55 AM   #4
straightShot

Thanks for the info. It has the logo on top as well as a raised logo on the side of the stock.

If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll take a couple photos and post them.

straightShot

We'll see if this works...

With the action open

Side View

Logo with "Mod I" below it

Logo on buttstock

[Edited by straightShot on 03-20-2001 at 05:35 PM]
Old March 21, 2001, 09:10 AM   #5
straightShot

Thanks for all the info.

straightShot
Old March 22, 2001, 10:21 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Deutsche Werke (German Works) is probably best known in this country for their pocket pistols, commonly called the "Ortgies" from the patent holder. Thousands were imported between the wars and they were a popular war souvenir, though never adopted or used officially by the German armed forces.

Jim